Kids with Autism & Guns

S

speonio

All,

I thought I would reach out to the hunting community to see if I could get some help with trying to find some resources on any information about Kids with Autism and guns/gun safety, hunting, etc. My oldest son is 7, and has high functioning Autism (social spectrum) and he loves coming hunting with me, and is really getting into it. My wife is super paranoid about him with guns, as he does have some impulse control at times, and it is a worry I share as well, but not to the same degree. Has anyone seen any research or any papers out there, or know anyone that could be a resource for me on the topic? I am looking for anything on how to introduce gun safety with him, any pros/cons of autism and guns, etc. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated, as it is something that has weighed heavily on my mind for a long time.

Thanks

PonoHunt

Parental Guidance Suggested. As with any other child, he needs you to be in control of every situation involving firearms. Maybe he's a bit young at this point to hand over a firearm on the range. Spend as much time as possible teaching him on your own. All firearms should be kept under lock and key regardless of the family situation. A research paper isn't going to to tell you how your son will interact/react with firearms. Good luck, and I'm glad you are planning for this young mans hunting/shooting future. You and your wife need to be the governing authority regarding the issue...no one else.

I have some experience with autistic kids. I've coached and taught probably 10 to 12. I think a lot depends on the functioning level they operate at. I coached a very talented autistic young man in a dangerous event the pole vault. He did very well a state placer. The thing I noticed and possibly you have as well is some autistic children have less self control and less recognition of surroundings that can be potentially dangerous.

I say good for you in including your son in hunting activities. Progress with him in a slow manner and evaluate how he does at each stage of his hunting. First he goes with you as he does now, then carries an unloaded gun safely, then if all goes well he shoots in a controlled environment at a shooting range. Remember you have plenty of time he is only 7. A lot of resources are available to help with bringing him along depending on your area and relationship with resource Special Ed. Teacher.

I posted a few pictures of kids I have started hunting a while back on here the one is a 14 year old autistic boy. He got along just fine although to be honest even though he has passed his hunter safety he takes more supervision than other kids his age. It can safely work best of luck.

I will be in the same situation in a few years. My boy is 4 right now, but also shows a lot of interest. Our plan has been to get a realistic toy gun and start teaching him safety with it, then move on to a BB gun, and eventually a 22 as we feel he is ready. I wouldn't ever leave his side while he was holding the gun, and would only give 1 bb/bullet at a time.
So it'll pretty much be the same as my other kids, just a bit slower and at a pace that is safe and tailored for him. That's the plan anyway.

I have to agree that research and papers may give some insight, but will be much less helpful to you than your own experience with your son.

I have a Master's of Rehabilitation Counseling and have studied a wide range of disabilities. I have experience working with many variations of people and adolescents with Autism.

I think that 7 years old is a bit young for firearms, at least on their own. I remember getting a BB gun for Christmas when I was 7. And any shooting of a .22 was done with my father holding me, or right at my side... I can't see why you couldn't do that with him. But letting him off on his own with a gun, or allowing a gun in his room wouldn't seem advisable right now, Autism or not. I'm a fanatic, and I didn't get a gun for myself until I was 12. So don't fret. You've got plenty of time to get him into it.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

>All,
>
>I thought I would reach out
>to the hunting community to
>see if I could get
>some help with trying to
>find some resources on any
>information about Kids with Autism
>and guns/gun safety, hunting, etc.
>My oldest son is 7,
>and has high functioning Autism
>(social spectrum) and he loves
>coming hunting with me, and
>is really getting into it.
>My wife is super paranoid
>about him with guns, as
>he does have some impulse
>control at times, and it
>is a worry I share
>as well, but not to
>the same degree. Has anyone
>seen any research or any
>papers out there, or know
>anyone that could be a
>resource for me on the
>topic? I am looking for
>anything on how to introduce
>gun safety with him, any
>pros/cons of autism and guns,
>etc. Any help you guys
>can give would be greatly
>appreciated, as it is something
>that has weighed heavily on
>my mind for a long
>time.
>
>Thanks
>
>PonoHunt

Autism is such a wide and diverse disorder it is hard to say without working directly with your child. I will say this. I fully disagree with others who think that 7 years old is to young. My son is three now and shoots (not often of a lot). I have spent hours with him. Would I trust him with the gun. Not a chance. But when were are at the range, and I can sit right with him and etc. I will do it. He knows and is actually afraid to even look at the gun safe with out me around. My daughter had her first 22 at 5, she got her first rabbit at 6. She also is deathly afraid of being around guns with out me. I believe it is all about the approach.

I have worked with kids at the high school levels with varying degrees of autism. Many were as you have described. High functioning, and impulse controls, etc. Some I would start with archery, some with 22 lr. But when approached with time, safety, etc. they all did very well. For one kid it was the only time I saw him sit still and not get agitated for more than 20 minutes.

Have you thought about starting archery? This could be a little safer feeling for mom and it could really reinforce the safety issues, and it would allow your son to demonstrate impulse control and responsibility.

If you do go straight to a 22, then get a membership to a really nice club, find times when no one is there (decreases anxiety, and the odds of an outbreak etc.). Use a single shot, sit and watch carefully. When the gun is not being used keep it locked up, or even better see if a friend would hold it in their house/safe thus the boy never has any desire of idea to take it out, etc.

I would do it, I would get him into 4-H asap, I have seen some kids really blossom in the shooting sports.

Does your wife shoot? It sounds to me like you have to convince your wife it is right more than anything. If she does not shoot it maybe time to get her on board as well. Luckily my wife shoots so I have not had much convincing to do.

Also, I really have an issue with labeling kids the way we do today. It is actually advantageous to label a kid. I look at stats etc. and believe that today many kids who would have been considered goofballs 10-15 years ago are now labelled all sorts of things.

Most of the time the kids do really and actually thrive in well structured activities with adults and I am willing to bet it could improve his behavior over all.

You may want to check with an attorney to find out if you can legally let him shoot weapons in your state. I do not know for sure whether there are laws passed for regarding firearms and people with mental defect but there very well may be. I know there are special laws for people with mental defect regarding alcohol or sex. It would not surprise me if some states have specific laws for firearms also.

I feel civilly you can increase your risk dramatically. If God forbid an accident of any sort happened I doubt you would be given any mercy at all regarding civil restitution the minute the plaintiff discovers you supplied a child with autism with a weapon.

Personally I hope it all works out for you and this child and yall can find plenty of fun and adventure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom