jackrabbits.......

beavis14

hi all . my brother married into a insta family. now im a insta uncle with a 9 year old nephew. i have taken him out shooting he is finally safe enough to take out. i know whistlepigs will be out soon but i would love to take him after rabbits. i went out to murphy and saw 0. anybody have any ideas ?

Ive done good out by Mountain Home anywhere there was thick sage brush we just walked through it and the rabbits would run. Not a real easy target for a starter though.... Them things are fast as hell. Tried it with a 10/22 got 0 went back with shotgun got a lot.

much thanks bone collecter! and i hear you on the speed. i used to hunt them with a .222 or .357 back in the day when i could see good and had fast reflexes. maybe i will bring a .410 h&r with 4 shot for him.

We went to mud lake as a kid years ago and shots bricks of 22s. Never got so tired of reloading a gun. I'll bet the rabbits are back there again. I think the mainge comes along and wipes them out. Then they come back like rabbits. Lol

ohh wow thanks ron. i had " assumed " since it was a non-game animal it would be o.k. i had better wait . mucho paranoid of getting caught.....

the wife and i used to go out south of Boise. its a very popular place to shoot. i believe its called pleasant valley road but correct me if im wrong. you access it by gowen road just west of the guard shack. then drive south till you hit dirt road. used to be a ton of them and whistle pigs. used to take the .223 with ten power scope and find a rock to sit on and act like a sniper. other times wed run the dog between us to spook them up. lots of fun and close to town. mountain homes always good to. now would be a good time for hunters ed then once he turns of age lett em loose :)

what is your guys opinion on the hunting age? 10 seems a little archaic in my opinion as 5 year olds kill deer in texas ect. i think non-game species should be up to the parent- adult to decide. i think by ten or twelve its going to be hard to pull them away from the playstation. my 2 cents

>what is your guys opinion on
>the hunting age? 10 seems
>a little archaic in my
>opinion as 5 year olds
>kill deer in texas ect.
>i think non-game species should
>be up to the parent-
>adult to decide. i think
>by ten or twelve its
>going to be hard to
>pull them away from the
>playstation. my 2 cents

14 yr old girls sail around the world but that doesn't make it a good idea. I'd really rather not walk around the bend and see some 8 yr old pointing a .243 at me. Leave the rules alone IMHO.

that's when it really comes into the responsibility of the parent. i seriously doubt many 10 year olds are gunma be by them selves in the middle of know where and finding there own legal animal and setting up for the shot. once again my opinion is the parent is responsible for all that. i was thinking for some reason that it was 12 in idaho but its been a while. my first hunt was 10 in arizona archery hunt for big mulieS. i went home empty handed but still hooked for life! maby an archery only limitation would be a conclusion? as i do agree with irresponsible parents and .243s. on the flip side not many 8or10 year olds can pull a 40lb minimum and be accurate enough for a good kill. the increase of let off should help though. once again my opinion. any opinions on this?

good stuff guys ! i agree little kids shouldn't hunt unsupervised. however.....i would rather hunt with a disiplened kid with good muzzle control than some older wahoo's. case in point. i was hunting the south fork of the clearwater, stopped in a campground and used the outhouse. i heared a BOOM. i thought some lucky dude got a deer in the campground or something. not.....he shot the backglass out of his yukon with his 7 mag. this guy was in his late forties i would guess. he said i checked the safety seven times. i said " you might check the chamber instead of the safety " i usually keep to my self and don't say anything. but it gets better his buddy pulled out his marlin lever and the chamber was loaded with the hammer back ! he said he wanted to be ready for " drive by opertunities ". i got the heck out of the campground pronto ! age doesn't always = safe. my 2 cents

I've put 3 boys through the process, youngest is now 12. They need to be 12 to big game hunt, and 10 for a license, though I think you can go through hunter safety prior to 10, but have to wait for the lic. I cringe when I see the 5-8 year old with a 270 or 7mm and "his" 12 pointer. I know many mature before mine, usually 15 before they break 100lbs, but many kids have a physically difficult time handling a firearm prior to a certain amount of maturity and as a society I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave that decision up to the parent. I'm sure that about 70% of the parents will make good decision but it's the other 30% that will get someone killed, likely the kid. What I don't like is when a kid turn's 12 in November and just misses.

very very true. when is the final meetings for the regs this year? still a month or two away isn't it? Maby a proposition to allow kids to hunt in the CALENDAR year they turn 12. similar to an 18 year old can still hunt with a youth tag and youth hunts and youth rules as long as they buy there license and tag before they turn of age. i find it would be a similar situation just the purchase times would need to be modified to fit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom