Late fishlake elk rifle advice?

Skisonpackout

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this hunt? I’ve been elk hunting OTC in Utah for a few years, but I figured I wanted to go on a LE elk hunt eventually (like 10-15 years) so I finally put in for the first time this year… and then I drew! I couldn’t believe it. I never win anything. I’m pumped for this hunt, but also a bit stressed because I don’t know the elk patterns here. I figured I had a decade to figure it out.

I have all of November off so I can scout the two weeks prior so that will give me a huge help, but I don’t want to spend the first 10 days just wandering around in the wrong spots while they’re all bachelored up somewhere else. I figure they’ll still be in the canyons north of fish lake if the weather is still decent, but if the weather has turned, they’ll be in the south facing PJ by Loa/Bicknell? If you know the area, where do you see the elk that time of year? Thanks for your help!

I’m not sure on fishlake itself, but last year during November I saw several great bulls on the west side of Thousand Lakes which is part of the unit for elk.

In my experience we've found them in the steep, dark canyons. Cover ground and glass in the early and late hours of the day.

Haven't had stormy weather in the years I've hunted it. The elk we have harvested have been around 9k' in elevation.

Sounds like you have the time. Enjoy it, it's a fun tag to have!

Thanks guys! That’s good info. Yeah I’ve checked out the east side of thousand lakes and didn’t find much sign and it seemed like poor elk habitat (overgrown with conifers, little grass). I’ll be down there a lot and don’t mind hiking all over the place in some steep country

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom