Liquid Game bags?

blazingsaddle

Has anyone used this before? I bought a bottle yesterday. It says its guarenteed to keep flys and insects off your meat. The ingredients say its all natural, and has peppers in it. I know peppers help keep the meat cutters away.
I thought I would give a try, but would love to hear more about it, before I trust it with a lot of meat.
Does anyone know if it washes off, or if you have to worry about the coating before you process the meat?

The guy that operates Indian Valley Meat up near Anchorage, Alaska swears by the stuff. Some guys spray the meat liberally with it, some soak their game bags in the stuff and let them dry, and some guys do both. I think the stuff is a mixture of citric acid and pepper extract, which both deter flys and such from getting to your meat.
WVBOWAK

I know the guy up at Indian Valley Meats in Alaska. I think his name is Doug. He gave us a bunch of that stuff (If I remember it was his own brand). It's basically just citric acid powder. I've used it several times, it keeps the flies off and works well.

He cut up our Caribou one year while we were staying over in Anchorage before our flight home. He was real nice and gave us an extra 100 pounds of ground caribou. Well the first time we cooked it up I knew why he gave it away. That was the ruttiest, pissiest, stinky meat I've ever tried in my life. Stunk the house up for a week. Dogs wouldn't eat it. (Moral of the story, any time a game processor tries to give you free meat, just pass.)

As many have mentioned it does contain and acid and many people just put lemon juice and water into a spray bottle. I believe the way it works is the acid actually burns the fly's feet when he lands and that is what keeps them off--and yeah it is fine to eat/or wash off.

BearCat

Stuff works great. Only place I've heard of using it is Alaska though, don't know why it hasn't caught on down here.

Blazing,
You should be able to pickup citric acid crystals or sour salt can be bought and you can make your own solution. You should be able to find it at the pharamacy and health food stores. Hope this helps.
WVBOWAK

Thanks guys-
There is not a lot of talk about it, at least that I hear.
I am excited to use it. I may try soaking my game bags in it, just for extra protection.
I'll look into a homemade version as well. I'm sure it will come out cheaper.

I worked at a sporting goods store in the late 80's. They sold a liquid game bag in a bottle which was vegetable oil mixed with pepper and I don't know what else. Worked ok, not a new concept...

Okay the stuff is called Gamesaver. It's available at indianvalleymeats.com. The good news is it's only $3.19, the bad news is shipping is $31.50. I would call them and see if they can ship it priority mail for $5. The stuff works great and I have sprayed it on game bags while in the field as well as straight onto the meat.

I have used it a lot on deer and elk. It not only keeps the flys away it also keeps the yellow jackets away. We put game bags over the meat and then spray on the Liquid game bag you will be suprised how well it works. The kind I use is manufactered in Evensston, Wy. 1-866-348-3414.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom