lassen zone 4 antelope help

nuts4bucks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-10 AT 12:56PM (MST)[p]my daughter and i drew antelope tags this year and i really want her to have a good time have any of you drawn and hunted this zone before who would be willing to give a fellow hunter some tips thanks in advance p.s. we got the first season hunt

my sons trip 2 yrs ago..
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID40/163.html
more info
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID40/258.html
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID40/123.html
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

+1 on what Rackmaster said above. I had the period 2 last year and scouted the last weekend of the 1st period. Saw hardly anyone and saw lots of bucks and they were just starting to rut so don't get in a big hurry the opening weekend as most will have cleared out after the weekend or by midweek for sure. You'll have a more quality hunt the last half of the week. Fish and game will send you out a paper with places to go with your tag. All those places (Painter Flat, Horse Lake, Shin Mtn etc) they mention hold plenty of animals. Might have to put up with a few hunters over by Shin but there is lots of other Mtns to get up on and get away from the people. Also take a look at any of the out of the way lakes/flats and springs throughout the zone and DON'T overlook hunting/looking in the junipers. Most people/hunters will be around Shin so you might want to stay away form there the opening weekend but there are lots of goats in the area, just look in the out of the way places or hunt that after the crowd leaves. You'll have fun and should see lots of animals. Good luck to you and your daughter....

Congrats on the tags. I live very close to the unit. I spend most of my weekends with my kids out in the area keeping tabs on animals in hopes of drawing a tag in the future. Painters Flat, Shin Mt. and the Horse lake area will produce animals but the experience could be a little frustrating due to everyone else who was lucky enough to draw for the area has also recieved the same direction. This is a good year to have the tag due to the amount of moisture we recieved late in the spring, the groceries are very healthy which have helped to produced some healthy looking head gear. It is however very dry out there now. Focus on the areas near the California/ Nevada State line or the northeastern areas in the juniper country. There are some big bucks out there this year. If you need some more specific help let me know I'll PM you. Congrats.

thanks to all who responded,huntaholic we could use all the help we can get and it would be much appreciated. to the others who p.m.ed and said to email them i have to wait until my daughter gets home from work so i can get her email address as my computer if broke and i cant figure out how to check my email on her computer. i would like to try some different places other than the ones that the f&g give out to all 45 tag holders who drew. i dont mind seeing less animals as long as they are quality animals and there are less hunters.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-10 AT 11:29AM (MST)[p]

nuts4bucks, I'll shoot you a PM with my email. If you'd like, I'll give you several spots where we saw nice pronghorns last year when my son drew a first season lassen tag. They're places where you won't see so many hunters (as in, I don't think we ran across another hunter at all) and while the numbers and density are lower, there are some big bucks in these spots most years. Watch for PM. Here is a picture of the buck my son shot last year, in the northeast corner of the unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom