introducing....Robo Deer!

You can gauge the I.Q. of the poacher by the number of times he shoots at the robo deer.
happy.gif

Eldorado

I'm gonna say; you can gauge the quality of a hunter by the number of steps he/she takes AWAY from the roads.

They may not always take the biggest deer, but their hunts are ALWAYS a better story!

"authorities put the mechanical deer near a road where it can be seen by passing cars. Then they hide nearby and keep watch, waiting for someone to take the bait"

-if you're nowhere near a road, the "bait" isn't even an issue.

I'd like to help buy 50 more of these things....wait, maybe not, it may force more idiots into the timber....

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

It would be comical though if they had it set-up during daylight hours and a guy ran across it and then set up on some vantage point and drilled it with a .50 BMG 1000 yds away and see the head mount go into a million metallic pieces...fish-cops would be pissed but what could they do???

I wonder why this is suddenly a story?? DWR has had robodeer for over 20 years. Used to even have a robo pheasant.

But I tell you, fellas, there is nothing funnier! I did an internship for college with them and had several occasions to help out on anti-poaching operations. One of the most hilarious was watching and archer shoot it 5 times.

You'd think after the first arrow went 'thunk' and just quivered a little, with the deer just staring at him would be a CLUE. Nope, he launched 4 more arrows.

The look on his face when a voice from the wood said, "ok, you got him.....please stop shooting now.....oh, and nice group"?

PRICELESS.

Pred

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-11 AT 06:58AM (MST)[p] Around my parts it is well known that "Scruffy" can't walk...if he takes just one step it is.... BANG! PLOP!. LOL...these decoys have been around here for a long time. Our state (Oregon) even have a small herd of elk that they set up.

Funny story... One of my hunting buddies & I drove up on one of these "robo" bucks up in the mountains in CO. We stopped for a second and looked at it. It was obvious that it was robotic. Being the redneck rebel that my buddy is, we drove on by and he stopped about a mile down the road and said, "ya know... I wonder how many times I can legally shoot that thing before they stop me". I started laughing... knowing he was serious and said, I'll bet ya a case of beer the answer is zero!

He took my bet, turned the truck around and stopped right beside it. Hopped out of the truck, took 20 long strides off the road, chambered a round and just as he started to shoulder his rifle the woods came to life with "HEY, HEY, HEY STOP!!!"

One of the game wardens we had met the day before at our camp. He remembered my buddies name and asked him what the hel he was doing. He told the guy, well, I thought I was going to fill my deer tag until you jackasses showed up!

Everyone started laughing and they told us to get out of here.

We still laugh about it & now thinking back about it I never did get my case of beer!

I highly recomend that if you do come across one of these things and have a tag in your pocket that you DO shoot the ##### out of it, just do it by the rules and never admit that you knew it was a fake!

I'll add to this post. I remember seeing a video once of some wardens hiding in the brush waiting and watching their "robo-deer". All caught on camera, and much to their chagrin, a would-be "poacher" must have figured out the thing was phony,because next footage showed the wardens running and yelling as the driver put pedal to the metal and rammed the "robodeer"! I don't remember how it played out in court, but the guy got arrested and charged with reckless driving and destruction of state property!:)

predator?
is that the one the dwr filmed where the bow hunter gets a little closer after each shot?

>I wonder why this is suddenly
>a story?? DWR has
>had robodeer for over 20
>years. Used to even
>have a robo pheasant.
>
>But I tell you, fellas, there
>is nothing funnier! I
>did an internship for college
>with them and had several
>occasions to help out on
>anti-poaching operations. One of
>the most hilarious was watching
>and archer shoot it 5
>times.
>
>You'd think after the first arrow
>went 'thunk' and just
>quivered a little, with the
>deer just staring at him
>would be a CLUE.
>Nope, he launched 4 more
>arrows.
>
>The look on his face when
>a voice from the wood
>said, "ok, you got him.....please
>stop shooting now.....oh, and nice
>group"?
>
>PRICELESS.
>
>Pred

[font color = red size = red size = 10 face ="face"]TAKE NOTE:MY SIGNATURE WON'T PLEASE EVERYBODY SO DON'T EVEN READ BELOW IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED BY EVERYDAY BS ON MM[/font]

>I'll add to this post. I
>remember seeing a video once
>of some wardens hiding in
>the brush waiting and watching
>their "robo-deer". All caught on
>camera, and much to their
>chagrin, a would-be "poacher" must
>have figured out the thing
>was phony,because next footage showed
>the wardens running and yelling
>as the driver put pedal
>to the metal and rammed
>the "robodeer"! I don't remember
>how it played out in
>court, but the guy got
>arrested and charged with reckless
>driving and destruction of state
>property!:)

Yea, that was pretty stupid. I'd like to watch that video however!

I got 5 shots at a robo duck once! Oh the SOB wouldn't stop quacking. Later I was told Robo Ducks don't quack. Sounded like a quack to me.

Rutnbuck

sounds like they work! put them out near the vernon unit and catch those morons out there

My grandpa blew a turkey to pieces before they could stop him. The thing is, he did it legally and they couldn't do anything about it.

Here's a video clip that shows the archer taking multiple shots at it. It's a couple of minutes into the story.

That's funny!! The guy must have thought he was really good at stalking in close after dark to get that close... But then he kept getting closer & closer with each shot. It looked like he quit when he ran out of arrows??!!

DOH! What do you mean it's a "robo deer"?!?!

A long time ago - mid 70s - a friend and I (he was a reserve Sheriff) were buddies with the local warden; he was a decent guy.

Anyway, we came around a corner and saw that they had a fake deer set up to catch night time hunters. It wasn't a robo deer, just a dummy. The GW was hidden in a spot where he could, if he heard shots, drive right up to the most likely spot the shooter would be.

Sumpin' happend, and the deer ended up on the GW's front porch.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

>A long time ago - mid
>70s - a friend and
>I (he was a reserve
>Sheriff) were buddies with the
>local warden; he was a
>decent guy.
>
>Anyway, we came around a corner
>and saw that they had
>a fake deer set up
>to catch night time hunters.
> It wasn't a robo
>deer, just a dummy.
>The GW was hidden in
>a spot where he could,
>if he heard shots, drive
>right up to the most
>likely spot the shooter would
>be.
>
>Sumpin' happend, and the deer ended
>up on the GW's front
>porch.
>
>
>
>
>Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is
>right and tyranny is wrong,
>why should those who believe
>in freedom treat it as
>if it were a roll
>of bologna to be bartered
>a slice at a time?
>

That's funny! I bet you were still laughing about it while you were typing this!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom