Long Range Tar Baby"

2lumpy

Long Time Member
I should have gone to bed three hours ago. 5:30 is just around the corner again.

Just an observation, from one guy's narrow perspective. Very narrow I might add. Certainly no better than anyone else's, probably more bias than it should be. And let me say this right up front, I'm not looking for a fight or wanting to offend anyone, just sharing my observations, personal experiences and current opinions, once again, no better or worse than anyone else's.

I started hunting big game in 1961. I owned a .303 British Enfield, with a military elevation open sight. You could use it as a fence post or a hunting rifle, wasn't much of a weapon, by today's standards.

I killed a lot of deer and antelope with it. Most shots were between 50 and 150 yards. I killed one antelope at right close to 300 yards, more luck that good management, I guarantee you. Everybody in my neighborhood thought is was a fantastic shot and made a big deal out of it. In today's politically/ethically correct society, I had no business even putting the rifle to my shoulder, on that antelope.

It wasn't until I was 24 years old, in 1971, that I owned a rifle with a scope on it. It was a wedding gift from a gentleman that treated me like a son. It was a .308 Winchester, semi auto with a Weaver 4 power scope. I loved that gun but I couldn't hit a deer with it regardless of the range. I could hit baby jar lids at 100 yards but missed more deer than I care to remember with that rifle. I just never could get any confidence with it after so many misses, I had to retire it and moved on. I bought a Browning BAR 7mm with a 3 x 9 Redfield. (Variable scopes had been around long before I ever owned one.)

I shot wood, then fiberglas long bows when I was a kid, hunted ground squirrels and prairie hares with them. In 1972 I bought a laminated recurve bow, with a build in rest, imagine that, a bow with a rest build right into the handle. Then along around 1987, when my boys were getting into hunting, I upgraded to a compound, so I could keep up with the kids. (Compounds had been around long before I owned one.)

In 1976, I purchased a Thompson Center Hawkin .50 muzzleloader. I did it because I wanted two things, first, I wanted the "challenge" of hunt big game the way the old trappers and early explorers did, kind of like archery, I wanted to hunt like the Indians, the greatest hunters that ever hunted in America. Secondly, I'm greedy, I wanted to be hunting everyday that I could. In 1976, in Utah, I could buy a tag and hunt a season with archery, then muzzleloader and then rifle. In the late 1970's the UDWR wanted to discontinue the muzzleloader hunt. The Utah Muzzleloaders Association lobbied the "Big Game Board" for a hunt, after everybody else was finished hunting. We made the case that it was a primitive weapon hunt, open sights, round ball, 1 in 28 twist barrel, low harvest and low impact. We win. In the early years, November muzzleloader success was closer to 15% than 20%, even though it was pushing up against the rut. A bunch of us owned 18 foot lodges (teepee), leathers, knives, hawks, hair-pipe necklaces, beaded shirt and all the trappings to go with our .50 cal Hawkins. In the beginning the muzzleloader weapons were very primitive and success was marginal. (Much like my fiberglas bow and .303 Enfield. As with archery equipment, and rifle optics, muzzleloader enthusiasts gradually improved on their weapons.)

Now muzzleloaders have fast twist barrels, hot cap systems, fancy powder, red dot scopes, jacketed bullets, and they keep improving their ability to shove a projectile of some kind down a barrel, adding a modern scope on the "thing" that will hit a milk jug at 500 yards.

My point is this, in my opinion, nothing in present day archery equipment resembles the archery equipment of the 1950s and the way people hunt with archery equipment has changed right along with the change in archery equipment. The same is true with muzzleloader equipment and muzzleloader hunters.

Where is the out rage? Why not a RMEF article on these hunter's ethics? Where is B & C's fair chase definition when it comes to Rocket Launcher bows and Luke Skywalker muzzleloaders?

It seems highly hypocritical and pious, to the upmost, for these folks to pick a fight with the optics folks. Lets face it, a military 30.06, from the 1940s can be tuned into 1000 yard hits, with current high grade optics mounted on it. So it's the optics that have changed, not the accuracy or the distance a rifle will shoot.

Now, if RMEF wants to get into the business of determining hunter ethics, rather promoting hunting and elk conservation, their Board of Directors can let the current executive staff continue to divide and weaken hunting, if they want to. It's their business how they conduct their business, for better or worse. If the B &C wants to amend their awards criteria to a set of standards that include more limitations than they current have, that to, is their business, they have every right to do that, so long as they don't pretend that their view of ethical hunting is the only definition of ethical hunting.

As I said, neither of these entities seems to be all that exercised over the archers or the muzzleloaders. (Yes I know, B & C does care about archery or Muz but the point is the same, they are apparently looking into the ethics of long range optics, as a ethics issue, while they turn a blind eye to what the whole hunting community has been doing for the last 50 years.)

Let's step back and look at this from a little future back and then maybe it will explain what will most likely happen in the future. It would be nice if sportsmen could be ahead of the curve for once but we can't so well end up gut shooting each other while we slug our way through, to a solution.

Since time began, humans have naturally adopted new solutions to solve their problems. In the beginning, hunting was a solution to hunger. Humans developed better and better tools to meet the need to eat and or fight. As quick as someone came up with a better way to do it, they adapted and adopted the new method. It wasn't unethical to go from a spear to a bow. It was a amazing!

Nothing has change in 350,000 years (give or take). Humans are literally "driven", yes, genetically driven, to innovate. To do it faster, more efficient, cheaper, and to use the least amount of energy to do it. We're the same as fish, we won't go after it if the energy expenditure exceeds the reward. So to expect humans to stop being human, to stop innovating, to stop creating, to stop striving for efficiency and stop trying to build a better mouse trip, is dreaming of a world that has never existed or will it. Simply, it would require that humans stop being humans.

So what's the solution?

Think about it. Hand grenades can kill a moose, but your not allowed to use them in an "any weapon" hunt. Utah restricts muzzleloaders to one power scopes. Try that 500 yarder with a red dot. I'll put up a fifth of Alberta Sipping Whiskey to the first guy that can punch a milk jug with a one power scope, and black powder, with any muzzleloader, regardless of the twist or the projectile. It won't cost over a hundred dollars to cover that bet.

The solution to long range optics hunting is simply regulate against specific optics technology, like they are all ready doing in some States with muzzleloaders. Or, it's pretty darn hard to kill big game at 800 yard if all you can hunt with is a slug chambered shot gun. The States can fix the long range issue as easy as 1, 2, 3, if the sportsmen decide they want them to.

However, it seem pretty disingenuous to me that, as a group of sportsmen, we allow archery and muzzleloader technologies to improve the harvest ratio of their hunts without a wimper while we treat rifle hunters, who are fundamental doing the same thing with their equipment, as unethical and blame them for destroying the resource.

Listen, archery and muzzleloader harvest success rates have increased from between 30% to 60%, in the last 50 years. Has anyone worried that increase has endangered the resource.

Truthfully, I am all for long bow hunts, flintlock hunts, open sight lever action hunts, hell, we can have a spear hunts. Having said that, I'd support a long range only hunt too, but I'd limit the tags as opposed to a number of tags I'd issue on a spear hunt.

Here's a question, that makes as much sense as RMEF getting into this discussion.

Would atlatl hunters wound more big game than long range rifle hunters? I would venture a guess we could argue that for the next 50 years too.

Bottom-line. if hunters want more restrictions or more limitation or what every you'd like to call it, we can have them, if you can create enough of a ground swale of support. If you can't get the support, if archers are killing more, if muzzleloaders are killing more, if rifle hunters are killing more, (there are only so many animals available to kill each year), we'll either have fewer critters to divide among the weaponry or we'll have few hunters.

It seems to me, if one kind of weapons hunter has to give up some of his technology, then the other two weapons hunters should be required to, in kind.

Who's to say where it stops or even if it should.

DC

This is a good post. I pretty much agree with it. I agree groundswell is what is needed and I think that is what is taking place now. Fact is, like you said there are limits on the other two weapons. a 1x muzzy scope is more of a hinderance than anything. Simple physics limits bows. Yes the increase from longbow to compound is sizeable, but we are still within 100yrds. My point is simple. Once you leave the shooters capability, or intellegence or what have you that is where the line should be drawn. Windmeters, balastic computer/calculators, and yes, even range finders. I know that last one will pizz off a lot of people but like you said you have to be fair across the board. Someone is always going to cry foul. I think the speed limit to Wendover should be 90, that doesn't mean that it is.
We are in a shaky time in hunting. We have to fight to save land, 2 of our iconic species(mule deer, moose) are really struggling. Man made or not, there is some climate change happening, we are loosing the next generation of hunters to video games and tag cuts. I truly believe that if we let the sport become nothing more than shooting fury targets, it will disapear rapidly.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to shoot far. Nothing wrong with trying to perfect balastics. Nothing wrong with pushing technology. They are all great passtimes. I always believe a guy never has enough guns. BUT, hunting ang shooting ARE different. They always have been. WE self regulate hunting because we realize that if we don't the resourse will disapear. WE HAVE to have a 20-30% sucess rate. We don't have enough animals to support high sucess rates, and YES a lot of that means we have to have missing, we have to have blown stalks, we have to have misjudged ranges.
There are high fence units for guys that don't want to hunt. There are high fence units for guys that want to shoot genetic freaks. Seems to me, no one is stopping a private hunting unit, perhaps even a CWMU, from doing what they want in regards to Long Range, but on the already fragile public units, we have to regulate because there isn't the resource. I don't get to rifle hunt deer or elk during the rut simply because the sucess rates would be to high, not because the old guys don't like my new fangled gadgets. The personalities need to be seperated from the technology on this one.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

LOL Lumpy!

I Don't see B&C sayin much about STICKFLIPPERS or SMOKEPOLES though,lol!

Won't be long & you won't even have to get out of your Vehicle to take an Animal!

Not my way of Huntin!

But you know what I'm sayin!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

I'll go back to My HAWKIN if STICKFLIPPERS go back to their Recurves!:D

I'll stay with My Short Range 7 MAG with a 3.5X10 if everybody gives up their Long Range 1,000+ Yard Weaponry!:D

I will GROUND the PERTY BIRDY if everybody else Gives theirs up too!:D

I will leave my Short Range 600 Yard Range Finder Home if everybody else leaves their 1,000+ Yard Range Finders Home as well!:D

The List just keeps going!

Good post lump, agree with most of it. I think in archery and muzzleloader alot of states have drawn lines on technology. In co for example muzzleloaders are not allowed scopes, sabbots, or pelleted powder. And archers can't use crossbows during archery season. At some point as u say the ground swell will b there and this optic technology will b limited. This is, as we all know, "the" hot topic and more and more organizations like RMEF will continue to weigh in. It is a divisive issue as alot of guys get a rush at shooting lr. My personal feeling is it's a giant leap in takein out more mature animals. Is that our goal?

+1 lumpy. Thanks for saying what I was too lazy to take the time to say.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Why is it that a guy that hunts DIY, builds or has someone build a custom rifle, hand loads and practices all year to become effective at longer ranges is considered un-ethical. When his week or two week long hunt may rely on him being able to kill at longer ranger to be successful and may only have one chance. Yet at the same time a trophy hunter that hires guides/posse to find the trophy's and lead them to them is considered a great hunter?
People who are effective at longer ranges are criticized, yet I have seen many people that have no problem shooting off hand at game 50 to 100 yards that can not hit the broad side of a barn at that range. Long range is not for everyone, but those that practice and are good at it should not be condemned.

I do not know about the rest of you, but I hunt to be successful. I can camp and enjoy taking pictures of wildlife any time.

Bill

Great post and hard to disagree with. To keep us all on level ground do we need to find a way to regulate moneys ability to let someone with more cash resourses to use more than his share of natural resourses? Just sayin"

I think people focus on ethics too much in regard to technology, and not enough on what technology actually CAUSES.

That is less opportunity and shorter seasons as technology and success rates climb.

There is a limited resource and only so much of it can be harvested before game managers take action. Since most aren't in favor of limiting technology, the only option left is to limit time in the field or lowering quotas.

I have less problem with the technology as long as those promoting same don't whine/#####/complain when tag numbers fall, seasons are shortened, etc. I often see those defending LR archery, rifle, ML hunting cry a river when managers cut tag numbers and shorten seasons.

Technology in hunting has consequences...no free lunch.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-14 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]2lumpy, Very well written post as usual with some valid points made, but to say that there has not been criticism or limits imposed on the archery and muzzleloading technology is not true.

At some point we have to limit ourselves if we truly are conservationists. Me must limit our practices if really do care about wildlife and want them flourish. That why we have bag limits, season dates, daylight only hunting, etc.. Long range technology is no different, at some point enough is enough. We as hunters must decide that limit TOGETHER. I find it rediculous and very hypocrytical that in every one of these long range post there are many who jump down someones throat and name call anyone who questions "ethics". If we do not come up with solutions and recommendation as sportsmen we will eventually just be told by some government agency what the new laws are without much input.

Bill Demmer of B&C has a very valid point and IMO is correct in saying, "Some people don't like us talking about ethics, claiming it divides hunters when hunters should be united. Rallying around hunting ethics is how sportsmen did away with the anything-goes culture that nearly eliminated big game in the early days of the conservation movement. I believe doing right by the game and the traditions of hunting still unites hunters."

Because crusty old grouchy know it all d-bags think their way is the only way and if you do it different....there outta be a law dag nabbit...that's not the way we did it when grandpappy and I walked the hills.....we killed em at 60 yards with a Mauser rifle ol pappy swiped off a dead Nazi.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-14 AT 11:26AM (MST)[p]I don't need some guy from Boone and Crockett preaching to me about ethics. The score sheet has done more to harm hunting than any long range rifle ever will.

jls, Im assuming you meant my post not heffes jabs at our older generation, at least I hope.

Heffe, I cant believe it but I sort of agree with you in that the score sheet has done more harm than good. IMO the want and need by some to get into the book is what initially started this boom in long range technology. That is why I respect and completely agree with B&C's new stance on LR shooting. I feel it is their way of saying there is much much more to hunting than just seeing an animal a mile away and sniping it.

While I agree, I however will point out that many states have rules restricting more traditional weapons. Like mentioned by others here, Colorado archery does not allow cross bows, does not allow magnifying sights, does not allow draw lock systems, etc. Muzzy does not allow scopes, etc.

At some point there is going to be public backlash against hunters for long range hunting! It is happening with in our community and it will happen outside as well! It is hard to argue that there is anything sporting about shooting an animal that is 2 ridges away.

One of the biggest arguments against hunting in general is fairness and sport. I would be willing to bet that soon there will be backlash from the general public in this area.

The subject will follow the same path as predator contest! Despite their positive benefits the contest are falling under greater pressure and are slowly getting shut down!

Long range hunting will follow the same path! At some point shooting a half mile will not be accepted by the general public. They will see to see how shooting an animal at those ranges require any sort of sport, fairness and skill (sorry but today's technology does not require a lot of skill)! I know that last post will be argued, but just watching best of the west will prove how technology can overcome skill, or a 12 year old shooting 800 yards etc.

The biggest poison to hunting is the chest thumping, advertising that is taking place. Combine that with hooting hollering, etc. It reflects poorly on hunting in general! The younger generation of hunters are going to face some harsh battles as time goes on! As a group we can choose to self police, recognize the issues and self regulate or we can stand around here arguing, thumping our chest while the anti hunters and the general public gain speed!

I would rather see hunters show restraint and character and work on resolving the issue as opposed to us bickering amongst ourselves!

By putting in place limits on optics, or other technologies, we should be able to avoid major conflicts being sent to the general public in the form of a ballot. However if we continue to turn a blind eye, we will eventually be just like Colorado having lost our spring bear hunts, hunting with hounds, baiting, and trapping! All of which were taken because we did not do a food enough job policing ourselves!

heffe, Nobody can give a specific definition to the term "long range", it is impossible. The word long in itself is broad and has many definitions and uses. There is no magical number of yards or feet to define long range. What may seem far to one person may seem close to another. The technology in which we use to achieve further distance is the issue, not trying to figure out an exact number of yards that is socially acceptable.

Just a couple of examples of how to limit technology while still letting guys feel like they are snipers are banning the use of turrets, wind meters, etc., on big game hunts.

the "rub" as i see it, is how can we as a group agree on such a divided issue? I've already well seen how many guys react when talking of finding a solution. Right now, i see two sides, both with every right to support their desires and opinions.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Good comments. At the end of the day, each hunter has to set his own personal limits as to what type of shots he is willing to take while hunting. I personally don't have any interest in 1,000 yard rifle kills, 300 yard muzzleloader kills and 150 yard archery kills. Plus, I don't don't have the equipment or skill to accomplish such feats.

And DC, actually in Utah you can hunt rutting bull elk with your 300 Ultramag rifle with a nightforce scope and kill them at 40 yards after calling them in. That never made much sense to me.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

elks96 nailed it . If hunters would use good judgment and not create the need for additional regulations Im all for it . In my opinion we are over regulated as it is and banning certain equipment will set a very dangerous precedent .

D6, I'll have to agree to disagree with your assertion that banning certain equipment will set a dangerous precedent. It has been done for decades and will continue to be done. I can't think of any catastrophic repercussions that have followed. In my home state of Utah you cannot use a scope on a muzzleloader that magnifies more than 1x, no crossbows during archery season, and thank god they recently banned the use of drones before it got out of control just to name a few. Somehow as hunters we've managed to cope without those items.

I have no idea how this "tag baby" is going to play out, regardless, regulator or not regulate. Your can count on one thing "FOR SURE" the ability to kill big game at longer and longer distances will continue, with our with out regulations.

Like other weapons, I'm guessing different States will adopt different positions on optics, now and in the future.

This much I know, as technologies age, the manufactures learn new and better ways to make what was one day $10,000 and re-invent it for $500.00. A system for hitting a target, reliably, with proper perperation a very few years ago would cost the buyer in excess of $5000 to $10,000. Today, with what "regular" optic's companies such as Leapold, Nikon, Vortex, are selling rifle scopes that will kill reliably, in the hands of a practiced shooter, at 800/1000 yards. 1500 yard range finders are down to under $500. At these prices, a sportsman can purchase a stock Savage for$400, put a $250 scope on it, buy a range finder for $500 and with practice, be in the long range business. In the near future, it will be even less expensive. When compound bows are in excess of $500 and another $400 for sights, etc. the long range shooting cost has already arrive at the price that an entry level hunter can afford to buy in.

Some have mentioned, and I agree, it's going be one or the other, regulate the weaponry, reduce the resource, or reduce the harvest, be it archer, muzzleloader or rifle. There are no other options and yet before it's over all decided we're all get covered in hot sticky tar.

Yet, it's still the way it's always been. "ADAPT OR DIE"

For me, I'm not going down the ethics road, it's too subjective, if it's legal people will behave according to their definition of ethics and not mine or yours. I don't presume to tell you yours nor will I allow you to determine mine. It's like porn, I may not know how to define it, but I know it when I see it.

DC

Maybe we should let the wildlife agencies harvest the game and everyone can get an equal portion of the meat, hide and antlers as a participation trophy for purchasing a license. Then everyone could feel like they got their fair share that was ethically harvested. No arguments over wilderness areas, ATV's, scopes, range finders, rifles, muzzle loaders, bows or how far SOMEONE ELSE should shoot. We could have a Kumbaya season where everyone can camp in the national forest and sit around the campfire singing songs (as long as you stay within 30 feet of an approved travel route and don't disturb any leaves or pine needles). Clearly, most "hunters" think they know best how everyone else should enjoy the outdoors and the government should enforce their will on everyone else.

Or people could keep their opinions as just that, an opinion, instead of trying to turn it into a government regulation.

The way I see it, every hunter knows deep down inside if what they are doing is wrong. Maybe hunters ought to learn to listen better to that still small voice.

>Why is it that a guy
>that hunts DIY, builds or
>has someone build a custom
>rifle, hand loads and practices
>all year to become effective
>at longer ranges is considered
>un-ethical. When his week or
>two week long hunt may
>rely on him being able
>to kill at longer ranger
>to be successful and may
>only have one chance.
>Yet at the same time
>a trophy hunter that hires
>guides/posse to find the trophy's
>and lead them to them
>is considered a great hunter?
>
>People who are effective at longer
>ranges are criticized, yet I
>have seen many people that
>have no problem shooting off
>hand at game 50 to
>100 yards that can not
>hit the broad side of
>a barn at that range.
>Long range is not for
>everyone, but those that practice
>and are good at it
>should not be condemned.
>
>I do not know about the
>rest of you, but I
>hunt to be successful.
>I can camp and enjoy
>taking pictures of wildlife any
>time.
>
>Bill

I don't consider them great hunters, and I don't look down on you. It ain't about personalities its about the future of the sport.
If I spend the time and money to get a drone, then the time and money to weaponize if. I then spend the time to learn to use it, why shouldn't I be able to use it?

Is there any limit to technolgy you endorce or is a free for all? I am not being a #####, I am curious as to what guys think.

>define long range. I asked BC
>to do it and they
>refused.

Any distance that employs artificial intellegence to accomplish the shot. You want to pack a 50x scope, go for it. You need a wind meter and ballistic computer or calculator to do the math I think thats the line. I realize that means some dudes will still reach out 1000yrds. I wish "ethics" hadn't been brought into this it makes it to personal. It should be about whats best for the future of the sport, so in short whats best for the herds.

>Maybe we should let the wildlife
>agencies harvest the game and
>everyone can get an equal
>portion of the meat, hide
>and antlers as a participation
>trophy for purchasing a license.
>Then everyone could feel like
>they got their fair share
>that was ethically harvested. No
>arguments over wilderness areas, ATV's,
>scopes, range finders, rifles, muzzle
>loaders, bows or how far
>SOMEONE ELSE should shoot. We
>could have a Kumbaya season
>where everyone can camp in
>the national forest and sit
>around the campfire singing songs
>(as long as you stay
>within 30 feet of an
>approved travel route and don't
>disturb any leaves or pine
>needles). Clearly, most "hunters" think
>they know best how everyone
>else should enjoy the outdoors
>and the government should enforce
>their will on everyone else.
>
>
>Or people could keep their opinions
>as just that, an opinion,
>instead of trying to turn
>it into a government regulation.
>
>
>The way I see it, every
>hunter knows deep down inside
>if what they are doing
>is wrong. Maybe hunters ought
>to learn to listen better
>to that still small voice.
>

I agree, lets all just kill whatever we want whenever we want. That works really great, even with laws we still have our friends the poachers. Get real, this isn't about equality, its about the survival of the sport.

hossblur - What makes you different than a poacher? Hopefully, it's because you choose to do what's right and not the fear of government retribution if you get caught. We actually do kill whatever we want, whenever we want. Fortunately, most people want to kill that for which they possess a tag during the appropriate season. Myself and those with whom I hunt want to dispatch our quarry quickly and humanely. We keep our shots within our personal capabilities. I seriously doubt an anti-hunter will change their view if killing shots are limited to weapons equipped with 4X scopes or a distance not to exceed 200 yards.

Sage, I would hope so too. I believe poachers are simply killers. I don't think they give it a thought. My libertarian leanings agree with you. Its waterfowl season now, I watch day after day as guys, who are just enjoying the day, skybust. I don't think they go out thinking "I am gonna skybust today", they get caught up in the moment, or they have to "kill something". I believe the reason most guys limit their muzzleloader shots it because at some point that front sight covers the entire deer, not because the gun won't reach that far.
Do I want to hunt with you and your crew, YEAH, but experience tells us that isn't most hunters. Most are "weekend warriors" who don't spend that time that you do. A bunch are young guys that don't understand the ballistics that you might. They aren't better or worse than anyone, thats just what they are. But I do think that the only way this sport survives is is for every one or two bulls killed 5-10 escape.
I hear anti gunners talk about how the founders never could have thought that the right to bear arms would include 50 cal Barretts or Ar-15's. They are right, doesn't change the intent of the 2nd ammend. I don't know what technology will come in 20 years, but I guarantee it will surpass those 1000yrd guns. What I do know is that there has to be a line, or there will be hunting from the couch, and 100% success rates. Like I keep saying we have to seperate personalities from this issue, your not a bad guy, i like to think I ain't either, but there is an issue presently, and its becoming more so every year.

I agree with alot of what you say lumpy. I have seen first hand some of the advances you speak of. When I was a kid I watched my Dad hunt Deer with a jc higgins 30.06 topped with a weaver 2 power scope. (a dang accurate combo I'd like to add). A few times he hunted Deer with a fiberglass ben pearson and homemade wood arrows.(he even had a homemade cresting turner). Deer were plentiful. When I turned 14 I was able to Hunt with him in Wyoming.(I had to wait until 16 in Utah). My First Rifle was a Remington with a 4X bushnell. And my Bow was a Ben Pearson,I bought second hand at D.I. for 10 bucks. When I was about 20 I met a Man named Reed from P.G. Utah. Alot of you folks probably knew him also. He got me interested in Muzzle loaders. So I bought a kit and built one. 54 cal. thompson renegade. I couldn't believe after months of practising how accurate that smokepole could be. Another Shock was my first year hunting with it. I hunted 5 days and saw 4 people the entire time. WOW this was going to be my new sport!! I harvested a big 3 point that year and it was great. Round ball,90 grns FFg, and a patch. As far as I was concerned Hunting Mule Deer with a Muzzle loader was a custom hunt designed just for me. I hunted this way for many years, and as it became more and more popular The light started to fade for me. I cant remember when it was I saw my first muzzle loader with a scope, I do remember it was on a hawken style rifle, and I remember thinking it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Then the inlines, Then more scopes. I knew people who had scopes on their guns and I ask them where they found 1 power scopes and all three said they had never seen a 1 power and all had 2X7 with a screw that tightened down as to not let them be turned up over 2, and that came with a wink. I stopped Muzzle loader hunting before the "Pellet powder" came out. I Did continue Bow Hunting (mostly Elk) with my old Ben Pearson until about 7 years ago when my shoulders started giving me trouble. Then I joined the compound club. I will say I cant see that the Elk I shoot now are any deader than the ones I shot with the recurve. But as you stated, the Compound is an obvious improvement as far as the weapon itself. It doubled my effective range to 40 yards. I.m sure the scopes they use on Muzzle loaders, And the components they load them with are a huge advantage. HeII I cant imagine a 200 yard shot with my old gun, I'd Bet the front sight (bead) would cover a third of a Deer at that range. I dont want to be ANYONES Ethics police. I have Been accused of that here for relating MY PERSONAL ethics. But I have seen Deer Hunting go from buying a couple tags for the year. And Drawing antlerless Tags. To Drawing a single tag for my hunting area every 3rd year. And I dont even know if there is a draw for Antlerless Deer anymore. If I thought I could still use my recurve I would jump at the chance. But I know I cant. The Muzzle load hunt we have now is unapealing to me. Im sure I wont Bow hunt as long as I would like to, and some day all I might have left is my centerfire rifle. I think it will do me just fine within MY effective range. When I need to hunt Animals beyond MY effective range , then I guess I'll put it away with my Bow and Muzzle loader and go fishing.

"Who's to say where it stops or even if it should."

There's no doubt hunters are more efficient. Not just with rifles/optics, but all manner of gear.

Kids are growing up with this stuff. It's all they'll know unless taught otherwise. Game populations will determine regulations, whether it's season time/length, bag limits, or limits on weapons or access. We become more efficient, game populations go down. Mule deer are especially at risk it seems as there are a host of other factors at work decreasing population.

I happen to think some of the best regulations would be limiting access. Making more country roadless will knock out the riff raff considerably, even the 1,000 yard crack shots.

One thing is for sure, hunters as a whole will not back off on technology until it's forced.

There's also the matter of the game we hunt being so highly prized as to cause some to stretch the limits ethically just to get their mug posted on a forum or in a mag. The popularity of trophy horns/antlers is at an all time high.

It is partially up to those influencing youth to plant the seed of ethics as it relates to the outdoors and treasured wildlife. Monkey see, monkey do. . .

Luckily, you don't get to decide my ethics. You don't like it, don't do it.

you know what I think is unethical? whipping out the tape measure as soon as the animal hits the dirt so you can see if you scored big? What a joke.

You know what else I think is unethical? Hunting elk during the rut and using a mass produced call to lure them in to point blank range. Guess what? I ain't out there telling people not to do it. I just don't participate. There would be a lot more elk out there if it were banned though.

This whole conversation is like a bunch of libtarded Obama lovers trying to decide who can come up with the next great govt program to keep the people in line.

Stonefly, I understand completely where your at. Right there with you. I've got two Green River Barreled muzzleloaders, custom made by old cannonball, of MM fame, one flinter and one percussion, hanging over my kitchen window and neither of them have been fired in 15 years. They'll be the last guns I ever part with, I'm that fond of them both. Might even have the boys tuck'em in the pine box with me. :)

Incidentally Reed from Pleasant Glove is an old friend and a rendezvous favorite of everyone from the early years. He was a old time trader of the highest degree. He was the primary supplier of all our black powder supplies in those days. In fact I still have some cans of three f and two f powder left over from trades with Reed. As I recall he bought huge amounts of black powder because he was feeding an authentic civil war cannon so his purchase price was great and he passed those saves on to us pilgrims.

Reed had a side kick by the name of Bill Watts, who sold a concoction of black powder cleaning solvent called "Watts Water - Bill's pissed in every bottle". Bill shot an original 68 caliber military issue piece that would reach out way beyond the TC Hawkins and he could lay'em in there. Oh, those were the days my friend, we missed the doings in the 1820/1830 but I'll tell you the boys made a little noise around those teepees in the 1970's just the same.

Reed's last name was Radmaul (sp) as I recall, a gentlemen and a one of the founders of the muzzleloading culture in the State of Utah. Muzzleloders throughout Utah owe a debt of gratitude to Lee Robertson, Reed Radmaul, Bill Watts, and Al Rucksaker, all gone on to the Happy Hunting Grounds now but their legacy will long be remember by those of us that are left, that know how some of this got stuff got started, some forty years ago. I will never forget any of them.

Thanks for reminding me of those great times Stonefyl, and for putting up with my weepy memories.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-14 AT 11:13PM (MST)[p]Heffe, yes every scope has a turret. Sorry I wasn't more specific for you to understand. I'm not up to par with the LR lingo so Im not sure the exact term but I was referring to the custom turret caps or speed dials whatever they are called.

>"Who's to say where it stops
>or even if it should."
>
>
>There's no doubt hunters are more
>efficient. Not just with
>rifles/optics, but all manner of
>gear.
>
>Kids are growing up with this
>stuff. It's all they'll know
>unless taught otherwise. Game populations
>will determine regulations, whether it's
>season time/length, bag limits,
>or limits on weapons or
>access. We become more efficient,
> game populations go down.
>Mule deer are especially at
>risk it seems as there
>are a host of other
>factors at work decreasing population.
>
>
>I happen to think some of
>the best regulations would be
>limiting access. Making more country
>roadless will knock out the
>riff raff considerably, even the
>1,000 yard crack shots.
>
>One thing is for sure, hunters
>as a whole will not
>back off on technology until
>it's forced.
>
>There's also the matter of the
>game we hunt being so
>highly prized as to cause
>some to stretch the limits
>ethically just to get their
>mug posted on a forum
>or in a mag. The
>popularity of trophy horns/antlers is
>at an all time high.
>
>
>It is partially up to those
>influencing youth to plant the
>seed of ethics as it
>relates to the outdoors and
>treasured wildlife. Monkey see, monkey
>do. . .

Agreed completely. Glad you put in the part about "trophy" hunting. I didn't go there because I think that is the root cause of a lot of the modern problems we face, from limited access to poaching. I REALLY agree with the last paragraph. I watch some shows, though not as many because they are more and more obnoxious. I read the posts, read the mags, look at the trophy walls in places like Sportsmans. It seems there are almost NEVER any kids in them. You see the possee, the guide, etc, but where is your sons and daughters. Why are they left home while dad is out chasing inches? What does that tell the kid, inches are more important than even my own kids. Monkey see, monkey do.

"Monkey see, monkey do"

That is how most youth learn their ethics. Not what they read, not what they are taught in hunter safety class and not even what they see on tv, but what they watch Dad, Uncle Bill or their other mentors do.

>>"Who's to say where it stops
>>or even if it should."
>>
>>
>>There's no doubt hunters are more
>>efficient. Not just with
>>rifles/optics, but all manner of
>>gear.
>>
>>Kids are growing up with this
>>stuff. It's all they'll know
>>unless taught otherwise. Game populations
>>will determine regulations, whether it's
>>season time/length, bag limits,
>>or limits on weapons or
>>access. We become more efficient,
>> game populations go down.
>>Mule deer are especially at
>>risk it seems as there
>>are a host of other
>>factors at work decreasing population.
>>
>>
>>I happen to think some of
>>the best regulations would be
>>limiting access. Making more country
>>roadless will knock out the
>>riff raff considerably, even the
>>1,000 yard crack shots.
>>
>>One thing is for sure, hunters
>>as a whole will not
>>back off on technology until
>>it's forced.
>>
>>There's also the matter of the
>>game we hunt being so
>>highly prized as to cause
>>some to stretch the limits
>>ethically just to get their
>>mug posted on a forum
>>or in a mag. The
>>popularity of trophy horns/antlers is
>>at an all time high.
>>
>>
>>It is partially up to those
>>influencing youth to plant the
>>seed of ethics as it
>>relates to the outdoors and
>>treasured wildlife. Monkey see, monkey
>>do. . .
>
>Agreed completely. Glad you put
>in the part about "trophy"
>hunting. I didn't go
>there because I think that
>is the root cause of
>a lot of the modern
>problems we face, from limited
>access to poaching. I
>REALLY agree with the last
>paragraph. I watch some
>shows, though not as many
>because they are more and
>more obnoxious. I read
>the posts, read the mags,
>look at the trophy walls
>in places like Sportsmans.
>It seems there are almost
>NEVER any kids in them.
> You see the possee,
>the guide, etc, but where
>is your sons and daughters.
> Why are they left
>home while dad is out
>chasing inches? What does
>that tell the kid, inches
>are more important than even
>my own kids. Monkey
>see, monkey do.
>
>"The only thing that stops a
>bad guy with a gun
>is a good guy with
>a gun"

BINGO!

As long as trophy hunting (especially rifle) and the money, influence and leverage that it generates is allowed to determine the rules, there will be few legal restrictions regarding equipment that would hinder trophy hunting, with safety issues being the exceptions.

This is one of the best threads that I've seen on this topic.....great points on both sides. I'm especially glad that it's a stand alone thread and not attached to someone's success story. -------SS

ETHIC'S, no two are identical but many are alike, instead of seeing the differences between them all I believe its time we stand united as Hunters, Sportsmen/women, and Conservationists and all agree that if you consider yourself a hunter, your a friend to the future of hunting and your not trying to take it away from any other group or person. We have enough ANTI-HUNTING organizations trying to do that already.

The opinion's posted here are solely the opinion of the poster and are not the opinions of this web-site its producers, sponsors and or others involved. Any rebroadcast or retransmission of this material will be punishable by constant mocking and being made fun of with out the express written consent of the above poster. Material is to lighten the mood and offer those with a sense of humor the opportunity to enjoy a good laugh all while discovering the atrocity that so many on here take themselves entirely way to seriously.

Some counter-observations per DWR reports and some Googling:

1964 Gen Archery Deer - harvest 1988 - hunters 10910 - 18.2%
1966 Compound bow invented
1969 Compound bow patented
1974 Gen Archery Deer - harvest 1367 - hunters 16218 - 8.4%
2013 Gen Archery Deer - harvest 2364 - hunters 13143 - 18.4%*
*also includes extended harvest

Archery field challenges not covered by technology:
- Clearances - in front, above, below, (snags) & behind (draw)
- Weapon not fully loaded, ready to fire - it has to be drawn
- Movement - raising bow, full arm draw
- Limited time to hold off shot - the hold after drawing is physically difficult to maintain for any length of time.
- Free hand - no rest to steady aim
- Position - no prone
- Arc of projectile - small misjudgement of range can equal miss
- Speed of projectile - at 20+ yards the sound of release gets to animal before arrow
- Complete reload for second/third shot

Thanks, Avsman. It makes no sense to legally limit hunters or hunting that poses no safety hazard just for the sake of "fairness".

DWR is gonna limit all the Long Range Bangers to just a one day Hunt!

It'll be the Last day of whatever season you're Huntin!

Get your Flat Brims Ready!

Definition of long range shot: Hunters can stand in open, walk around and talk out loud while the targeted animal has no clue they are there.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-14 AT 10:08AM (MST)[p]Whats wrong with becoming more efficient at killing? I'd wager a steak dinner that many hunters couldn't hit a milk jug at 300 yards whether they had a 7k custom or a factory rifle. Lets be grateful not everyone is a master marksman.It saves a lot of animals lives.Consequently, their are some wounded animals as well.

I have hunted with a lot of poor shots in my hunting career. One guy pulled out a pocket full of cartridges the night before the hunt. I said, "let me see those". Turns out he had a couple armor piercing bullets and a mixture of different grain bullets that I'd guess were 30 years old. I have had friends decide to check their zero after opening morning only to find out they couldn't even hit the target. Same guy pulls out another rifle. Same problem with that rifle....won hit the target.

We got a lot bigger problems than advancements in technology.We need hunters who can efficiently kill game, not wound them. We need hunters who are responsible enough to know what their limitations are.

Primitive weapon hunts are not the only solution for increasing ungulate populations. If you want more animals you have to kill fewer animals, which means you have to issue fewer tags overall. That's where sound management starts. With that said, I'm certainly in favor of more primitive tags and fewer rifle tags.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-14
>AT 10:08?AM (MST)

>
>Whats wrong with becoming more efficient
>at killing? I'd wager a
>steak dinner that many hunters
>couldn't hit a milk jug
>at 300 yards whether they
>had a 7k custom or
>a factory rifle. Lets be
>grateful not everyone is a
>master marksman.It saves a lot
>of animals lives.Consequently, their are
>some wounded animals as well.
>
>
>I have hunted with a lot
>of poor shots in my
>hunting career. One guy pulled
>out a pocket full of
>cartridges the night before the
>hunt. I said, "let me
>see those". Turns out he
>had a couple armor piercing
>bullets and a mixture of
>different grain bullets that I'd
>guess were 30 years old.
>I have had friends decide
>to check their zero after
>opening morning only to find
>out they couldn't even hit
>the target. Same guy pulls
>out another rifle. Same problem
>with that rifle....won hit the
>target.
>
>We got a lot bigger problems
>than advancements in technology.We need
>hunters who can efficiently kill
>game, not wound them. We
>need hunters who are responsible
>enough to know what their
>limitations are.
>
>Primitive weapon hunts are not the
>only solution for increasing ungulate
>populations. If you want more
>animals you have to kill
>fewer animals, which means you
>have to issue fewer tags
>overall. That's where sound management
>starts. With that said, I'm
>certainly in favor of more
>primitive tags and fewer rifle
>tags.

First buck I see pregnant I will join SFW. You are right we need more deer. We DON'T necessarily need fewer hunters. If that was the case than the entire golden age of mule deer,1960 through mid 80's would have had less hunters than we do now, and we both know that wasn't true. We need about 300,000 dollar spending, vote casting, equipment buying orange clad dudes. Because we allowed "trophy hunting" and trophy hunting special interest groups to weed out 2/3 s of us we lost our clout, lost our power with the state, and lost our importance. The special interest groups didn't loose anything, in fact they gain access, gained season lengths, don't worry about draw length, deer numbers, etc. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and Denny, THE DON and dudes like DOYLE are the squeakiest. Buck to doe ratio is the biggest B.S. job ever, it is truly meaningless, yet it is the narrative because somehow the general hunting public, after decades of crap from SFW and the like, believes that every buck in the forest can be a 30" 4x4, and if they are not, we should give up more tags(to them usually), limit ourselves even more, all the while the "trophy" hunters enjoy the spoils of their B.S.. Yeah, nothing to do with the OP, just can't believe how damn gulable(spelling) WE have become to the point that we spew SFW's talking points now, yet we never seem to notice the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they claim going their route has given us. When are the expo, welfare tags, and CWMU's giving up tags? When they do, I will!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom