I want to hunt Antelope.

SayUncle

He everyone I just found the site its great thanks for all the great stories, pics and info. I'm fairly new to hunting and just moved to Utah last year and decided to give big game hunting a try after a hunting birds for years and years, and I am hooked after hunting deer and Elk last year!!

Anyway next year I want to give hunting Antelope a try. I'm thinking of going to trying Wyoming can anyone help an antelope newbie out with some basic info on area and any other helpful info.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

I have hunted Elk Deer and Antelope and to tell you the truth I am addicted to pronghorn they are a very interesting animal and trying to kill a big lope is sometimes difficult there are a lot of decent bucks out there but finding the one with all the ingreidients to be proud of is rare and keeps me wanting more. There are a lot of units in Wyoming you can draw every year just do your homework before and you will be fine and from there you will figure out if you like hunting this fast and skittish creature.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm very to excited to give hunting antelope a go. From those of you that have experience, where would be the best place for a beginner to start Wyoming or Idaho?

You won't be able to hunt the good Wyoming units without preference points, unless you get real lucky and draw a random draw tag. Most of the best units are in the central and west part of the state, so if you want to just hunt, you will have to look at the eastern units. They typically have a lot of private land, so finding an antelope on pubic land is tough. They usually have left over tags in Wyoming after the draw, but those units are tough to hunt. If you look at the draw odds section on here you will get the picture.
Good luck. Antelope hunting is pretty fun, especially if you are in a good unit.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-12 AT 01:10PM (MST)[p]Buy a $30 point in the next week and then if you want to hunt next year, put in for the Special Tag in the central part of the state (find a unit you will draw with 1 point) and you should be in business.

Just as an example. If you use the odds on this site, put in one point and search and go to Unit 106. The odds of drawing in the Special draw with one point is 100%, it is 20% with zero points so most likely you will draw with one point next year. Not guaranteed, but nearly guaranteed in this scenario (depends on tag numbers, winters...).

If you don't want to pay the extra $200 for the tag ($500 or so total), your odds would only have been 7% in this unit. I am not saying 106 is the place for you, but I bet you could definitely find a good looking goat there if you hunted for a few days.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom