I Should Move....

Jagerdad

Very Active Member
Back in Feb 22nd, a MM'er (maveric351) asked about Idaho Fall's, Twin Fall's & Boise. I have been and stayed in each and in Blackfoot. I first did such in 1978 then on-n-off until about 2005. Each were/are wonderful. I found Arco very interesting and always asked for the worst barber in the State and got him, there in Arco to cut my hair on every trip. I had missed such a Barber Shop where laughter and Insults abound.

I should have asked the following long ago. Since I have never gone into places such as Lewiston or Cascade, may I ask what you, any/all MM'ers may say about such city's, towns, when a guy like me, age 60, may seek a place to retire to and have lands and a place where I can have a backyard shooting range and not bother ANY neighbor, due to noise and....have Medical services somewhat near by...?

I have friends in Coeur d' Alane who want me to join them and say if I visit, I will never return Home.....or they'll kidnap me. However, I don't want such winters as they have and other friends are down Hwy 95, halfway to Boise and they say it's a weather Banana belt that has nice weather in all seasons. I don't want 100% Desert nor all deep Forest's. As mentioned, I have been in most all lower and Eastern areas of Idaho but never up above Boise via Hwy 95.

SO...?...my question is more about what your thoughts are on which area to consider moving to as a retired guy. The wife will desire shopping (she can figure that out herself, Gurr...) and I may have at least one Daughter who will surely get a Horse and Animals. She is well experienced in Cattle Round-Up's and raising critters. All children Hunt but the two youngest Daughters are real deadly and fill our freezers with everything each season. I want to Hunt and shoot something but do not get much of a chance with the girls.

Hopefully the Idaho State border sign won't say: "No Vacancies - Stay out & Go Home". Such a sign should have been put up back in 1978.

Moving everything at my age is easy to ignore and procrastinate upon however, I know my Health & What Sanity is left, will be improved once in any zip code showing Idaho. I Humbly Thank all MM'ers for any opinions. Only Sageadvice knows me. I seldom Post but should do so, more often; maybe in the Campfire.

Don't live in Idaho but have driven the length and breadth numerous times. From Boise to Sand Point there is such diversity you can find nearly anything you want. Personally I like McCall, it's got open country on the south, mountains to the north. It's built on a gorgeous lake and a good sized river runs through it. It's cattle country. Boise is not a really long drive but far enough away to keep from a heavy influence. Winters are more like the majority of Idaho rather than like the warmer Boise area. Boise's lower elevation make it 5 to 10 degrees warmer on any given day.

If it were me I'd put momma in the pick up and send ten days wandering through Salmon, Hailey, McCall, Rjggins, Grangleville, Kooskia, Kamiah, Orofino and Lewiston. All are interesting and have different looks and feels. Good country will good people. A little rural minded but that make them good, in my opinion. Lots of old timers and getting to be more recent new comers. If I was not so settled in So. Central Utah, I'd be looking right there, along with you. It's not the last great place but certainly is one of them!

All the best.
DC

There are lots of places you and your wife would be happy. I would look real hard around the Lewiston area. At 900 feet elevation winters are mild. But snow is close by to go play. Fishing is out of this world. Hunting used to be the best but there is still plenty of game. I lived in the CDA area for 10 years and it is a great place to live. If gardening is part of your life the CDA area can be tough. Lots of small towns in Idaho that give great family living. Most are close enough to "shopping" to keep Momma happy. McCall and New Meadows to Cascade and that central western region has very little growing season and winters can be harsh. Eastern Idaho the wind always blows. A lot of where depends on your preference for climate. All of the other criteria that you are looking for can be found all around the state. Good luck, I too would take some time and make a trip or two, one winter one summer would be a good choice. Living in the CDA area we had lots of people move in in the summer and get froze snowed out in the winter. They always said that the real estate person said it doesn't snow here.

DZ

For a few days after Posting and no reply Post's, I was feeling my question(s) was like asking a very dumb question. Similar to asking which Rifle should I buy or Make/Model truck, etc...

Maybe the reason I asked such a dumb blunt question is to gain or build my lost Motivation. Plus, there's more and it is tied to a wealthy Canadian Developer who entered my area, wine'd & dined City council members and drafted a General Plan Map that allowed him to "Take" our Home/Lands through emanate domain condemnation. Emanate Domain Laws should never be used only as a tool to intimidate citizens wherein no true need exists for the greater public good. The Developer was highly intelligent and used all tools available to him to secure lands at the lowest costs. All of the few neighbors we had were 2nd, 3rd Generation Philippino Truck Farmers (Grew Vegetables for local Markets). They were each contacted by the Developer's Attorney's and were given a cash offer that also had a clause that they were never to disclose to a neighbor, what the offer was/is or they would face immediate seizures via Emanate Domain and lose everything with close to zero money back. I termed this: "Terror at the Kitchen table". No person or family should ever face such over whelming forces, simply so a Canadian Developer can maximize Profits. Developers (and special interest groups) have learned how far they may infiltrate Politicians to hush them and gain their backings and even have a business plan that shocks the conscious.

I am easy going but I became a real thorn. The Developer went bankrupt and moved on to other places. Yet am still zoned in a zone that someday either the city or even School District "May" use such a law to take our Home/Lands. Under this zoning I am not allowed to build a Home for my Daughter or do any improvements. Quite a Black Cloud to live under and, it's stressful.

Unless a high powered Attorney were to appear in my life, gather data's and fight for us, we must wait. I do well under pressure but one's Family Home should never ever be under such pressures. Therefore, my post may have seemed dumb as dirt with no one answering from here, Idaho or the campfire until 2lumpy and then the others. I am very grateful those of you who gave me information took the time to do so. My close friends in Coeur d' Alene speak highly of the area and want me/us there. I was seeking new information from new people such as those on MM'eys. You men have unique experiences and visions that are very helpful to a guy like me. I humbly say Thank You.

If or when a time arrives where either our current Home/Land situation is resolved or, I find funds and inner motivation to drive up to the towns you men mentioned, I shall. After 37+ years of being with my High School sweetheart (Never straying) what I decide or buy she will follow. That is....only dependant if I do not let her see, in person; Sageadvice. Don't get any funny ideas Joey.... I'd only let her go in exchange for your ADL 270.

Another friend (Rich) knew if i joined MM's my motivation for Hunting may return. he was/is Correct. I have been searching every post and guide for someone to help me Hunt Elk in the fall. I am unable to hike far or bend over to field dress game. I just needed a little help and maybe I will find it. But as soon as I can, I will leave our area as fast as possible and drive everywhere seeking my last Home. I never heard of Mcall and thanks 2lumpy and the others who gave towns.

Guess we all have a mountain of Gold in our lives and also some ugliness's. In closing I'll triple say Thank You guy's for your reply. You made me feel welcome on Monster Muley's.

Jagerdad

Well...I live here and after my youngest is on his own we are looking at Hayden, McCall or Coeur d alene. They are all awesome, both McCall and Coeur d alene have hospitals in town. Ketchum, Sun Valley, and Coeur d alene have become pricey over the last decade.

Cascade is okay, pretty, 90 or so minutes from Boise, good fishing lake, cute little main street, but a little underdeveloped if you maybe in need of a major medical center nearby.

The drive up to Cascade from Boise is equivalent to driving from Sac to Truckee, but on a 2 lane road thru the sticks.

1911 the large white boy choir club doesn't really exist in Coeur d alene anymore.

Once my youngest is out (3 years), wifey and I will move to either Hayden, McCall or Coeur d alene.

Sounds like you need to kind of switch gears a little with the hunting thing. If I can continue to do it, I have a feeling you can to. I have went a little more into the bird hunting and fishing, but I still Big Game hunt. I do really well as a spotter. Once out in the great outdoors, the purpose of life returns and it doesn't matter where you live, because you're connected.
If I had my way and had to stay in Idaho, Salmon would be it. They do have a Hospital, not much of one, and they do have a few deceit stores for shopping, but I'm sure your wife would still like to travel to Idaho Falls or Missoula every few months.
Good luck.

This time of the year a lot of guys are getting ready and scouting. I didn't see your thread.
I like Lewiston a lot. I live in the Magic Valley and it is fine but Lewiston has everything. I could see my self moving there when I retire.

I agree with Ron. I now live in Boise, but Lewiston now has everything. Mulies, whitetail, fishing, good weather. Just buy west of the mill.

Here's my take....C'dA used to be a great place, before it was over run by the Californians which in turn drove up the prices for everyone. The only folks who benefited were the realtors. Salmon is a nice little city but cold as heck in the winter. McCall is nice but I have been told that they call it the "right turn town" because all of the traffic in the summer prevents left turns. It is the weekend getaway for all of Boise. Cascade is nice as well, but they get plenty of winter, same as McCall. Lewiston has the warmest winters of anywhere in Idaho (as has been stated) and lots to offer. I don't mean to be negative. I just figured that the positive aspects of these places have already been mentioned.

I made the move from Grass Valley 13 years ago now. I have not retired, YET, but hope to in about 7 years.

I've been in all the main communities. Work a couple weeks a year in CDA. Hunted and visited Lewiston, Kooskia, McCall, Cascade(have a second home there), Fairfield, Sun Valley, Stanley, Salmon, Arco, Idaho Falls, and Pocatello all numerous times and many at least annually.

Wife and I have talked about what smaller town we might like to move to in retirement, as long as it's in Idaho. We have found over time that all that we really desire is had in or close to SW Idaho. 5-6 hours I'm in either CDA or Yellowstone. We have all the shopping, eating, and airplanes to take you somewhere you need to go. Within 1hr, 2 max, I can hunt every big game animal, upland game bird, waterfowl, and predator the state offers, plus catch 10' sturgeon, all types of trout including Bull, steelhead and salmon in Riggins, plus Bass, Perch, Crappie, Cats, etc etc etc.

Weather here is pretty similar to much of N Calif, except the inches of precip, meaning less snow. It get's a bit colder but since it's dry it aint bad and aint like most of the rest of Idaho where it's either windier, or wetter.

If you prefer a smaller town feel, check out Weiser, Emmett, Idaho City, etc, all a quick and easy drive to get to Costco, 6 movie theater's, and don't forget Cabela's and Sportsman's. Unfortunately, no In and Out Burgers through.

Grangeville hands down. Hospital. Great bird hunting. Great whitetail or muley hunting close by. Elk are on the rebound and if your wife needs shopping Lewiston is not far away. Beautiful high prarie that sees all four seasons. Oh did I mention great fishing? Check it out for sure! It's located such that you are not far from Riggins on the main Salmon River or Kooskia which is Palouse country...beautiful! And the Clearwater river runs through it with great salmon and steelhead fishing.

Grangeville is the right elevation to not get blazing hot in the summer but winters aren't bad either.

My $0.02

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom