interesting morning...

dslaughter

The last few weeks the bucks have been rutting good and I have really enjoyed getting out. I found this one buck last week that I could tell was a real freak but hadn't been able to close the distance on him for some good pictures. This morning I made it out before work. I was on a looping trail that had been holding a ton of deer but today all was quiet. I was about 1/2 mile back to the main trail when a very large mountain lion hit the trail about 45 yards in front of me. I was off guard and fumbling for the lense cap when he looked my way. This was THE photo op of a lifetime (maybe the very last photo op of a lifetime)...
I'd like to say that I kept my composure, removed the lens cap and took some great pics at 45 yards... I didn't. I was alone and face to face with mr. Tom so I made myself big and move quickly towards him making as much racket as I could. Thank God he ran. He stopped about 35 yards off the trail and turned around to watch me. I walked backwards most of the way to the truck. Pucker factor was VERY high...

DSC_0001.jpg

Oh yeah, on the way out I saw this guy... his main beam is broken between the second and the fourth but he was a stud a few weeks ago.

freak-side.jpg

cork-screw-dropper.jpg

cool, but the next time you encounter a cat, if there is a next time, stay in there and shoot, he wont eat you, just get the shots first and you will be glad you did.

"he wont eat you"

LOL! yeah, we will make sure to put that one your tombstone! haha.

Cool pics, awesome buck.Thanks for sharing

horsepoop.gif

T,
I had that response from several folks.
When I see a bear I know that they will usually run but I just don't get the same feeling when I look at a big mountain lion (or even a medium one).
Besides, the light was terrible in that canyon and the pics would have looked very flat... :)

okay, I'm just the opposite, I usually get an exit strategy when I see a bear (80 percent of the bears I see are grizzly) and pray everytime I'm out, that a cougar will come within shooting distance of me. If one would let me I'd walk right up the thing. . .

Very cool cork screw drop!

"There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every difficulty. Miss that, though, and you're pretty much screwed..."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom