Hunting & Wildlife Groups-- which do you support?

salsola

Pretty quiet until the regs come out, so I wanted to take an informal survey on which hunting, sportsman or species-specific groups get your support and why. There seems to be a huge range from local to national and those which focus on habitat or policy or advocacy.

I have in the past supported NM Wildlife Federation, RMEF, and Trout Unlimited. I am not a member of any organization currently, but am looking to throw my money and time behind some this year.

Who gets your support?

That is a tough question. There are things I like and hate about all of them.

That being said, get behind the one that supports your beliefs the best. Way to many people only focus on what they do not like about hunting support groups and then do nothing.

I know lots of gun owners that do not like the NRA and they are doing nothing to support the ownership of guns. That pisses me off, because, others are paying their way.

I would like to see one of these groups take more of an interest in the SE part of NM. We need to take drastic steps now to help the deer herd in NM. Pounding units with tags that have a 15% success rate is not helping the problem.

We must have a united front against wolf introduction.

So far there is no group that I agree with 100%, so I belong to a few of them.

Just RMEF,NMWF currently,and dropped a few and maybe NMWF for reasons P stated.
Deer groups are nonexistant from what I have seen in NM.

NRA,RMEF and Mule Deer Foundation. Have supported the MDF almost from its beginning they have great intentions but don't have a good following in NM but they are trying to help deer throughout the west.Have become suspect of the NMWF over them not taking a stand against wolves.But they do stand up for the average hunter. Until these groups look at the science and realize we have to reduce predators, all the habitat restoration will do no good.

Jack

Paul, Hank and Jack-- thanks for your comments and observations. You have expressed my own misgivings about some of the groups out there. The phrase "perfect is the enemy of good" seems to apply here. Plenty that is right with almost all the groups, but few seem to tick all the boxes. For me, at least.

I'm surprised that Mule Deer don't attract a bigger audience or garner more support.

You guys know that I have been elected to the BOD for the NMWF for a few years. I know that there are times when I get frustrated with the lack of REAL participation on issues and the drama that happens on these forums. I will admit I sometimes type too quickly and get baited into responding. Sorry for that...

I have talked to a few of you about some of the issues and all I can say is that when the BOD votes on issues I always vote what I feel what is right for average hunters. I guess I should go on the record for the wolf issue.

This might come out a little shotgun but I want to give you a look into what happens with the NMWF on this issue. These are just my thoughts... and I don't speak for the BOD.

Usually there is some sort of event that happens that gets the wolves in the spot-light. So the BOD looks at the event and tries to figure out if we have any input on the issue. Usually, we don't because it is a federal issue and we really don't have much pull. If I was to show you the emails you would probably be surprised on how many people on the BOD don't want the wolves...

If you look at one of the guiding principles of the NMWF it is the North American Model of Conservation. When it comes to the wolf it basically means "everything has a place it just needs to be managed"... SO I guess that makes sense... BUT times have changed.

So where do I stand on the wolf? Well, I will be honest and say I really don't have much use for them. I have followed several groups in the Gila and one lone wolf on the WMT and I am not real sure if these rat-dogs would survive if their populations weren't artificially propped up. Taking Biology and Science and all that out of the picture, these animals are costing us an arm and leg and the program has pretty much been a failure. When do we say enough is enough??? I don't know that answer but I do know that for me the bottom line is that times have changed, the habitat just isn't there for these wolves... It just isn't...

I also think it is foolish to think that we can "train" these wolves to NOT pick off domestic animals. Heck, if I was a wolf would I go after an wild animal that can defend itself and can run like the wind or snack on Grandma Jane's puppy or slow, dumb and tasty moo cow? I am pretty sure I would take the easiest animal out there and it is fluffy and the moo cow. The CG vs. Wolf battle will ALWAYS be there.

Politics and Money - People on both sides have found a way to make money and get political pull on the issue by fear mongering. People on both sides are going to milk this. I don't think the NMWF has used this issue to raise money and I would push against it if they did.

So to just be clear - I am not a fan of the wolf and I think the entire program needs to be looked at. That being said don't confuse us/me being engaged in the process as support of having the wolf in NM. This is a process and the recent move by the Dept of getting re-engaged in the process is a positive step.

People think that you can RAGE and SCREAM and you are being heard, when you rage and scream people just tune you out and NOTHING happens. In fact, they usually want to push back as they are seeing you in a negative light.

All of this stuff is a process and you need to work with all sides to make something happen.

As far as other groups in NM... I think there are a few great groups that are out there.. TU is one of them... UBNM is another. Other than that most groups are being control by out of state or big money interests(IMO).

One thing that I will stress about the NMWF is that we are the only group that has been able to field a full-time staff, IMO this makes a huge difference with continuity and follow-through... and don't' worry you membership fees don't cover there salaries. Our staff busts there tails for little compensation,,,, I don't know if I would do it.. :(

Like always - you can email me or call me if you have any questions or concerns about this or other issues.

J-
At the national level I think people should track what Randy Newberg(BigFin) is doing... We have worked on a few things and have a few meetings with him and he is a good guy.

Funny think about ticking all the boxes... When I was first approached by the NMWF I was very suspect because of the wolf issue... other than that I was all about them... They fight for the average hunters all the time and they have the resources to make a difference. and then a buddy said..."Sometimes you need to rub up against a skunk to cover your scent".. And that really made sense... I might not always agree with the BOD but I vote what I believe is right and I will fight my butt off for average sportsman...

J-

Give back. Do something positive. That's the bottom line.

If all you do is take, and the only time you give back is to pitch a ##### on this or any other forums, then YOU ARE the problem.

Now is the time to make a change by first changing you mind.

All of us should give back. Give what you have, either time or money or both.

I support the NRA, NM Trappers Association., RMEF, MD Foundation, and several others.

I am not a trapper, but I do believe in trapping, therefore I became a member and support them. You should too.

Great thread men, keep it going.

I have been involved with some of these groups for many years and worked on many projects with them over the years.RMEF,MDF,CDA,NRA.
The only ones to respond to ? about projects I am interested in is RMEF here and limited at best.
I have decided to work on what I can do here at home on my ranch,co-op members ranches and surrounding public lands,legally. I tried to work with NRCS but the Gubberment gets in the way. NMG&F gives limited options and advice. Same with BLM and nothing from state.
As for the Wolf fiasco, above comments say it all and I will not comment further.

Jamaro,

Is your national group pro-wolf or anti-wolf? I personally couldn't support a group that wasn't 100% anti-wolf. I've always gotten the impression (could be the wrong impression) that your organization was pro-wolf or neutral at best.

Sierra (or as you refer to me, Ray Brown)

Not sure... I don't really deal with National but I suspect they are Pro-North American Model. The NM organization is pretty much neutral...

That is kind like Riding the fence,(We are pretty much Neutral) I will spell it out a little clearer they support wolves in every where in the United States including NM.
NM chapter is part of the National Group.( see how that is)
So yes they are part of the wolf movement.
That word neutral is used a lot by groups that are working hard behind the scenes to get their ways in.
now that only my 2 cents worth.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Warren Nelson -
You are flat wrong. I am in those meetings and that is not the case.

J-

I would like to hear of any groups that have any LOCAL involvement in SE NM.

Turkey, Sheep, Deer, predator control (ducks dont count :)).

In recent years I cannot think of anyone besides NMWF and they are still primarily Northern NM and the Gila area.

I would love to hear about them, because I would get behind them.

I do think NMWF needs to take a stand on Wolves. I belong the NMWF in a small way. I like a lot of things they do.

Two things I dont like is their position on NPS on Valle Caldera, and not being Anti wolf. That does not mean they are not a good group for NM hunters.

I also support Ranching, Woolgrowers and Outfitters, but, that does not mean those groups haver the average hunter in mind.

We had a local SFW chapter in Alamogordo that was focused on our area, but, they folded up their tent. Fighting for hunters is not easy stuff. I bet half the time some hunters are fighting against them.

There are no perfect organizations I know of, so we need to support the ones we have and be vocal about the problems we see in our areas.

Currently I am a supporter of Ducks Unlimited and RMEF. I need to bite the bullet and send a check to the NRA soon.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Paul, why do you hate Ducks so much? :)

I get it, they don't taste like chicken..... But I love hunting them and they make great ground jerky.

Teryn, thanks for supporting DU. They have done an outstanding job in the last several decades.

>
>Paul, why do you hate Ducks
>so much? :)
>
>I get it, they don't taste
>like chicken..... But I love
>hunting them and they make
>great ground jerky.
>
>Teryn, thanks for supporting DU. They
>have done an outstanding job
>in the last several decades.
>
>
It's a running joke with some friends, and I suck at hunting anything with feathers.

So Jason your group is against wolves in NM. simple YES or a NO.
Because I sure haven't seen the ads on Tv or on the radio your group backing the NM Sportmen in a fight against wolves being put in NM and expanding their range in NM.
Oh right your group is neutral.
Riding the fence will only give you a sore ass.
Nothing personal Jason, I just don't like wolves or them getting a foothold due to groups not stepping to plate against them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-14 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]There is no easy answer... Bottom line is that they are here... and we need to be part of the process to make sure that they dont' get out of control. The wolves don't have a foothold. As I have said before... I don't like them and many board members don't but we need to be engaged... Groups can make blanket statements, "we don't like wolves" but that is just lip service... What are the doing about it. We don't' have the resources to even start that battle...

AND this is what drives me nuts about all of this... There has been NO other organization that has fought for average sportsman and we get hammered on this issue? You know our record and you know how we fight everyday for sportsman...

I will put the NMWF track record up against anyone's...

You will never find a perfect group unless you start your own BUT it is easier to sit back and complain than get involved and see what is really happening.

It may surprise most of you to learn that the New Mexico Council of Outfitters and Guides advocates for more than just the rights of the NM Outfitters. The little known fact is, our organization is out there 365/year advocating "Hunters Rights" (resident and non-resident).

We have a full time staff with lobbyists in Santa Fe and D.C. We were at the NM legislature everyday during the 2013 session and testified against all of the bills that were harmful to hunters including the coyote calling bill, the animal cruelty bill, and the no trapping bill. Our lobbyists are already in full swing monitoring legislation for the 2014 session which starts Jan. 21st.

We also firmly opposed the transfer of the VC to the NPS and have been lobbying against the bill in D.C. along with the national and local chapters of SCI and RMEF.

We are strongly against the wolf re-introduction and spoke at USFWS hearing in November regarding the potentially detrimental impacts the wolf will have on the elk and deer populations.

We too feel that there is a predator problem that needs to be addressed and are very concerned about deer numbers statewide. We will be meeting with NMDGF to discuss our concerns. Our Outfitter members are extremely knowledgeable regarding herd health and quantity as many of our members spend close to 9 months of the year in the back country.

Over the years our organization has suffered from somewhat a negative image caused mostly by our own lack of marketing ourselves to the industry. We are attempting to change this image and gladly invite everyone to learn more about our organization at our website www.nmoutfitters.com. We do have Sportsman memberships available for $25/year. With this membership you will be added to our legislative CALL TO ACTION emails as well as receive a copy of our quarterly newsletter and annual publication.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom