Is unit 124 worth my max elk points?

Jeffpg

I'm going into the draw with max points for elk and it looks like unit 124 fits my work schedule better than the other better units. I know nothing much about the unit other than it's location and terrain, but I hear that it's a quality trophy elk unit.

I am interested in making the most of my points to hunt the best trophy elk I can find, and I can likely make any unit work for me schedule wise, but I believe 124 will give me more hunting time. I can go solo or outfitted. I am totally open to hunting weapons and methods.

Anyone here able to enlighten me on this?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

I'm sure others can provide more info than what I can, but I had a buddy that hunted the unit in 2013. He scouted for two days and hunted for two days. He saw a couple of cows and one bull, which he killed. It ended up scoring somewhere around 335-340 if I remember right. Even though he was really happy with the bull he shot, he was also frustrated with so few elk he saw.

When I asked him about spending my max elk points in WY he said to do my research on some of the other better units in the state and see what they look like. In the end I'd like a solid archery elk hunt where 320-330" bulls are a plenty. I may look at unit 100 this year or the Yellowstone units.

That depends on how much time you have available to hunt and how big a bull you want to harevst. As the other poster alluded to, the herd is spread thin and not that numerous and reacts differently during the different seasons. If you are a NR that can make multiple scouting trips in the late summer to learn the area then come back and hunt archery(best time for big bulls) then have the flexibility to come back up for two more times during rifle then you should do great. 124 gives so few tags out to nonresidents that you'll be hard pressed to find an outfitter with current experience on the unit. 124 is not for the NR hunter that is only coming out for a single 5-10 day trip. Many that do this go home empty or with raghorns or very small sixes. The other downside is you'll need about 15+ years to draw if you already have max points.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would even look at a unit that only has 3 tags available in the regular draw with only a 2.75% chance of drawing when there are so many other great units throughout the state.

>For the life of me, I
>can't understand why anyone would
>even look at a unit
>that only has 3 tags
>available in the regular draw
>with only a 2.75% chance
>of drawing when there are
>so many other great units
>throughout the state.

+1

+3

30Hart is spot-on....except it will take you 30+ years to draw, with certainty, a regular tag in that unit and over a dozen for special.

It makes a guy wonder if it will even be the same unit in 15+ years. Lots of things will change in a decade! On that you can bank!

Zeke

Could it be this unit has so few elk permits offered, in an area with light winter and good feed, that it could hold potentially a bull or two in the XXL range?

>Could it be this unit has
>so few elk permits offered,
>in an area with light
>winter and good feed, that
>it could hold potentially a
>bull or two in the
>XXL range?

So what if it might if you can never draw a tag to be able to hunt it?

All I know is that the times I've hunted deer there, I was really wishing I had an elk tag in my pocket.

Its worth max points IMO/E.

>>Could it be this unit has
>>so few elk permits offered,
>>in an area with light
>>winter and good feed, that
>>it could hold potentially a
>>bull or two in the
>>XXL range?
>
>
>So what if it might if
>you can never draw a
>tag to be able to
>hunt it?

I'd just continue to hunt huge bulls every year, elsewhere.

SPAZ,

Your assumption is correct. It does hold a bull or two in the XXL range. Typically those that do very well in this Unit spend the summer finding out where those bulls are and have them figured out long before the season starts. If a guy has the time to do that then he could do well.

Since it was asked...unit 124 is in Sweetwater County. Sweetwater only has 2 Boone and Crockett record book entries for elk, both typical...since the dawn of time!

Theres many elk that wont book, that I would be happy to have...

I reckon even a few that live in 124.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-15 AT 03:57PM (MST)[p]True Buzz I agree, but the asker of that particular question asked if there were many XXL elk there...for comparison Park County Wyoming has 38 during the same time frame. I would consider an XXL elk a book elk, but that's me. Just trying to give some perspective...

Considering Sweetwater contains areas 30, 31, 32, 100, 118, 124 all good limited entry units...this is kind of surprising, but yes I would imagine Park gives out more tags...good food for thought SPAZ!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-15 AT 11:49PM (MST)[p]I'm also looking at 124 and in the max pool of NR guys, Was up in 30,31,32 last year scouting ( live in NM) Mid -Aug and saw a couple nice Bulls in the 320 range. Had a blast and beautiful county, even ran into a Wyo G/ F warden that totally exceeded my expectations of helpful and friendly . I'm a DIY guy and enjoy studying 7.5 topos in order to find my spots. Unit 124 is huge, any input on basic area in that unit to start lookin? My first instinct would be south edge bordering Colo unit 2 or west edge bordering 32. Just asking but would appreciate any guidance , then again I know where I hunt in the Gila would not be the point most locals would point someone too...lol . Thx Jim. I already have topos of 32....maybe I should just stick with that as draw odd are similar

Looks like mixed reviews on 124. One thing for certain is it wouldn't take many applicants and draw odds would be even worse than they already are!

>I bet there are a lot
>more "Book" elk taken that
>are not entered than those
>that are.

I would defintely agree with that statement...that's why I look at the ratio of enrties between units to help determine trophy potential.

I hunted it in 2012. Hunted for about 15 days. Saw some average bulls but nothing worth shooting. There are a lot of other areas in the State that are much better if you have max points.

Hunted it a few years ago for deer, and wish I had elk tag. Have max points for elk prob. doesn't help alot to get a tag maybe another 10 years. Good luck in the draws

For those who have area knowledge of 124 , which section should I purchase maps for to begin by learning curve? I'll help with NM info if you need any input. Thx Jim

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom