Hows life around Boise?

J

jay_izzo

My wife and I have decided to try and relocate to the Boise area. I know there is a bunch of rivers, i'm an avid fisherman, but hows the hunting? I have a friend that hunts a lot north of there and is pretty successful for white tails. How is the elk and bird hunting?

Great fishing in the Boise river downtown. Big browns.
Hunting...well you have unit 40, but its a controlled draw.
Have heard to the North the whitetail hunting is pretty good. You want to stay away from unit 39.

Chuck in Boise

Plenty of good bird hunting here in the valley. Mountains are close by, deer and elk hunting in 39 isn't so bad if you get away from the roads. Plenty of other areas to hunt within 2-3 hrs drive though.

>Great fishing in the Boise river
>downtown. Big browns.
>Hunting...well you have unit 40, but
>its a controlled draw.
>Have heard to the North the
>whitetail hunting is pretty good.
> You want to stay
>away from unit 39.
>
>
>Chuck in Boise

Not to discount Freebird's advice, as it can be true in some cases. But I remember his posts from a year or two back about him and unit 39 not getting along. I wouldn't be so quick to write off the popular OTC units close to Boise. There is good hunting to be had within 2 hours of Boise, for both deer and elk.

Boise is a great place to live. I think the only place that could tempt me to move from the Treasure Valley is maybe somewhere in Montana. But the cold and wind up there keep me in SW Idaho.

>Great fishing in the Boise river
>downtown. Big browns.
>Hunting...well you have unit 40, but
>its a controlled draw.
>Have heard to the North the
>whitetail hunting is pretty good.
> You want to stay
>away from unit 39.
>
>
>Chuck in Boise

Unit 40 is a good one, for deer, elk and antelope. I grew up in unit 40, killed a lot of deer there, but its all controlled hunting other than a general 2 point season. Don't for a second think that unit 40 is the only place to hunt. There are nearly 80 units in Idaho, and most of them have better opportunities to hunt than unit 40.

There are lots and lots and lots of good places to hunt within 2 hours of Boise. In fact, we often hunt an OTC unit less than 2 hours from Boise and have killed several 300" plus bulls, and a few over 330", all OTC, mostly archery.

The hunting can be great if you are willing to put in some work. As a rule, controlled hunts are better than general: this is not an absolute, all encompassing rule. There are many exceptions. I'm sure even a few guys here would be willing to point you in the right direction after you move here, if you asked politely.

As far as living here, I grew up here, then I lived in South Carolina, upstate New York and Virginia, as well as drove coast to coast twice. I'm sure there are lots of nice places to live, but I chose to come back here and don't see much reason to leave.

Yes thats my issue with unit 39, too many people and people driving all over with ATV's. If you get off the beaten path you can find animals.

Chuck in Boise

The majority of the states population lives in the Boise area. It also has the majority of the states libtards residing there. That said, it is still the cleanest city I have ever been in here in the U.S. Conservatives still outnumber the libtards. Lately the homos have been making waves at the capitol, as is their nature. The state is game rich, however some areas that I used to hunt have seen a serious decline in elk and deer numbers in the past decade.
The Treasure Valley is a great place to live. Mild climate, plenty of fish, foul and critters to chase there and close by and the vast majority of people are great.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom