Ibex

T

ttj

Just found out I drew an Ibex tag for the first archery season! I'm stoked and just starting the research process. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Floridas and could start/point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance! TJ

8386img_0217.jpg

Archery 2012

Start climbing stairs with a heavy pack on and your hat pulled down aroubd you ears to get it used to being there on account of the wind.

i will be on that hunt also. I could use any info that is available as well. Will be there in Sept with my cousin so will at least know the lay of the land when I go back in Jan.

We will be there for the second archery season in January. This will be our third straight season on this hunt. I would be happy to share what information I have. Two years ago I drew on a billie at 60 yards but didn't shoot, last season we got to 67 yards and my brother in law passed on the shot.

Give me a call. 505.304.2363
Cory

Hunted the first season in 2012. Did not harvest an Ibex but came real close.

Practice, practice, practice. The terrain does not allow you to get close unless they are being pushed or you are sitting. I would highly recommend a multi pin sight, I used a spot hogg seven pin and was proficient out to 90 yards. Becoming 100% comfortable with your equipment will allow you to shoot longer range.

I would book a hotel in Deming, the mountains are a 5-10 drive from town. The continental breakfast are fast and easy. 5 mins to wake and eat, then off to the mountain.

All areas of the mountain have ibex. They will move from area to area. I would try to hunt smaller herds. I've seen herds with a few ibex to a herd well over 100 ibex with 20+ billies all over the mountain.
Glass before you hike. If you are in good shape you can hike up, hunt all day and hike down, everyday of the season even in the most difficult terrain areas of the mountain.

When glassing, look for movement more than anything. A good spotting scope is a must have. I would recommend spotting from your vehicle until locating a nice billy.

I would not recommend hiking the mountain unless you're putting yourself in position to be on a stalk. Bumping into ibex is almost an impossibility in my opinion. They will know you are there before you know they are there. Their eyesight is unmatched.

Nannies are your enemy. They are the guard dogs of the household.

pm me if you would like additional advice for the hunt.

scout, watch where they travel, and sit there..... all day, maybe for a few days

find the roughest part of the mountain and wait them out. with that many hunters on the mountain they will move

I have the 2nd archery season. I hunted it a few years ago with my son when he was 11 (rifle youth hunt). He got a 46" Billy. Get a pair of hiking sticks. Good light ones. They make it much easier to get up and down the slippery slopes. They make a huge difference. You can move twice as fast and twice as safe. The Floridas are incredibly rough.

Got my ax handed to me on that hunt last year- and loved it!!

Practice! PRACTICE! SEEP angled shots!!!!

I missed a smaller 30in billy due to that. And when I say steep angle I mean he was 52 yds- but I should have treated it as 38! You don't always have time to use your rangefinder.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom