How much to ship elk meat and rack?

ELKLOVER

For those of you that know what would you expect to pay to ship a bull elk rack and meat from Wyoming to Iowa? What's the best way to do it? Thanks.

BASED ON MY BULL FROM WYOMING TO CALIFORNIA A FEW YEARS BACK, I GUESSTIMATE $400 BUCKS PLUS. I WAS IN A PRIVATE PLANE AND WE WERE ALL READY OVERLOADED.......MEAT GOT SHIPPED......OUCH !!!.....YD.

Call UPS to see what their overnight or one day rates would be for so many pounds of meat. I have no idea if they would charge for the rack by weight, size, a combination of the two or what. I think they would probably have the best rates of the choices you would have. Maybe you could even put some feelers out to hunters on a few websites and see if anybody would be able to take it from wherever it is and drop it off along the freeway near where you need it shipped. I can tell you if you ship it to get it there in sufficient time to maintain proper temperatures it will cost more than you will probably want to pay. I assume you're flying and you may find that the airline you're going on will be the best way even if it costs more than ground transportation. The points on the rack would probably have to be well protected or maybe even put in a container, which could be costly. Maybe someone could at least take the rack and drop it off soemwhere on there way back east. Just throwing out a few thoughts!

Thanks for the advice guys. It's actually for a buddy of mine. He lives in Iowa and I'm just trying to help him get a few things figured out before he gets here and shoots that monster bull!......We hope anyways.

I drive all the way from MI out to the west side of the BigHorns and have camp set up before dark the second night. It would seem like with him being a lot closer to Wyoming that it would be simpler and cheaper to drive and take everything back in his vehicle. Even if he flies out and back he would have to figure a day lost each way. For the little bit of extra time and money savings not having to pay for meat/rack shipment, unless there is a huge reason not to, I would think driving would be the best option. He also wouldn't have to worry about his guns.

Another option I have seen recommended is get a refundable ticket, then if you tag a monster, rent a uhaul and drive all of it back and get ur money back on the leg you didn't take.

Wow, I hope it's not that much. Or maybe I hope it is and then he'll just have to leave the meat with me, ha! Well, his ticket is already bought, so I guess we'll just do what we need to do. I hope it all works out for him though. Thanks again.

The last bull we shipped was in 2010. It was an 8 year old bull and we checked in 510 lbs at the butcher shop. I helped package it in 6 different coolers and the entire shipment was $650 and some change. That was without the rack. The rack was mounted and it was $1500 just to ship the mount with insurance. If you are shipping meat, it's not cheap at all. If you have time, flash freeze it and pack in on a plane. It's cheaper to pay the excess baggage fee.

It's always an adventure!!!

As far as the horns do what most taxidermist do cut the skull plate down the middle, lay each side together and that will greatly reduce the size of the shipping box needed, cover the points with garden hose or wrap them good with packing.

As far as the meat...i'll do ya a favor and meet you at the state line and take all the meat off your hands free of charge! Just have it wrapped, frozen and packed nicely in boxes for me. No worries!! Save you a ton of shipping costs!

That's funny. Would you like it wrapped in plastic wrap before the paper too? How would you like the packages labeled?

Splitting the skull sounds OK, but he's kind of screwed doing that if he just wants a euro mount, right? Hell, he's got to kill one first.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom