I need a youth shotgun

huntzall

My 12 year old daughter wants to try out hunting this year. I was thinking of getting her a 20 gauge semi auto. Im open to any suggestions

huntzall, Good for you!! You might do well to consider getting her a Remington 1100 or 11-87, both fine choices. Very dependable, practically bullet proof, light kicking, and reasonably priced. I shot thousands of rounds at game and even more at clay with these. Can't ever remember a malfunction from a 1100. They're just nice guns!

Don't get one with a fixed choke at full. I suggest you get her one with some sort of rem-choke system "or", if without that, one set at "modified" choke, a happy medium, that will still allow a good distance capability but a slightly larger pattern.

12 guage or 20, Start her out with good ear protection, some type shoulder padding, and the lightest loads you can get!! Don't take the fun out of it for her before she hardly gets started. Good luck!!

Joey

Not a huge fan of anything auto but, I bought my wife a CZ 20 in a youth model. It's a damn fine little gun, I just wish it had a longer stock :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Also not a fan of auto's myself. If you start a youngster with a pump they can shoot anything after that. Like starting a new driver on a manual transmission. Plus, you can drop it, kick it, throw it in the river and it will still cycle. I had a Remington 870 youth for my first shotty and I still have it. It's been loaned out to too many times to count to train youngsters how to shoot and she is still in great working order. You just can't go wrong with that gun. Best of luck choosing!

There is a reason the Remington 870 is the most widely sold firearm in the world(minus military weapons) I think it is some where around 100 million. +/- a few million. But whos counting!

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

Pumps kick harder..the 11-87 in youth 20 is great. If you are worried about safety, only put one shell at a time in until she is more comfortable with the action.

I would stay with your first suggestion of getting her a semi-auto. The semi auto will absorb a good percentage of the recoil and if you start her with light field, or even trap loads, the recoil will be mild enough that it should not cause her to develope a "flinch" at pulling the trigger. I also second the idea of getting a more open choke barrel, or a gun with choke tubes so she can select a more open choke for better hits under 30 yards.
A semi auto can be very dependable if kept cleaned as it should be. most of the bad rap for semi autos jamming was caused by the old paper shells when they got wet and swelled or improper reloading. The plastic cases used today have stopped alot of those problems. I also second that semi auto as being a 20 gauge. Most are built on a smaller frame and less weight for her to toke around in the field.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom