looking for a new rifle

nmhunter88

OK looking for a new rifle to put the new scoope I got for X mas. Got a Nikon 3x9 with the BDC reticle. Was thinking about a 25-06 but not 100% sure. Already have a 243, 270, 30-06,7MM. Looking to use it any where from yotes to elk.

I would rule out the 25-06 for two reasons. It is a little light for elk and you already have it's kissing cousin in the 270 caliber. Before you 25-06 fans jump my butt, the 25-06 is my favorite deer and antelope caliber. Been using it for 25 years and it carries a Nikon Monarch 3X9 scope.
If recoil is not a problem, you might think about looking into one of the 30 cal mags. Great for elk but big overkill for yotes. Use the 243 or 270 for the song dogs.

RELH

+1 with RELH
I have a 25-06 and love it for deer sized game and smaller with the 117gr hornady, but gave it up for elk when i lost a bull with it.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Why not buy a 22-250? looks like you have an elk gun or 3. The 22-250 is hands down the best varmint gun.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

+1 I have the .22-250 and it's the funnest gun to shoot. I have the .30-.06 for the big stuff. Nothing is funner to shoot than a .22-250...or get a .223 AR15. The guns you have are just fine.

Go with the 25-06. I have all the calibers you do, and the only one I use is the 25-06. Seems to be awesome for long range dogs, deer, cows, spikes, and small bulls. I like to use my .300 win mag for trophy bulls.

25-06 is my favorite cartridge, hands down.

DeerBeDead

Well thanks for the all that gave their input. I still got a couple of weeks to decide which way I am headed but still think the 25-06 is on top of the list. Just think I can get more done with that gun. Dont plan on hunting bulls with it maybe a cow hunt. Think its a better choice for the area we hunt deer in. Long shots are common so I want a gun that can shot a long distince.

I am having a hard time understanding your reasoning on selecting the 25-06 when you already have a 270, 30-06, and 7mm.
The 270 can do what the 25-06 does with 130 gr. bullets, and with 140 gr. will be better for larger game like Elk.
The 30-06 is a great deer and elk caliber using 150 gr. to 200 gr. bullets.
If you are more leaning towards a varmint-coyote gun, I would think you should look at a 22-250 or 223 cal.
That way you would have a battery of calibers that would do from prairre dogs to elk.
As for long shots, I have made 6-7 one shot kills on lopes and deer from 400 to 600 yards with a 25-06. There are a lot of 270 users on here that will tell you that the 270 is also very famous for long range shooting for a standard caliber. Heck the 30-06 is no slouch either for long range shooting.

RELH

Well RELH gues the biggest reason why is cuz not the caliber of the rifle but cuz of the scope. It has the BBC reticle on it an will allow me to shoot 500 to 600 yards without the guess work. Just got to put the rangefinder on them and I know where to hold the gun. I just wanted to see if there was an other caliber in that same range as the 25_06 that I might be over looking that will allow me to hunt anything from yotes to elk. I will only use it on elk for cow hunts and wont be shooting long distances. Nothing over 200 yards with that gun for elk. So that my reasoning behind the 25-06 but like I said still doing research and still open to ideas.

You could put the BDC scope on your 270. Sell that scope and put the money towards a vermin rifle setup.

How about a 204 Ruger for prairie dogs, whistle pigs, etc.? Light recoil to see the hits.

Your 243 with light V-Maxs will work wonders on coyotes, but not be too pelt friendly. Sometimes a 22-250 blows giant holes also.

WetlandsWinterSignature.jpg

Myself, i love the 25-06. With the lighter bullets you have a screamer of a varmint cartridge and with the 100 thru 120 grain stuff, you have a most awesome deer rifle out to 4-450 yds max.

Because of the barrel twist, bullet weights, whatever, this chamberings available ammunition doesn't generally provide the 1000 FPE, that has been set as a standard minimum retained energy, to cleanly take deer at near 500yds or beyond. For deer sized game, you're plenty good out to 400yds, not much further but that is usually plenty in most instances.

With a 25-06 in the house, i'd put the 243 in the closet or safe and forget about it. If i could only own 4 guns, a 25-06 would be one of them. :)

Joey

With the calibers you already have why would you want something that works from coyotes to elk? The 270, 30-06, and 7MM already do that? Your first choice of a 25.06 sounds good but it's too light for elk or big deer in my opinion but the 7MM is perfect.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom