LE utah elk

bschnoor

Just a few questions for anyone with info on Utah. I am a non resident with 6 points. I'm considering applying for the new November hunt. I assume draw odds will be slightly better? I'm curious if the elk are still visible that time of year, ie. using the feed lots, or if they are holed up in the timber? I'm also curious if snow that time of year could limit your access? I'm not particular to any of the units, would be happy to go anywhere. Thanks - Brian

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-04 AT 08:13PM (MST)[p]I think a lot of us Utahns are looking into the same thing. The closest thing you'd get to a feed lot situation would be up around Hardware Ranch on the South Cache, but the bulls know right where the boundary is. There may be a few feed lot situations on the Manit in Sanpete County, but other than that I think it would be a tough hunt w/o a lot of snow.

Areas like the Pahvant, San Juan, Monroe, etc. wouldn't be too bad because you wouldn't be coming off of the muzzleloader general elk hunt-which ends 2 days prior to this hunt. The Wasatch, Nebo, Manti, etc. would have some fairly educated elk that are going to be hanging in the steepest, thickest crap they can find-unless there is enough snow to push them out.

If we got some huge storms it could be easier than shooting a cow at a feed lot though. Bottom line is that it could be a really tough hunt without some weather-if you're after a 350+ type bull.

I think the weather will be the greatest factor in the success rate on the late hunts. The snow will help in some instances pushing the animals lower, but then will limit access. Animals in lower country also mean animals on more private ground. Without the snow, you may have to push deep in the timber looking for the bulls trying to rehab from the rut.
Lots of interesting scenarios here. Should be an interesting hunt to say the least. I still think if you have done your scouting, you should be able to harvest a great bull..

A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm still unsure as to what I'm going to do. My scouting would probably consist of a few days before the season as I'm a non resident. I'm also considering the north cache early hunt. Thanks - Brian

Brian-How many points do you have?

I don't have anything against the North Cache-there was a 400+ bull taken off of it this year. It can be a bit steeper, thicker, and meaner than some of the other units-even during the rut. I lived in Logan for 3 years and spent some time chasing cows and spikes around the Cache.

If you have the points the Wasatch and Manti would be a great hunt for an out of stater. Lots of Public land and easy access too most of it-which is good and bad.

Wish I was an out of stater with the points I have-I could actually draw something;)

My buddy had a Muzz Pahvant tag in 2000. This was the last year for the Nov. hunts. We slogged through 3+ ft. of snow for two weeks before taking a 320+ bull. Don't bet on the weather pushing those big bulls too much. This hunt is a tough one. Be prepared to work your tail off. The big bulls still don't want to come down and are extremely wary. If you want a quality hunting experience, put in for it but do't expect to shoot one of a road. Was one of the best hunts we'd ever been on.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom