Lion kill

guywildstorm

Found my second lion kill buck this past Sat. about a 180 class 4x4. Should have the pics back Tues. and if I can figure out how to post them I will put them on here. The first buck I found was back in December, he gross scores 195. My little brother found one that goes about 185. That one was way fresh, just killed that night. Broken nose and his horns have some really deep scratches in them from the lion. And when he got him cleaned and bleached you can see a canine puncture in the nose.

walked up on the mountain last friday and found 2 deer 2 cow elk and a 2 by 4 bull all lion killed within the last month. Anyone in carbon or emery counties that wants to get a lion sometime e-mail me and i can tell you where they are. Saw 3 different ones that day one had 3 legs.
[email protected]

i was out looking for some sheds the other day and found 2 lion kills about 50ft a part but nothing real nice.

I shed hunt a draw where I find on average 3 lion kill bucks a year over the past five, but the lion always seems to hit it after they've shed. I also saw a bighorn sheep skull that a lion got. It chewed his face off and there was perfect teeth imprints above both eye sockets.

lion kill experts---

I'm curious as to how you guys are determining lion kills vs winter kills, coyote kills poaching kills etc. I can understand if it were a day or three old but once it has started to decay, birds get to it etc. it would be difficult to determine unless it was covered in some way. Help me out.

Thanks

Todd

NO expert here, but I do pick up a few racks from winter kills. I'am not 100% positive as to what predator is doing the killing but in my area it can only be cats or yotes. Poaching is not a problem for I've never seen anyone in my hell holes. So...to go out on a limb like a panther...IMO it's approximately 50/50 with the cat having a slight advantage. I have found kills that were not buried that had the flange busted off. One thing I'd be willing to bet on is that if you find a monster winter kill.....who cares what and when killed it! Kill all predators if you have the chance.

Well said Yollaboy!! The one I found this past weekend was in a spot that I would be willing to bet there hasnt been person in since last hunting season ended. The first one I found I cant say for sure, it wasnt to far off of a road and might of got hit and made it that far before he died. The one my brother found had kitty tracks all over in the snow and had claw marks down the back from shoulder to hip and had bite marks on his nose.Dont really care what killed them just disappointed me or some other hunter didnt get the chance to harvest them.

Lion kills are usually buried in some way and still end up scattered, but often in open sagebrush country the kill is not buried so much as hidden.I found a buck this year that had been dead for quite some time,I figure from sickness of some sort. He was laying underneath a tree in fairly open country,plenty of snow to see tracks, (none) and not one bird turd to be seen! No bullet or arrow holes, no sign of trauma, no blood,Just a dead buck laying in his bed like he went to sleep.I'm fairly sure he'ld been dead for at least a month or two,frozen and covered with snow.I found a mt. goat in the same area, frozen fresh, only a foot sticking out of the snow, mostly eaten, face chewed off and canine holes in the skull.Easily identified as a lion kill. The old lion tracks in the snow were a dead giveaway. My point being most of us who will even hike out into these places are probably smart enough to read the signs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom