Interesting read.....

Nice, short article and very true. I saw that when Romney made the booboo on whether he had hunted moose or elk and also the chats on the Federal land issue. I hate to say he was born and raised here in MI, but he's so out of touch with reality. It's no surprise that Peay would be in bed with him to try an up Peay's power base!

That was a good read. My favorite quote:

"The idea that wildlife belongs to all and should be managed by professionals using sound science is called the North American Model of Wildlife Management. Most all hunting and conservation groups, including conservative, venerable hunting/gun organizations such as the National Rifle Association, Boone & Crockett Club and the Pope and Young Club, embrace the model.

But not everyone. In particular, meet Don Peay and Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife (SFW). The group was founded in Utah and has spread throughout the West. One state at a time, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife is dismantling the very idea of a public wildlife resource, and replacing it with special privileges for the privileged."

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

One thing Romney got right is the government wasnt set up in the begining to own so much land especialy in Nevada were federal land excedes 60 million acres and state and private land combined dont even reach 10 million. Its funny SFW gets all the blame for selling public tags when RMEF, MDF, and the wild turkey foundation all do it.
If the DWR is doing such a good job in their management practices why have mule deer and other species declined while the DWR staff has exploded? Just sayin.
Im not sayin we need to sell tags to the highest bidder but maybe we need to seperate our wildlife from being state and federaly ran to a private owned buisness that had to produce good results or they would go under.

absolutely eldorado, you got that right. Peay has shown this is his goal for a long time now.

>.
> Im not sayin we need
>to sell tags to the
>highest bidder but maybe we
>need to seperate our wildlife
>from being state and federaly
>ran to a private owned
>buisness that had to produce
>good results or they would
>go under.
>

Ask yourself this hoghunter: Would your suggestion to privatize our wildlife follow the North American Model? In case you don't have the 7 sisters close by, I'll post them up for you:

1.Wildlife is held in the public trust;
2.Regulated commerce in wildlife;
3.Hunting & angling laws are created through the public process;
4.Hunting & angling opportunities for all;
5.Hunters & anglers fund conservation;
6.Wildlife is an international resource;
7.Science is the basis for wildlife policy.

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

7.Science is the basis for wildlife policy.

If this statement was actually true I firmly believe the SFW would be the strong force it is today.

The DWRs lack of following this model opened the door for the SFW 20 years ago!!!!!

Lets not forget the original pimps of our deer tags. One group benefited from the sales of all licenses in the state of UT for many years. The mismanagement based on buget for the DWR has hurt our deer herds before Don ever gathered the troops on the steps of the State Capitol. If the deer herds would have been managed properly (with science first and not dollars first) Don would have been up there standing alone!!

Founder,
Great post, I agree that the tags have gotten out of hand, yet I still believe they are a positive impact on our wildlife.

I sure hope stinky does not comment on my nose now!!!

I deleted my post. It was a long winded blab about conservation tags. This thread is more about landowner tags.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

stillhunterman, if the management of the wildlife was put into a private buisness's hands it would still be controlled by the public. You could still have racs and a board of represenatives to tell the company that has been intrusted with managing our wildlife what we the people want done with it. Im just saying that if they didnt get the job done at least they could be held accountable for either doing a good job or not. Currently the dwr just gets to go ahead without any accountability for not producing.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-12 AT 11:47AM (MST)[p]This is exactly why we should all belong to RMEF, NRA, and other pro hunting, pro gun organization. They have lobbiest in government to protect our right to hunt and own firearms. Another reason to let the states control hunting and wild game instead of the feds...Although I do agree a better way to manage wildlife would be to let private business run it and get the bueracrats and waste of money out of it but it's to big of a money maker to ever get the Feds and States to let go!!!!

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

If you privatize this public resource you will ruin the very foundation on which is was built. That is the worst idea I have ever heard for fixing the problem. Completely ASININE.....

And John who elkun? I know lots of johns.....

Tony Abbott
www.myfreehunts.com
The next buck to have a fawn will be the
1st.

Tony,
You and I don't agree on much but I agree that privatization would be the ultimate demise of our hunting heritage. I do believe that we need the CWMU program and the DWWR to work together to benefit wildlife but privitizing wildlife is not the way to go.

Elitehoghunter wrote:
"if the management of the wildlife was put into a private buisness's hands it would still be controlled by the public."

You've got to help me out on this one. That's the same as saying that if a landowner buys more public land to add to his total it will still be controlled by the public. That statement couldn't be further from the truth.

It's always an adventure!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom