is 10x enough?

shepherd

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-11 AT 11:00PM (MST)[p]I'm getting ready to get a new rig. I think I'm going to get me a sendero in 300rum. I'd like to top it off with leupold vx3 with the cds. I'd like to start doing a little long range stuff, maybe not 1000yds, but I'd like to be comfortable shooting an animal at like 5-600yds. The furthest I've ever shot an animal was around 420yds, using a 4.5-14x50, and just figuring in my head the hold-over. If I remember, its been a few years, it seemed that the buck looked rather small in my fov, even at 14x.
My question is do you think the 3.5-10 has enough magnification for long range?
I'd like to go with the 4.5-14 , but they don't offer it with the 50mm, just the 3.5-10. I have used 50mm pretty much exclusively over the last several years, and really like the low light performance of them.
Another option, though more $$, is the 6-20x or whatever it is. I would be a little concerned about that scope in normal hunting conditions, being its lowest mag. is 6x.
Just looking for some of your thoughts. Thanks.

I have a 6.5-20x50 Vortex Viper that I replaced my VX3 4.5-14x50 with and I sure like that extra magnification when I shoot out in the 600+ range. Like you said the target looks small on 14 when you start to shoot at farther distance. All in all I am happy I went with the greater power.

My only concern I guess, would be that the lowest magnification would be the 6.5x. Sometimes shots present themselves at close distances, I just wouldn't want to pull up and see eyelashes.
I guess you can't have it all.

FWIW Every year I am told a story about how someone misses an opportunity to shoot a Bull because they had their scope cranked up and couldn't find them when they stepped out close up.

(yet range finders come in 6x and you use them on everything, right?)

The only Elk I have ever shot with a rifle, was at 230 yds. I never turned the scope up- yes on 3x power it did seem small but the X and Y axis are still true.

I like Lupy too but have you looked at Zeiss for a higher magnification with larger objective?

Im in the same boat I just bought a Sendero in a 25-06 and am looking at scopes. I have never shot anything higher than a 3-9x 40 or 50 and and looking at The Leupold VariX 3 4.5-14x50. Not sure yet what I want but need to get it pretty soon. My brother bought a Vortex Viper in the 6.5-20 X50. I am not sure about Vortex yet. I have heard good things about them but it is hard to get away from a brand you know.

I bought a new Sendero in the 25-06 it is badass. I am looking for a scope for it. I am thinking Leupold Vari-x 3. 4.5-14x50 my brother has a Vortex 6.5-20x50 for his 300 win. I just am a big Leupold fan and am scared to switch. Not sure yet though. I do not think I am in big need of anything past 14 power. I have been spanking deer and Elk with the 3-9 but my eyes are not what they use to be and that Extra power is nice. I really do not expect to shoot much over 400 yds. The Sendero in a 300 Win is a sweet gun as well but I already have 2 300's. It might be nice to have that Extra power on a 300 Win. That Vortex might be the way to go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom