ISO Consultant for North Slope/Elk Archery

Awjames81

Group of 4 of us have plans to go to the north slope area to hunt elk during the general archery season. We're all experienced whitetail hunters from the east, and yes! our experience is Nil.
There are no illusions of grandeur among us, we are looking for the challenge and very keen on the DIY part of the trip.

All that being said, we've decided to try and hire a consultant for our first trip out. No guide, just someone who can give us realistic direction that has proven experience in this neck of the woods. We have learned a great deal from the forums, but it seems everyone loves to contradict the other on the realities of it all. We need one person herding us in the direction of the elk, telling us what to look for, where to make base camp, and a good place to start glassing.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks....

You want a consultant. Here ya go. Easy to figure out. Go to an area like Christmas Meadows, East fork of the Bear, or the West Fork of Blacks Fork. Easy to find. Every basin will have elk during the archery. To hunt this area you should have horses and get in there far. They people that are successful with archery in this area pack in 5 to 10 miles, have a wall tent, and stay for a week. It is not great hunting. It is decent. You can find the same situation on the South Slope. Success is only 20% at best. Most hunters stay on the road or close to it and complain that they didnt see elk. Hunting in this country is tough on a good day and darn hard on a normal day....but that's what makes it fun! That, and the country is amazing...some of the best on earth...and there is a chance at a 350 bull :)

But, most people walk out of this unit convinced there are no elk.

Get in deep and have some fun!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I appreciate the info, and will gladly take it. We are cutting our teeth on this trip and expect there will be things to learn for future trips. I know that there are areas where ATV's are allowed, is this an area? Our plan is to base camp and bivouac in deep.

We do not have horses and have not planned on getting them. Maybe we are naive thinking that four of us could pack an elk out.

I personally am not trophy hunting (killing a trophy would be great), but if i bring a cow home, i'm calling the trip successful. Like i said before, the adventure is the trip for me. I strike out occasionally on a whitetail hunt and feel down about it. Part of the appeal of elk hunting is if even i strike out, i know that i will be going home with my head up because of the adventure i just shared with good friends.

I have to say that i am very glad a hunter like you reached out, very positive attitude and very helpful. And i'll take any advice from a man who heeds the words of Plato......

Much Obliged,

Andy James & Company

First and foremost everyone in camp has a GPS and knows how to use it well.Then if you live below 3000 ft make sure you come a few days early and get used to the altitude.Im on the search and rescue on the south slope and we have to go in and rescue someone every year for altitude sickness. They come from sea level and try to get to Kings peak at 14,000 ft in 3 or 4 days.And altitude sickness doesn't care how good of shape you're in.

Totally appreciate the heads up. You?re too right when it comes to altitude. Me and my daughter ski twice a year in vail and Breckinridge. We'll stay low until we get adjusted. Thanks again

If you like to fish take a fly pole, there are little streams all over the north slop.There not very big but fun to catch and good eating.This will help you pass the time while you get used to the altitude for a couple of days and see some awesome country.

The advice about knowing where you are is critical. Someone dies almost every year getting lost in the Uintas.

It is critical!

I have been lost, in the Uintas, on the North Slope! Found my way out by following a stream down...all water leads to people....walked 11 miles through nasty country with no trail before I found help.....BE CAREFUL!

You will find elk. Your ATV will likely be useless but people get lucky every year. You just need to get in and stay in and put in the effort. No substitute for early morning hunts....get up WAY EARLY and be where you need to for opening light. So many guys drive the roads and hunt late morning.

Be prepared for anything. Two ladies died in the late 90's because they went hiking around Mirror lake area on a nice day....snowed....they died...found their skeletons a few years later huddled under a tree.....they had been warned by a Ranger that day to be careful and bundle up.

The elk in the Uintas are real. My friend shot a 330 bull their in 2018. Another friend missed three bulls that size on three separate days for one reason or another. You will find them if you stay and push. They love the timber! You may have to hunt steep slopes with timber to find them and your shots will only be 50 feet at times....but that is where they are and it only makes sense to hunt them where they are.

You dont need horses....but hiking back in 7 miles for the day is tough. If you go for 3 days or so with a pack then you will need to do a gutless method for skinning and cutting the meat and put the meat in a pack without the bones. Bone out the animal and you stand a chance at getting it out on your back.

All that said....if you do it right this is AMAZING COUNTRY! Take a fly rod and drop a RENEGADE size 16 on the creek or a ROYAL COACHMAN size 16....and you will catch 10 inch flame orange colored Brookies all day as you walk through meadows of grass 3 feet tall turned golden by the frost and are surrounded by pink rock peaks towering to 13000 feet or more. Yeah, its amazing, then you have elk breaking the silence in the meadow with a bugle and the dark timber just at your back beckons you to go in and find him :)

Yeah....nothing better...have fun!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom