Javelina Hunt

troutbum

Well its that time of year, and there is a few of us from the office heading down to chase some pigs and quail. I was just wondering how the numbers for both are looking down in the Lordsburg area.I was able to get a javelina with my bow last year but it was a little tough and took alot of looking around, and I wasn't able to hunt quail since it took me some time to get a pig.Good luck to everyone that has a tag for them, they are a blast to hunt.

Hunted NE of Lordsburg past weekend, found one solitary old boar aimlessly wandering the wastelands, he'll be the main ingredient in what may be a foul tasting stew that i intend to serve to my inlaws during the game this weekend. Saw no other javas but there was enough sign in the area to indicate the presence of others, the boar i shot was probably trying to find his posse, so there's difinately a few around. Did not see a single quail, talked to a couple ranchers who said they are extremely few and far between this year, most of the guys I know decided not to hassle them until they can get themselves back up. If you're wanting a mixed bag we were seeing coyotes out in the flats all day long...my mother in law thinks they taste like Javelina...

Spent the better part of 4 days chasing them last weekend around Hillsboro and Hatch. Didnt find a single pig. Found some sign here and there but nothing to suggest that the pigs were doing well. Talked to a biologist at the Ladder Ranch about it and his thoughts were that the deep freeze last winter killed so much prickly pear that the javelinas moved elsewhere. Water was not an issue where we were hunting, so thats the best theory I've heard. It's always better down around Lordsburg though, so good luck!

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

I went out today and hunted the Grandmother Mountains and Carrazallilo Hills WAY down by the Mexican border, west of Columbus. Saw 5 pigs about a mile from the border, but when i went to aim, the sun was directly in my scope and wasnt able to get a shot.

Thanks for all the info guys. We hunted that deep freeze last year and froze for a few days. Hopefully we will get into the pigs in the next few days. If not I have the yote calls.

hey man, your MNL is giving dogs a bad rap for saying they taste like pigs... Hope no yotes were listening when she said that.. I had a chance to arrow a couple pigs this Jan and I somehow managed to "allow" my hunt'n partner(s) to move in for the shots.... A little secret- make it seem like ur wanting them to "fill thier tag" cause they're awesome buds...then watch them gut em afterwards... High five BEFORE the cleaning takes place... Managed to not get one bit of pig stuff on my hands this year! lol. They're really fun with a bow tho! I sometimes wonder why there is a gun season on em... no offense to gun folk ( i use one here and there..). I've actually gone to traditional to add some spice to javi hunting. Who knows, maybe spear hunting is next? lol.

Good luck with the javelinas, I have seen a few southwest of deming. If you do happen to stumble across some quail, do yourself a favor an leave them alone and go buy a lottery ticket, because it's your lucky day.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom