HUNTING ONLY ONE STATE!

idahoforkhorn

so I hear a lot of arguments on hunting public land and I can understand both sides of the argument local guys have been hunting certain areas "forever" and out of state guys "steal" hunting areas. and then you have points in all the states, and point creep. and in Idaho you have the "everybody" has a chance to draw.

I have been thinking about the draws in Idaho lately and there are people that want to change it to you have to decide what weapon you want to use, rifle or muzzleloader or bow. and I think that each state kind of has its own benefits. I like in Idaho that I can hunt with a bow and if I do not have time to hunt that much, or I just didn't find the one. that I can still hunt with my rifle. I think Idaho's down fall is being able to buy two deer tags or two elk tags. I get that they were already put aside and they are just leftover tags. but it seems like a money game.

so I was just thinking what if you had to choose ONE state to hunt in per animal, say you draw a deer tag in Wyoming you would not be able to hunt Idaho, and Utah, and Montana. I mean its all public ground right. why do we need to kill more than one a year. and to those that do hunt in multiple states do you use the meat? is it given away? what are the pros and cons of hunting more than one state? besides that you get to kill more. I would like to hear both sides of this.

You won't get anything but crickets on this one, it's not a good plan by any means. So you have max bonus points in 2 states and draw in both. One is forfeit? Think it through, a state can barely manage themselves, now you want them to manage with each other? And residents in idaho who buy two tags pay non res prices, which equals substantial money for the idfg, sure let's take money from the game departments that's going to solve a lot of problems. Just because you can't fill a tag with one good deer every year does not mean we should punish those who spend the money and put forth the effort to fill 2. Work harder.

I love killing 2 deer a year! I buy a tag at maverick up yhe street and hunt deer in wy. Then being a nonresident to ut me and my brother can pretty much draw any general season unit in the state every year! all the meat gets eaten if not by me and my girls it goes to deserving family.
hornkiller.jpg

For me and my clan we hunt multiple states just to get enough meat. The last two years we have harvested 10 elk in three different states. Feeding 19 mouths along with some given to those who could use it. My freezer is about empty. We are meat hunters and shoot cows mostly. But there is more meat on bulls and I do like the horns. So I vote no to the one state hunt rule.

DZ

Come on oilcan if you don't throw your hat in the ring this may become a reality someday. And all it takes is the inaction of good men.

Well then you can call me selfish but I have a lot more Hunting seasons behind me then I do in front of me so I'm gonna Hunt as much as I can. I will be hunting Deer in California,Wyoming and Colorado this year along with Elk and Antelope so I would not want to have to pick just one state.

I'm glad to hear it oilcan, I hope you kill trophies on memorable hunts on every tag. What this man is claiming to be the answer is asinine. People on this site should stand up to such stupidity. If you post up a couple bucks of giant status I will congratulate you for your efforts and if I may say luck, as it will be well deserved. I'm tired of people who can't seem to harvest, due to the systems, blame the system when lack of effort are actually their downfall.

Here's the flaw in your post. You're not recognizing the Sovereignty of a state. Because of Sovereignty the wildlife of each state, belongs to that state and the responsibility of law enforcement belongs to that state on private and public lands. ESA, enabled the Federal government to force states to manage endangered species according to what the Federal government requires, but Federal involvement in a state ends there.
So whether your idea is good or not, won't never happen.

If a guy loves to HUNT, why limit himself to one state? I've been on elk hunts in every western state except Washington and I wouldn't trade those varied experiences for anything. In the last 3 years I've hunted elk in Nevada and Arizona and I'm about to leave for a New Mexico elk hunt next week. I wouldn't want to have to stick to only one state.

Let's just get all 50 states to sign on to this. Then we'll have a federally regulated Hunting Agency...

No Thank You...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I think there is a point that is missed here. States do not regulate hunting primarily as a recreational activity or to advance the interests of hunters. I grant that they may try to give deference to the wishes and interests of hunters, but that is not their primary mission. I believe they regulate hunting primarily as an efficient and cost effective tool for managing game animal populations.

If the population of species X is too small per management goals, the number of issued permits is constrained; if the population of species X is too great (elk in Colorado, for example), the number of issued permits is increased. There a lot of different variations on this theme -- more seasons, shorter seasons, fewer seasons -- but it really comes down to managing populations to a management goal.

As I said, while states give deference to the interests of hunters, satisfying hunters is not the primary object. The idea of throwing in the complexity of coordinating already complicated preference point systems and limited draw systems among multiple states is not something they are going to do.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-16 AT 09:08AM (MST)[p]hey nv bones, I never said that I don't hunt other states and that I was against hunting in other states, you seem like the guy thought that comes into Idaho and pushes for resident to have to choose a weapon because it would give you a better chance to draw.

and I am not sure why you start attacking me about "working harder" apparently you must know me pretty well to make statements like that. but you seem like one of the loud mouth guys that have to make statements like that to get people to listen to them.

oilcan I think that is great that you are hunting a lot and I know the feeling when people start saying things that could take away your hunting rights. my main thing was starting a conversation on this was to see what the opinion would be because just like this people are trying to take away my hunting rights as a resident making me choose a weapon so that they have better chances of drawing a good tag.

but it seems that non residents like to try and push to change the way the state handles there hunts, me personally if I hunt in another state im just grateful to be there. if I don't like how they have there hunts set up then I don't have to put in there again. but guys like nv bones that go into a state and its not how they want it they bi*ch and moan because it is not the best for them.

and by the way I was not trying to start a war, I just don't like being called stupid or being told that I don't work hard enough by some body I have never met.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-16 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]I don't believe this idea would affect me much because I don't hunt outside of Utah anyway. And the only reasons I would hunt another state are: 1) The species doesn't live in Utah (whitetails, coues deer, tule elk, blacktail, javelina, caribou, etc).; 2) The permits are easier to draw for the species and the costs are compatible with my budget/priorities.; 3) I was invited by a friend or relative to hunt with them.

Up to this point, that's only happened once. Many, many years ago, an uncle and aunt invited me and my then new bride up to Washington to hunt elk in the Blue Mountains and since we couldn't afford a honeymoon, that trip became it. We had a great time, even though we didn't get an elk.

I now have a standing invitation to hunt whitetails in Michigan from a friend that I met on the internet and whom I took bowhunting antelope out west of here (Enoch). He took a nice buck and has offered to return the favor, but as yet, we haven't had the time or available money. But it's still on my list.

In any case, I agree with most of the others, that this idea could never happen, nor should it. Not everyone likes to hunt like me and they should be able to make those kinds of decisions on their own without being regulated by laws.

But I'm with you on the insults. There's no call for that sort of rhetoric. With some of us, the money isn't the issue, it's the priorities the money could/should be used for.

Alsatian that is a great point on why we hunt, its an effective tool for managing game animals, everybody gets so caught up in horns and inches and gear and forget why we hunt including myself. I also hunt for memories and to spend the time with my family and friends whether in Idaho or another state.

Sorry but that's just dumb. Every state is managed diff. Why would they wanna lose money. Just makes no sense

I could see States telling Non residents that they are no longer welcome (with Res pony up to pay for loss revenue)long before the States getting together and saying you drew Utah so you can't draw Wyoming. I might have to move to a different State if I'm no longer welcome as a Non Resident. Guess that is why I own a lifetime Idaho license.

DZ

I hunt out of state every year with the intention of having a great trip and hope to bring home meat for my family. I have a handful of unfilled non resident tags over the years that I have no regrets on. I had a great time on all of them, but when I do fill my tags all the meat is consumed by me and my family.

I process myself / eat what I shoot / and share every game animal I get. Non-hunting friends appreciate tasting something they would not otherwise get the opportunity to try.

2f350s: Spend the money on additional licenses and HUNT more!

Basically what you are saying is to let the federal gov't manage our wildlife.... ahhhh, NO!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom