Javelina hunt

stevie

My son drew a youth javelina tag which is a statewide hunt for two months. We've never hunted them before. I think I know what part of the state we're going to hunt, but I'm looking for information on what to look for in the field and where to concentrate.

Arroyos? water holes? hillsides? flats? Any advice would be appreciated.

My son drew a youth javelina tag which is a statewide hunt for two months. We've never hunted them before. I think I know what part of the state we're going to hunt, but I'm looking for information on what to look for in the field and where to concentrate.

Arroyos? water holes? hillsides? flats? Any advice would be appreciated.
Find water. And if they’re around, you’ll know.

I've only hunted them once and it was in the draw units but I've seen quite a few just driving around the greater Gila area. They might be hard to find when you actually want to find them. Where I've seen them they tend to stick close to arroyos or brushy canyons and corridors like that that offer a path to water, as the above guy said.

I got one last year beside a little draw at the base of a hill. I had passed right by that spot earlier in the day and saw nothing. On the way back I glassed a few of them at the edge, far enough away that I could hardly tell what they were, and then they then disappeared back down. Anyway, from that point it was fairly straightforward. I think finding them is the hard part. It took me nine days last year.

Good luck, that seems like an easier said than done operation.

I've hunted them many times in south Texas but that's corning sendero's where you may have 100 or more on the road. I've had to kick them off the road to walk back to the truck once or twice. Not a fun thing to do in the dark.

I did see 6 of them watering at a cow trough in 36 this year, just a few miles north of the res. I was a bit surprised to see them that far north.

I love hunting these little stink pigs! They are fun, and would agree that the hardest part of the hunt is just finding them! I have killed many over the years, and my family looks forward to it as they taste amazing. That being said, a few pointers I have found over the years. Every Javelina I have killed has been killed past 9:00 AM. They don't like the cold, and i usually catch them feeding in the sun on lower parts of side hills around 8-10 AM, and sometimes even later than that. I wouldn't stress being in a glassing spot before sun up, but would be glassing no later than 8 AM. When looking or scouting for an area to hunt pay attention to cactus, shrubs, and rocks that have been dug up at the root. The more of these you see the more likely you are to turn them up. I haven't had too much luck seeing them over water, but have heard of plenty killed on water as well. They can't see to well, so as long as wind is in your favor, getting into bow distance isn't hard at all. Move slow because if they do see you, just like anything else, good luck, as they seem to disappear in the desert better than rabbits. Fun to hunt and I look forward to taking my daughter out this year for her first chance at one. Hope this helps.

Glad you didn't get stuck again! :) :)

Nice Euro! Hope you can fix the jawbone. No experience there, but I"ve learned if my DIY Euros simmer/boil too long, they get brittle. I've switched to the pressure washer/short boil method.

I agree that the pressure each or boiling is better... and beetles would be best if that's an option.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom