Late Archery Elk

SanJuan

I have a late archery tag in unit 10.

I spent a few days in the unit this spring and have a decent idea of access outside of the Big Bo (it was still closed when I was there). I plan on making another scouting trip this weekend, just been waiting for the rut to die down.

Did anyone hunt there this year? If so do you think many bulls made it through the rut unbroken? How's the water been? Seems like it's been dry enough to concentrate the elk on the remaining water sources.

Any suggestions on tactics for these late hunts? I plan on staying mobile and glassing as well as sitting water if I must.

Is this tag worth 6 points? I have killed some nice bulls and I know the OTC unit I grew up in fairly well. It's quite likely I could fill the freezer here in CO with a 3rd season OTC tag. I think AZ is currently the best place to find a true monster and don't want to start over at the back of the line unless I have a decent chance at a big bull.

Would I be better off turning the tag back and waiting for a rut hunt? The wet winter and spring have me hopeful that this is the year to hunt this tag.

Lastly, any suggestions on areas would be welcome via pm or email.

The mountains, not the hills.

The late archery hunt is a very tough hunt!! It can be done, but you need to scout, scout & scout some more. You definitely have your work cut out for you, this hunt is nothing like a rut hunt. You are going to have to hunt your but off & get lucky.

After burning a gaggle of points this year in Arizona. I can tell you there is nothing that compares to a rut archery hunt in Arizona. I have hunted bulls all over the west and Arizona is the real deal. If you have point guard and a sizeable amount of points I would recommend turning your tag back. PM if you want for more intel.
Paul

Thanks for responding guys. I had 8 points going into the draw but 1 was loyalty and one was hunter ed so I really only burnt 6.

I guess I'll continue scouting and make a decision from there.

The mountains, not the hills.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom