lookin to get a new arrow slinger - thoughts?

Bombardeer

I bought a Bear Encounter this past February as a astarter bow, figured I'd give archery a run and see if I would like shooting. Turns out I like it a lot so I'm thinking of upgrading to a better bow.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'5") with a 31.5 to 32 inch draw (depends on the bow), so I need a long draw bow. I'm currently juggling between the Bear Anarchy and the PSE Freak.

I hear nothing but great reviews on the Anarchy, and I've had the pleasure of shooting one at Sportsman's - Silky smooth draw and whispers on the release.

Net reviews on the freak are minimal, but I hear nothing but praise on the EVO cams. Plus, the Freak comes in an #80 draw weight (which I know I would have no issue pulling) and a 38 inch ATA....so it should absolutely zip arrows.

Just wondering what your guyz thoughts were, and if anyone by chance has any further info on the Freak?

Thanks,

Lots of good quality bows out there. PSE is in the top three IMO.
Since your such a big guy you msy have a more limited selection of various brands but you can never go wrong with a PSE they make a quality product. You really can't choose a bow by anyones comments or reports. You need to find an archery shop with the bows you are considering and then go shoot the bows. That is the only way you will really know if the bow can be adjusted to fit you. Stay away from the big box stores that carry archery equipment if possible. Try and find a shop that deals specificaaly in archery equipment and is a PSE dealer. They know their bows inside and out and can help you get into a quality bow withing your price range.

Good Shoot"n

))))-------->

Thanks for the response. And you are absolutely right, choices are better made if you can test drive it first. There is a pro shop here in town (Reno), but the guy doesn't carry the freak, and the cabelas and sportsmans here in town dont carry the pro line series. So, I'm not so sure I would get a chance to shoot the freak unless I took a trip out of town. And I may just do that....

Thanks again!

This would be my top five bow company's and what bow i would get
1. Hoyt-Carbon Element,(Have a 2011 Hoyt CRX 35
2. Matthews- Helium or Z7
3.Elite-Pulse- This probably will be the next bow i buy i drew one back at 70lbs and it felt like 35lbs and one of the smoothest draw cycles, the only thing that i didn't like was it had some vibration in the grip.
4.Bow Tech, Insanity or Destroyer
5. PSE, Omen

I have not yet shot the Freak but I do like the Supra! its only one inch shorter ata so i imagine that have a lot of the same feel. that would be quite the bow to see you shoot if you got it in an #80 Limb!

+1 to the above.
you'll Evidently have to go and shoot a few different bows yourself! let us know what you picked!

Try the Bowtech Insanity XL.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

80lbs... wow. I remember those days. The problem for me would be for the arrow set ups I shoot now I wouldn't be able to find an arrow stiff enough. But then again someone out there probably makes a 200 spined arrow?

So I shot the Bear Anarchy again this past weekend, and I can't say enough about the smoothness of the draw and the minimal vibration upon release...only problem is that the max 31.5 inch draw is just smidgen too short... might be able to make it work with a few adjustments - maybe a longer D-loop.

For the hell of it, they guy had me shoot the PSE Evo, which maxes out at 31 inches (too short for me), but just to get a feel for the evo cams, as they are also equipped on the Freak. I'm very impressed with the Evo as they are silky smooth. 70# felt effortless.

Just want to get my hands on the freak to see how she rides....think I'm gonna take a trip over to a pro shop in Hippie-land (California) to try one out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom