Leupold VX-3 vs Vortex Viper HS LR

Lien2

Very Active Member
I've narrowed the new scope choices to these two for my 7mm Rem Mag. Does anyone have any experience with either or a preference?

I like the zero stop on the HS LR, but I don't like exposed top turret of the Viper HS LR on an all around hunting rifle...knobs eventually get turned.

Last year i built up a 7mm mag Tikka super light, i mounted a VX 3--3.5 to 10 with Talley rings, no turret , no bull to go wrong, bore sighted it on the bench took it to the range , 3 shots later 2inches high at 100 yards, since then i have ran 300 rounds through it. It shoots sub MOA every time. Its a 7 pound gun fully loaded . And yes it kicks hard but the scope takes it . I almost put on a swaro. Glad i didn't

American vs Chinese. easy choice for me.

The VX-6 is the best hunting scope Leupold has ever made. the only downside is weight .

Stay thirsty my friends

Actually its American vs. Phillipines. I would also look at the Zeiss offerings in the same price range...they are clearer/sharper than the other two mentioned. I own Leupold, Zeiss, and Vortex scopes (upper end only). I'm pleased with all three.

Leupold just replaced a scope I bought in 1976. I'm sure you saw my other post. Only cosmetic to boot, the scope was fine. How do you beat that kind of service?

I have both and the Leupold wins. Longer eye relief, cleaner glass edge to edge, smoother operation, and Leupolds famous warranty. I will not buy another vortex. Still a decent scope but its just not quite there.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I assume you were considering the HS LR for a reason. If the ballistic compensating capabilities are important, then there is not comparison, go with the Vortex.

I believe between these two the benefit of the Leupold is weight and slight edge in clarity.

Fact is for me, I only need ultimate clarity when trying to put one hole inside the other at the range. In the field, I only need to be sure I am on the shoulder. In the field, making adjustments for conditions, including wind, is important and here is where the Vortex reticle/turrets come in to play. If you wish to shoot farther, even if only at the range, the Vortex will certainly be helpful.

While Vortex does not have the long long history of service on warranty that Leupold does, it has proven so far that it backs it's product and it's warranty is as forgiving as any including Leupold and Swaro.

While it may be true that eventually an exposed turret may get moved, mine has not in 6 years and probalby 180 days in the field. If that is a concern, don't get the exposed version HS LR, just get the same in a straight Viper, it's turrets are capped, and it's cheaper.

American made is a consideration, but that is personal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom