In No Man's Land

porchdog

When I was in my early 40's I thought "If I put in for unit 2 or 201 Elk I should draw when I retire". Well I am retiring next Summer and I feel like I'm in no man's land. 21 points and no closer to drawing. My question is, What sort of hunt can a guy get with 21 points? I don't mind hunting in no man's land, but I get tired of waiting in it.

Switch to a Muzzle Loader and get it done, thats what I am planning on doing, or Archery if you can get the time off to have a decent chance at a nice bull. What are your expectations, how small a bull is worth 21 points?

"WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW" "REVOLUTION
BECOMES DUTY" unknown

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

I take it your non-res? If you can afford it you can draw unit 40 1st rifle. It takes about 20 non-res points. You could do a guided hunt with Biggerstaff Outfitters. They killed two 400" bulls last year during 1st season and consistently take 350"+ bulls every year. The terrain is pretty mellow too for you old farts:) Good luck!

Here's their website if you're interested.
http://biggerstaffguides.com/index.htm

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

There are other units than 2/201. I agree they are great units but if you get to old and health becomes an issue then the wait and them points ain't worth squat. If you have time and physical ability the other 2 NW corner choices can yield just as great of a bull with maybe requiring a bit more effort. I honestly believe you are a few years out yet from drawing a tag in 2/201. Ain't no way I'd wait that long to chase a bull in 2 or 201.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Just hunt OTC for a couple years then eventually draw your tag. Switch to muzzy or archery. Look at unit 10, maybe a early guided hunt in 76. UNit 40?

I am a non-res, with high expectations, but it's like going on a blind date you expect a 10 and when it's all said and done you get a 5. I would like to top my biggest which is a 340 bull. I have been on guided hunts but I prefer do-it-yourself hunts. I don't know much about unit one other than it has quite a bit of private land and the rest is a little rough. I'm in fairly good shape for being an old fart so the rough wouldn't bother me.

Unit 61 muzzleloader is worth a look, fun hunt with lots of bulls. I hunted unit 2 this year with my dad, awsome hunt but it took him 23 years to draw his tag. With colorado only giving out 5 tags it will likely be a minimum of 10 years before you draw. It will likely be another 6 years before all the people with the same points he had draw there tags.

21 points. Arent' you knocking on the door to draw???
Granted I don't follow NR odds for CO since I'm a resident but you must be within a point.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom