Hunting Boots

Elkextreme

In the market to upgrade my boots, been researching and have narrowed it down to the Crispi Boots
Primarily the Wild Rock GTX, Idaho GTX and Nevada. All and info on this boots based on experience will be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine is using Crispis and really likes them. I believe he is using the Idaho gtx which is the uninsulated model. I had been using the lowa hunter gtx for a long time and switched to Kuiu?s Scarpa rebel k gtx and can't say enough good things about them, now I own two pairs.

After searching for good boots for years, I have found that great boots for one guy are not always great for another. That is true because every one of us has different feet structure.
If you are lucky to have common feet then your needs are easier met than some of us.
I am not one of the lucky guys who has typical feet. So with that in mind I'd be careful about relying too much on what one guy tells you as opposed to another.
I know guys that love their Crispi's but they don't work for me. I would advise you to go to a store where you can try on different brands for comparison and talk to someone that know's something about feet. Generally you get what you pay for and there are lots of good boot makers out there so don't go with one, just because your buddy uses them.

Because of my issues, I have had to go to Lathrop and Sons in order to get my boots custom fitted and that has helped a great deal. Hopefully you don't have to go to that trouble or expense. :)

Best of luck

Littlebighorn is absolutely right and there are a lot of good boots on the market. I also have a friend that had terrible problems with his feet blistering and Lathrop and sons fixed his problems. A lot of these boot company?s are selling there boots with crappy insoles including Scarpa, I now use custom insoles which really has an arch this causes me to order a half size larger. Good luck

Another vote for Meindl. I've had mine for 11 years. I wear them almost daily. Lots of hiking, scouting, hunting, and even fly fishing small mountain creeks. The construction of them is still 100%. I've resoled them once. Always kept my feet warm and dry and never a blister.The model I have are called Perfekt.

They look like they'd go another 11 years. Made in Germany and sold by Cabelas.

11 years? What size shoe do you wear. If you wear larger than 11 1/2 They have a stiffer sole on the Perfkt Hunters.

The best move I ever made for boots was getting custom orthotics made. I used to get hot spots and blisters pretty bad depending how far I was going but since I got orthotics I've never had a blister.

>11 years? What size shoe do
>you wear. If you wear
>larger than 11 1/2 They
>have a stiffer sole on
>the Perfkt Hunters.

I wear a size 13. I couldn't believe how long the original soles lasted. I really do wear them a lot. It's the only boots I have and I only wear boots. I threw away all my other boots when these Meindl's wouldn't wear out. I planned on buying another pair when these started to go, but it hasn't happened yet. Great boots.

Why Crispi specifically? They are for sure a great boot but you should try some on if you are dropping that much money.

For me Zamberlan Lynx are the most comfortable. I also have Kenetrek ME which shine for humping out heavy loads of meat but for hunting I still prefer the Zams.

I'm a crazy flatlander, I get that, but I can't say enough good things about my Salomon GTX2 mid hikers. After wearing different "hiking/hunting" boots from Danner, Irish setter, Lowa etc it was amazing how nimble I felt once in the field. Good ankle support and could walk for a year in them. The old Danner Pronghorns are another tried and true boot.

I think the comments above are true. One boot brand does not work for all and I cannot figure out why such expensive boots use such poor insoles? I have tried several brands as well and I keep coming back to Lowa. I own the Hunter, Tibet, Ranger and Renegade. For me this boot brand has been the best "out of the box" and requires little break in time.
Good luck.

Well I want to say thanks for all your valued opinions and inputs. I tried on numerous of boots, high and middle end boots. Like everyone said every boots will feel different, true to that.
I finally went with Cabela?s Meindl Denali. This boot fit like a glove even with some thick socks.
Some of the other boots were more expensive but didn't feel good.
So thank you all for your opinions which I appreciated very much.
I hope you all draw at least one tag this year.
Safe hunting...

I've found that Goodyear?s agree with my back the best.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-18 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]I had MEINDL's and they stunk - so far as keeping my feet dry. So, I have been looking for a good boot as well. But I was surprised to hear the good comments about MEINDL. I took a pair back because they leaked (supposed to be Goretex). Just traded them for another pair and my feet got wet again with the next pair. Both my nephews had bought Meindls as well. They had the same problem.

I loved the boot. The most comfortable and lightweight boot I've ever had. They would be topnotch if they kept the water out. Hunting with MEINDL's on those drizzly days through brush that is wet, makes for a cold wet day when your feet are wet an hour later, and the temperature starts dropping as the sun goes down.

Just curious if those that like the boot ever had them leak as your walking through wet grass and brush.

Great Question Rack, I've wondered if the water was going down my leg into the top of the boot or through the seams. My ten inch meindls keep water out, the 8s not so much. But they are comfortable.

No boot will keep you completely dry in very wet swamp conditions except rubber boots give them a try.......... Leather is not water proof.I will take COMFORT over Dry feet any day.
CC

I had meindls. Never had a leak, but socks will wick water in.

I picked up a pair of crispi west river from scheels. Not worn enough hard core, but they are comfy. Hoping they are an in between from light weight hikers, and the hard core mtn boots. 400gr.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-18
>AT 12:27?PM (MST)

>
>I had MEINDL's and they stunk
>- so far as keeping
>my feet dry. So, I
>have been looking for a
>good boot as well.
>But I was surprised to
>hear the good comments about
>MEINDL. I took a
>pair back because they leaked
>(supposed to be Goretex).
>Just traded them for another
>pair and my feet got
>wet again with the next
>pair. Both my nephews
>had bought Meindls as well.
> They had the same
>problem.
>
>I loved the boot. The
>most comfortable and lightweight boot
>I've ever had. They
>would be topnotch if they
>kept the water out. Hunting
>with MEINDL's on those drizzly
>days through brush that is
>wet, makes for a cold
>wet day when your feet
>are wet an hour later,
>and the temperature starts dropping
>as the sun goes down.
>
>
>Just curious if those that like
>the boot ever had them
>leak as your walking through
>wet grass and brush.

You have to be careful which Meindl model you buy. The good ones are made in Germany. The bad ones are made in Asia. You can thank Cabelas for the ones made in Asia. Mine never leak and I don't rock hop crossing creeks. I just walk through the water.

To the OP......You bought the good ones made in Germany.

I have the Meindl Perfekt boot and love it. I've bought the insulated and non-insulated Meindl's and they've been great. They are great out of the box, and no break in time needed. Outstanding warranty policy as well. I tore a sole off of an older pair I had and Cabelas replaced them with no questions asked.
Good luck with whatever you go with.

heywouldya

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-18 AT 08:39PM (MST)[p]I have heard really good things on the new under armor fat tire boots I think there called

Hey Muley,

I did buy my MeindL's at Cabellas. So, who sells the MeindL's made in Germany? If I can find the MeindL that doesn't leak, then that would be my optimum boot. Where did you get your MeindL's if you don't mind me asking?

A lot of good advice on here. I happen to have morton's neuroma's in both feet and plantar faciitis in my left foot. Stiff boots work well for me. I purchased a stretcher so I can adjust my boots to fit me best. Reason though I'm chiming in is because no one has mentioned Schnee's Granite boots. Bought a pair Granite II for my son and have been really impressed with them. He wears the crap out of them. Put them through a lot of rock, water just about everything. They have held up much better than my Kenetreks by far. A well built boot for sure. Mendel's have failed myself and friends badly. Soles falling off of them. I wouldn't go on a trip with just one pair if I were wearing Mendel's. Good luck luck to all. Hope you all draw a tag of your life time this year.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-18 AT 08:01AM (MST)[p]>Hey Muley,
>
>I did buy my MeindL's at
>Cabellas. So, who sells
>the MeindL's made in Germany?
>If I can find the
>MeindL that doesn't leak, then
>that would be my optimum
>boot. Where did you
>get your MeindL's if you
>don't mind me asking?

edit....For cripes sake! I wrote you a long answer and it doesn't show. I have to do something. I'll come back later and answer you again.

Rackster........If you go to the Cabelas website and read the description of each model. Look at the end of the description. It will either say Made in Germany or it will say Imported. The imported models are made in Asia.

Maybe the quality of Meindl's has gone down hill. I don't know. Mine are 12 years old and I bought them at Cabelas. I suspect when you hear of problems with Meindl's it's the Asian made versions.

Didn't Cabelas offer to replace your Meindl's? What model do you have?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-18 AT 06:23AM (MST)[p]Cosmic......have you ever woke up in your one man tent, 5 miles in the back country to hike into that basin 30 minutes away and you can't even get the MEFERS on because they are frozen solid from the water that leaked inside from bushwhacking across the bottom of a basin as it rained/snowed. So you cram your feet into those facking ice blocks and lace em up. You realize this little jont to the next basin is nearly vertical.....with frozen boots, now you have 3 blisters per foot and still have cold feet as you sit to glass up that 200 inch buck you worked so hard to find pre season. If you've never experienced this scenario do to equipment failure then I hope you never do. 500 bucks for boots and they better fit AND be water proof. Sweat and saturated, frozen exterior leather is totally a different story.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

I have the Meindl Denali Fit IQ, and have really enjoyed them. They have been by far better then the many Danners I have tried. Mine are sold exclusively by Cabelas.

Muley,

Thanks for tip. I will look the Meindel's up again and take a look at the description.

Cabellas did replace them with the same boot, but the 2nd pair had the same problem. They also offered to let me get a different boot. That is where I am at right now - looking at different boots they have.

Lieca -

That's a good description of my experience with my Meindel boots that leaked.

>Muley,
>
>Thanks for tip. I will
>look the Meindel's up again
>and take a look at
>the description.
>
>Cabellas did replace them with the
>same boot, but the 2nd
>pair had the same problem.
> They also offered to
>let me get a different
>boot. That is where I
>am at right now -
>looking at different boots they
>have.
>
>Lieca -
>
>That's a good description of my
>experience with my Meindel boots
>that leaked.

I'm curious if the model you have are made in Asia or Germany?

Meindl perfect Hikers are a great boot. Except for a 20 year old pair of Italian made Vasque I have there my favorite.

liecabucks - you hit the nail on the head! Excellent post. I bought a pair of boots made by Han Wag in Germany via Lathrop & Sons. Best boots I ever owned. Great fit and waterproof if one maintains the leather as advised. Finally wore them out after 10 years and hunting all over the world. I'm considering Zamberlan GTX women's since I have a very narrow B width foot. My right foot is size 8.5 and my left foot is size 9. Can't get much more difficult to fit feet like mine. Ideally I need an 8.5 boot for the right and a 9 for the left. But no manufacturer that I know of is going to split up a pair of boots because they would then be left with two boots they could not sell as a pair. If anybody knows of a solution to my problem please advise. Like liecabucks says, if I'm going to drop $300 - $500 on a pair of boots they better fit and they better be waterproof!

How in the world do you guys get so many years out of a pair of boots? I do spend a ton of time hiking and weigh about 200"s.i go thru a pair a year. When I was younger I would go through 2 pairs of Perfect Hunters. Any advice?

>How in the world do you
>guys get so many years
>out of a pair of
>boots? I do spend a
>ton of time hiking and
>weigh about 200"s.i go thru
>a pair a year. When
>I was younger I would
>go through 2 pairs of
>Perfect Hunters. Any advice?
Sloooooow Down .

>How in the world do you
>guys get so many years
>out of a pair of
>boots? I do spend a
>ton of time hiking and
>weigh about 200"s.i go thru
>a pair a year. When
>I was younger I would
>go through 2 pairs of
>Perfect Hunters. Any advice?

I'm a still hunter. It's hard to wear out boots when you're only taking one step every minute.

Ok, just kidding. I am a still hunter but I wear the boots every day of the year. Beats me why my boots last so long. I'm as surprised as you. I do treat them every 3 mo with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. I'm sure that helps some.

I consider myself pretty hard on equipment, especially boots. My Meindl's have held up very well, but as Muley said, you have to take care of them. Meaning oil and sometimes additional waterproofing.
I've blow the sole off of one pair, but I had absolutely no tread left on those boots.
This is just my opinion and experience that I've hade. Best boot I've owned, but with that being said, there are a few boot options mentioned earlier, that I haven't tried.
The German made Meindl are the boots I buy.
Good luck,
heywouldya

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom