Hunting Rituals...

NC.......WE HEARD YOU LIKE TO "MOUNT EM" ONCE THEY HIT THE DIRT, AND WE AINT TALKIN TAXIDERMY !!!!!!.................YD.

Poor Z, the only reason he waits till they hit the dirt is cuz they're so fast before they hit the dirt.

Not shaving is one of mine too. Getting ready for the hunt is a big one for me. I go through all my gear about 40 times. Especially on an archery hunt. I start bugling during happy time with my woman as well.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

OH YEA........NOW THE HIP WADERS COME OUT......YOU NEVER WORE EM BEFORE..............LOL....................YD.

LMAO hip waders... thats funny!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

>After it hitsd the dirt, I
>rub one off then do
>a victory dance :)

By the looks of your spelling rob it looks like you may of been doing that while posting this...

A very large glass of whiskey or scotch after they go down. otherwise no real rituals besides what was mentioned above.
continually going over and over gear, prepping and lots of shooting in the back yard.

"I start bugling during happy time with my woman as well."
ROFLMFAO!!!!

Dude that is the funniest thing I've seen in a while!!!

I'm gonna tell my wife how lucky she is that I only bugle/cow call while I'm out bbq'ing, or working in the yard!

Anyway, I have the not shaving thing, started my beard this week, as antelope opens up next week. I also go through my stuff, and move it from place to place at least 50 times. ALWAYS listen to ONLY country music while in my vehicle to camp, or while on the way to my favorite hunting spot. (the animals all seem to like Colt Ford) And finally read, and re-read my favorite hunting mags, or how-to books for the six months leading up to my first hunt.

Jbo

You didn't just admit to listening to Colt Ford...yip, I guess you did. That's one thing that needs to change asap.

Hit the range one last time a few days before taking off. Stop shaving, listen to country on the way. Not wear any of the clothes im hunting in till I get there, and if I get anything, once it and all my gear gets to the truck, ill have a few beers.

After the shot and when I'm butchering is when my ritual starts . In most cases I'll bury the heart where the animal died .

It's just a little way that I honor the animal and show my respect .

For many years, i hosted a kegger and BBQ at my house the night before opener on our local deer season. Most of the guys i invited were guys that i had either hunted or talked hunting with thru the years. Everybody brought wild game for the BBQ, We'd have salmon, pheasant, quail, Elk, pig,...whatever was left from last season and there was always plenty.

I had a big covered Patio that had good speakers piped in from the house. After eats, the serious party got going and more friends would show. We danced, drank, and generally celebrated the new hunting season. Couple times, there was no sleep to be had before i'd be on the mountain, sweating it all out. Good days!

Joey

No ritual before the hunt,but once's it down you must hang the sack or utters in a tree for good luck in upcoming season's.

hope i don't get hammered for hang'n utter's

Oh yeah I forgot I listen to country too... but its old country. There's a station I get just outside of town that plays all old country like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Georgs Jones...ect. Cannot go with out that. Oh and can beer. Nothing like a can of yellow Coors the night before the hunt.

I think the beard thing is something everybody does. Although i tend to start mine about first of June so the time hunting comes along its in full swing. Then by the time im done with everything in Nov some time I look better than the Gieco man on the commercials.

We also hang the testes in a tree or in the brush. Our story is that when they fall, they "plant the seeds" for another big buck/bull in the future.

I also look up to the southern sky (at night, uusally before daylight)and look at Orion - the hunter - and say a hopeful prayer for a safe and successful hunt.

Annual ritual:
I usually start with a few beers the night before the hunt, then shoot my rifle at the empties. I get up on the opener and drive my quad too hard too far (off road) and get into a piszing match with other hunters along the way. I then aimlessly wander the hills spooking game so it takes days before anyone will see it again. At the end of the day, since I'm happy with my over-effort, I have a bunch more beers. The next day I sleep-in because I'm too tired and hung-over. About noon I start to pack my gear which was flung around camp during my drunken stuper. I get packed up and head home with the deep satisfaction that I gave it my all. Upon my return to civilization I post on MM how hard I hunted and tell all about my supreme effort to kill a big one. "oh, I can't wait until next year", "I live for this stuff"

Love, Zeke

Not really a ritual, maybe more of a tradition, I like to grill ribeyes and serve with fried potatoes and some fresh garden veggies,then finish with a peach and blackberry cobbler. Never had a complaint from anyone in camp.

Getting tuned up by 4:00pm the day before so I can go to bed early and get a good nights sleep to wake up at 3:00 AM TO GET READY FOR THE FIRST DAY ADVENTURE..

When I was a young buck, we would put the scrotum of the first buck we shot on the gear shift knob of the transfer case of the truck. When it dried it would shrink tight.(a little stinky until then) it did make for quite a conversation piece on the next date(s)

Nice, I like that. Gives a whole new meaning to haulin balls.

Zeke,

The funny thing is that on most of the general rifle hunts, its more fun to ride around on a four wheeler looking at all of the clowns emptying boxes and boxes of shells at a spike. I will never forget the opening morning of the general deer hunt with a buddy on the raft river mountains. More people than I have ever seen and I never had so much fun laughing for 3 hours straight. Do you have any other good places I can check out this year on the opener? I am thinking about setting up a decoy about 50 yards off a major highway on the opening morning and let the good times roll!

I eat 1 pack of Hostess Chocolate Donnets and a glass of milk on the first morning of every hunt. Havn't missed a day in 26 years. Used to wear the same shirt every opening morning but it started to shrink. Funny how old shirts will do that.

On all archery hunts I pull a brand new arrow out or the best one in my quiver and bury it into the top of the tree in camp as my "sacrificial arrow" to the archery gods. I picked that up from my Grandpa as a kid.

Opening morning I unintentionally find a spot that the deer never come to

A post-hunting ritual is getting the biggest Mountain Dew possible at the first gas station

>>>---->
For the love of the game

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom