Hunting BLM Property included in CWMUs

captain68

So, I was looking at my OnX maps, and it appears as though a large chunk of BLM land that my family has hunted for years is now included in a CWMU. Maybe it has always been this way, and I have never known, but that is besides the point. The question I have for all of you is, can I hunt the BLM property included in this CWMU? This BLM property is not locked in the middle of the private property, and is easily accessible by county roads. I have a hard time believing that the state can shut of my access to hunt federal property. Thoughts?

I've heard BLM can sell or trade their land. Maybe this is the case with the property you're talking about ?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-18 AT 11:26AM (MST)[p]Public lands can be included in a CWMU. Although I think you are correct that they are typically suppsoed to be landlocked public lands. Follow up on this issue and let us know what you find out. This is just one of the things that bother me about CWMUs.

I am editing my post to include the statutory language from R657-37-3, which provides as follows:

(4)(a) Cooperative Wildlife Management Units organized for hunting big game or turkey shall consist of private land to the extent practicable.

(b) The Wildlife Board may approve a CWMU containing public land only if:

(i) the public land is completely surrounded by private land or is otherwise inaccessible to the general public;

(ii) the public land is necessary to establish an enforceable boundary clearly identifiable to both the general public and public and private permit holders; or

(iii) the public land is necessary to achieve statewide and unit management objectives.

(c) If any public land is included within a CWMU, the landowner association must meet applicable federal and state land use requirements on the public land.

(d) The Wildlife Board shall increase the number of permits or hunting opportunities made available to the general public to reflect the proportion of public lands to private lands within the CWMU pursuant to Subsection R657-37-4(3)(a)(iv).

-Hawkeye-

My Favorite Expo Tag Quotes:

"It is fair to ask how much comes in with the five dollar application fees and how much went onto the ground.? Don Peay of SFW during 3/31/2005 Wildlife Board Meeting.

"There will be a full accounting of how the applications fees are spent.? Don Peay of SFW - 9/26/2006 - Monstermuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-18 AT 11:30AM (MST)[p]Go to the DWR website to look at the CWMU map. Maybe OnX in wrong.

If it is a CWMU it should be posted. If it is not posted and is BLM hunt away.

If it is posted, do more research because your general tag is not good for a CWMU. Also check the species the CWMU is operating for. Maybe it is only for CWMU antelope and then you could hunt the BLM portion for deer. Etc.

Heartshot nailed it.
Let us know what you find about the land in question

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-18 AT 02:24PM (MST)[p]I guess 4(b)(ii) and (iii) could help explain it, but I think this might be a situation where this would be a stretch. I measured it out and this is a 6,300 acre section of BLM land, and it's not checker boarded, it's a big continuous section. The CWMU information actually states that it is 9406 acres of private and 10,400 of public. The CWMU is for Elk and we hunt deer on it, but it is posted with those yellow signs, so it makes me a little nervous to go in. I could see someone getting upset if we were in there chasing deer when they were chasing elk on their CWMU hunt. It just doesn't seem right that they can have a CWMU with more public land in it than private.

If that CWMU is only for Elk, then you can hut deer on those public lands.

Be careful in looking to see if its posted, the CWMU only has to post corners, roads, trails, and streams.

2a0fcsk.gif

With everyone having OnX now I wish they would do away with trade lands to make boundaries "cleaner"
That seems like a ton of public land to include in a cwmu

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom