kenetrek

A

AZBowtech

Looking for some new hunting boots. I have heard lots of good things about Lowa and Kenetrek boots. Looking for anyone that has used either of these boots. What did they like or dislike about them. How was the sizeing. I have used Danners for the past 10 years but they just don't seem to last like they use to.

Got the Kenetrek Hardscrabble boots last year. These are the uninsulated model. My impression is they are a quality, well-made boot. They offer a lot of support and have a stiff sole. I replaced the footbed with something that had more arch support. I bought them in my normal size 11M, and at first they seemed quite narrow in the front, and I thought I might have to return them, but after breaking them in they now fit OK and are comfortable.

I have always had Danner's in the past and just got me some Kenetrek mountain boots and they are a world of difference. More comfortable, more support, and look much more durable. I'm just in the breaking in stage right now for my 09 dall sheep hunt but so far I LOVE THEM!!

I just bought some Lowa Hunters they seem to be some nice boots. the soles are stiff at first it was awkward to walk in them felt like you would be just slamming your feet down, much like someone stomping around. after a hour or so much like any other boot.

if you have a high arch and instep get the wide boots EE. at first i had the regular width D's and the boot would squeeze my feet. after getting the EE wides so much better and out of the box comfort no breaking in required.

I own the Lowa Tibet GTX. It is by far and away THE BEST BOOT I have ever owned. Absolutely terrific build, comfort, etc. I think they are one of the best investments I have made in years.

When my Danner Santiams wear out, I will replace them with the Lowa Sheep Hunters and I will be covered for both regular and late season boots. The fit of the Lowas are far superior to the danners on my feet. I used to wear a particular model of Vasque boot that has since been discontinued. It was a terrific boot too. I was really frustrated when I was trying to replace them, as I couldn't find a good replacement. The Lowa is much nicer.

Good luck!

Firehawk

Thanks for the information. I am leaning towards the kenetreks. They look like good boots. They seem easier to get, the lowas seem hard to find in stock. Just wish i could foin a plaze in AZ that carried either of these boots so I could try them on.

I like the Zamerlan civetas, bought my first pair last year. I have worn them over 200 days in the field. I have worn them in every condition the west has to throw at them and in very rugged terrain. Great traction, gortex lining, great boot.

I bought my Kenetrek Mountain boots two years ago. I absolutely love them. I got mine 1/2 size larger, just so I had a little extra room for 2 pr socks. Beat all the Danners I've had in the past hands down.

I have been looking at new boots since fall. I just bought a pair of Asolo Sassalongs through Sierra Trading Post. They look a lot like a Lowa Tibet and the Kenetreks. They are a 230.00 boor and I got them for a 133.00 bucks. So far they are extremley comfortable and tough. I'm going out tomarrow shed hunting in steep rocky country. That will be the test.

Last year i ordered the kenetrek and a pair of lowas. I thought both were very similar in build. The Kenetreks didn't fit me though. They were too big at the top of the calf. I called them on this issue and they said that their new boot for 09 wouldn't have this problem. They were going to tighten it up as they had a lot of people with this issue. I went with the Lowa and couldnt be happier. Excellent support, build and didn't require any break in.

I have done reviews on the Meindls, Lowas, Kenetreks and Hanwags on my site as well as written extensively about finding the right boots. I own and use all of them and while they are all in the same class each has individual, distinguishing characteristics that makes them the right boot for different people.

I also have done a lot of work with Danners including the Santiam which I like very much but it is designed for a different purpose than those listed above.

All of these boots are first rate. Great quality, premium materials, modern features and advanced design. You would do very well with any of them. Also, you will get good customer service from Cabelas, Kenetrek, Lathrop & Sons and Lowa. I have my favorites but you will have to try them all in order to determine what works best for you. Period.

You are in the right ballpark, and the right section of that ballpark, now you need find your own best seat.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Looks like i have decided on the kenetrek hardscrabble model. Thanks for the opinions. Whhats the best place to order them from, Kenetrek direct, is their a better online store. Thanks again.

I would go straight to the horses mouth and call Jim at Kenetrek and ask them if they have any deals. Very good customer service. Wear them around the house for a day so that way if you need a different size you can return them and Jim can resell them as new.

Good luck.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I purchased a pair of kenetreks today. If anyone is looking for a pair you might want to check their website. They have some boots on sale for 120.00 and 125.00, ans a few of their pack boots.

Thanks AZ.

I have a pair of the of insulated MT Extremes (older model) and am on my second pair of SheepHunters. I like the SheepHunters better, but w/ the $125 on the uninsulated Extremes, I had to pull the trigger. Bear season is right around the corner, so these will get put to use rightaway.

I ordered the Kenetrek boots at the RMEF show 2 years ago, had them fitted and they taught me the proper way to cinch up the laces. They shipped them to me and after getting the used to the stiff sole they feel great! Very comfortable and great support especially going accross or down a rock slide.

I have been hiking the past few weeks with Lowa Tibets and just got a pair of Kenetrek Mtn Light Hikers. Although both of these boots are about the most comfy boots I have ever worn I can't see myself hiking many miles in the Tibets. My Tibets in size 11 1/2 tipped the scales at 4.6 lbs. The Kenetrek Light Hikers have both synthetic plus leather uppers and are substantially lighter (3.4 lbs). The Light Hikers feel as light as a feather compared to the Tibets! I'm not exactly sure how you sheep guys wearing full length sheep boots can do it? I would think 5 lb boots would wear a guy out but I guess there is a trade-off for support and durability hiking in rocks?

I have never been a fan of heavy boots and may not be using the Tibets except in snow, hauling super heavy loads, or in cliffy country. I have a feeling the Light Hikers will flip the bill for covering lots of country...the way I like to hunt!

It is not fair to compare the Lowa Tibets to the Kentrek Mountain Light Hikers. They are very different boots. The Tibet is a mountaineering boot made for long trips with heavy loads in steep, rocky, snow and ice conditions.

If you like those particular Kenes you better get another pair of them. I don't think they are going to continue carrying them.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Just keeping checking the Kenetrek website. I had heard that they put boots up for sale that were returned and are in like new condition. I kept checking and got lucky one day found a pair. The boots were shipped to AZ in just a couple days, they looked to be new and just worn around the house. These boots are great, can not even compare to the old Danners they replaced.

I don't know for sure. I suppose I could call Jim and ask him but I would assume that it was either because there was a problem with them or they did not sell well enough. Maybe they are bringing in another model to take its place.

But like my Dad always said, if you like something, buy two of them because sure as shootin' it won't be available when you want it.

That boot looks a lot like the Vasque Wasatch GTX and the Zamberlan Woodland GT though.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 10:41PM (MST)[p]First off I have 3 pair of Kenetrek boots and the Hard scrabble is my favorite boot hands down for any rough country hunting or backpacking. It is not a sneaking boot it is a little stiff for that so for deer hunting I wear Lowa's they have a softer sole and more flex. I always add supper feet to all my boots.

Bigpig you have to watch their sale room they post some that have been bought and returned and some that have cosmetic flaws I have a pair of Mountain boots boots and if you can show me the flaw I would give you 5 dollars. They don't last long on the sale page.
They do have gaitors going for 20 dollars and they are excellent gaitors as well.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Here we go with the same old non-model specific comments about boot lines. You can't just say that "lowas" have a softer sole and more flex because generally across the board that is not correct. Which Lowa boot and compared to what?

If you are talking about the Lowa Tibet and the Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker, I own and have tested both extensively. They are very similar in both "flex" and rubber composition of the outsole. In fact, the Hardscrabble rubber is probably a touch softer. Neither boot could be described as soft or flexible.

As for the Superfeet, I like them too but they don't work for everybody. Some boot/feet combinations cannot handle the loss of volume which leads to fit problems. The solution is to either bump up to the next size or stay with the stockers.

Of all the boots I have tested, the best insole is the Hanwag but they are semi-custom and you pay extra for them. They stay put inside the boot and they do not take up much volume.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I tested my Kenetrek Mtn Hikers out last night and was quite disappointed when the balls of my feet were on fire. I have gotten stone bruises over the years and the palm of my feet seem pretty sensative. When I got home I replaced the Kenetrek insoles with Tibet insoles and everything was fine. The Kenetrek insoles appear to be very well made but unfortunately their front 1/2 seem to be as hard as a rock. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they may "soften" w/time? I guess I may be searching around for another insert!

I use for deer hunting when trying to sneak the Lowa Renagade. They are not in the same class as a heavy hiking boot you and I have had this discussion before and you agreed. As to the super feet that is up to every one but if you have not tried them they are good deal for me. The example is what works for me.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

I have super feet in all my boots but then again they work for me.grin!

bhunter
Yes, the Lowa Renegade has a very supple, soft, quiet outsole and in a totally different class than the Tibet or Hardscrabble Hiker.

Maybe I mentioned this in our previous conversation, I don't remember, but I use Superfeet (green) in my Renegades and it makes a big difference in support and protection. It is a very nice combination.

Jims
I recommend two after market insoles and they are both made by Superfeet. The green models and the orange models. The only difference is that the orange has more padding in the forefoot area. Hopefully, the Superfeet won't suck up too much volume. If it does, try thinner socks or bump up a size boot.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Wade, Thanks for the comments about the Superfeet. I really didn't know the difference between the models. I totally screwed up my forefeet the past couple seasons hiking too many miles with wore out boots on super sharp rock...and now I am paying for it!

I hiked this evening in my Tibets and holy smokes they felt better. I just wish the Tibets were about 1 lb each lighter but I guess you can't ask for everything! I will definitely try out some Superfeet!

jims,

If you like the Tibets but want something a little more flexible, I would suggest the Hanwag Mountain Lights. They are not cheap but they are an outstanding all around rough country boot.

Want something more flexible and lighter than the Tibets but still pretty beefy, try the Lowa Ranger GTX.

In terms of weight, flexibility and heavy duty build, it goes in the order. Ranger, Mountain Light and then the Tibet.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I want soft quiet soles for stalking but good support for my lousy ankles. does that combo exist? I know, I'm wanting to have my cake and eat it too.

bigpig

Three boots come to mind. As mentioned the Lowa Renegade but they are only going to give you moderate ankle support. The Rocky SV2 and Lowa Uplander are going to give very good ankle support, are light, soft and quiet.

Good tactical/SWAT type boots will have everything that you are looking for but they are not going to last a long time. That is the trade off. Converse, Oakley, Bates are others to look at.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Thanks, I'll look into those models. I was also thinking of just some sneakers and a canvas lace up ankle brace for support.

I just recieved my 11 1/2 wide Hardscrabbles and they are awesome. Threw in a pair of Cabelas Perfekt insoles and I think I have a great combo for my feet. Haven't been on a hike with them yet but they seem to fit great so far. My first impression is A+ for these.

>I just recieved my
>wide Hardscrabbles and they are
>awesome.

>Haven't been on a hike
>with them yet but they
>seem to fit great so
>far.

Best of luck with the kicks. Let us know how they turn out for you. I hope when you put some miles on them you are still very happy.

Just a quick note on some of the boots I have had a chance to try out. The Kenetrek Mtn Light Hikers I returned because they really hurt my feet and seemed "top-heavy" trying to hike on boulders. I really like my Lowa Tibets. They are a little heavy but have lots and lots of support plus a thick sole that protects against sharp rocks. I also have a pair of Lowa Kody's. They are super lightweight and for you archery guys have a super quiet sole similar to the Lowa Renegades. I also have Scarpa Mustangs and they are super comfortable and a great medium weight boot. They have a fairly stiff sole and are likely the most comfortable of the boots I've tried. I now have a set of light, medium, and heavy hikers that ought to be good for multi-terrain, weather, and conditions. I'll be putting them to the test in a couple weeks in Alaska!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom