Ibex recovered

NMPaul

Here is the original link.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID34/3723.html

Pick up from there. After my wifes elk hunt we finally were able to coordinate the ibex recovery with the guys we tracked down in Deming. The one guy got down from the first attemt the day Zach shot it and told Miguel to erase his phone number out of his cell phone. He was not there this time.

Anyhow, we drove out to the mountain and hiked in. They went to the top of the mountain and Zach and I went to the bottom. We got some pics of the ibex in the cave.

The only stupid/dangerous thing we did was be under the cliff the guy was rappelling off of. Loose rocks came screaming down like quail on steroids. The first time we heard that whirring noise as rocks came down from a couple hundred yards we were diving for cover. That did inhibit some of the pics I was able to take.

The mountain as we hiked up to it.
2011Ibexmountainrecovery002.jpg

Best pic through the spotting scope of the billy in the cave
2011Ibexmountainrecovery001.jpg

Ropes off the edge
2011Ibexmountainrecovery004.jpg

I dont think I could have convinced myself to take that first step off the cliff. This guys name was Jimmy.
2011Ibexmountainrecovery006.jpg

dropping in
2011Ibexmountainrecovery007.jpg

This is from the cave we were hiding in as the rocks were whirring down on us. Cant imagine a 5lb rock hitting me in the head from 200 yards.
2011Ibexmountainrecovery012.jpg

trying to lower the ibex. It was hanging up so it had to be hauled up
2011Ibexmountainrecovery010.jpg

Side view of mountain. That slab of rock on the right was what they were rappelling off of
2011Ibexmountainrecovery014.jpg

back at the truck. Zach asked me every day if the guys had called to set up a time. Billy was 42". His first was a little over 50" It is amazing how 2 weeks of daydreaming had Zach and I thinking he was another monster. Even glassing him in the cave with the spotting scope we put about 10" extra on him
2011Ibexmountainrecovery018.jpg

after a little cleaned up.
2011Ibexmountainrecovery020.jpg

The drive home was pretty stinky even with all the windows open for 4 hours.

Thats an amazing story and a great recovery. Congrats to you and Zach on a fine trophy. Neither of you will ever forget that hunt. Baker

Great news that the billy was recovered. From the pics, it must have been some doing. Congrats on a beautiful billy.

Eldorado

I want to thank Miguel again for helping us get this billy down.
The day Zach shot it and we realized that there was no way for us to get him down we ran to Deming. We made lots of calls trying to find rockclimbers.
We went to the Deming Information center and the ladies there were incredibly helpful calling anyone they thought could possibly help us.
They got ahold of Miguel who does a ton of hunting. That night we ran bought $370 worth of rope (after a huge discount that Miguel got us from the Manager) and tried to get the billy out before his meat and cape spoiled.
We ran out of daylight and most likely did not have all the equipment we needed.

When we met up with them after the recovery we met Jimmy who was the guy that went over the edge and Alyxis who climbed that mountain and helped with the ropes. Yep, a girl climbed that nasty mountain. Zach and I felt a little less manly after that.

Thanks again Miguel and team.

That never give up attitude worked out well for you. Glad you guys was able to finally get him.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Awesome, way to stick with it. How does he draw 2 ibex tags in 3 years? I thought I was a lucky tag drawer.

>Awesome, way to stick with it.
> How does he draw
>2 ibex tags in 3
>years? I thought I
>was a lucky tag drawer.
>

Yea, the odds for kids to draw ibex hunts is not to bad in NM. I know of at least 2 other kids that have drawn 2x.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11 AT 08:43AM (MST)[p]Great story and congrats on the recovery. Those things have small heads for the size of the horns. I like the look of the euro mount for those.

NMPaul ... Great story with a Great ending, Glad you guys could recover your trophy from that pile of rocks!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Glad to hear ya'll made it back ok Paul. I have been waiting to see those pics since you called me..... Sorry it went down like it did but you guys will NEVER forget this one!

Sweet!!! U can have some of my sons Ibex meat, if u want!!! Its got a little kick to it!!! Haha congratulations!!!!

>Sweet!!! U can have some of
>my sons Ibex meat, if
>u want!!! Its got a
>little kick to it!!! Haha
>congratulations!!!!

LOL, my dogs were disappointed they will miss their stew this winter. Pretty hard to get excited about ibex meat when you got a freezer full of oryx and elk.

You guys are seriously messed up! That ibex meat is awesome. Send it all to me if you don't like it....lol

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom