lost any bones off your pack this year?

berto

Very Active Member
i lost a muley shed i had tied to the outside of my pack on my first day out this year. the shed was in a bundle with several others, and it was the second side to a matched set.

guess i better learn to lash them on better. i don't like leaving anything behind for the next guy to find ;-)

just a heads up to everyone: tie those bones on well or you'll be unpleasantly surprised when you get back to your truck!

Last year I lost 2 from one trip. I noticed they were gone probably about a mile too late. I back tracked a little ways then said forget it. They shouldnt be too hard to find since they were white already. Those are really the only ones that I have lost...I make sure mine dont budge before I start walking and I make sure to check them every now and then.
YB

I've lost 3 already so far this year. The good news is it was only two 2pts and a spiker. They all fell out of my back pocket. Same story each time. Found a small one and put it in my back pocket. Walked a while then reached down and nothing! You'd think I would learn after the first two! :)

NvrEnuf

NvrEnuf,

Here I thought you were dropping them on the ground so my sorry butt could find a shed or two. Pretty sad when you are out shed hunting together and all you find is what your buddy drops out of his pants. (shed antlers that is)

You need to give me a 5 minute head start so I can find a few more. Your eagle eye can see the dust from a mouse fart at a mile away.

I don't know if anyone else has been amazed at how far off an antler has been spotted by themselves or their buddy. Then again, there are always those long, accross the canyon spot, that just turn out to be a stick, sage brush, or some other formation that looked like a shed antler.

I can't remember ever loosing sheds off my pack, but I'm
sure it's happened. One time while chuker hunting I picked up
a really nice brown 4 point shed, packed it all day and when
I got back to the truck I set it down to eat some lunch and
I ended up driving off without it.

NVMDF

my own post reminded me of a time a few years ago when i was rifle hunting muleys with my dad. we were hunting in 6 or 8 inches of fresh snow on a divide and were about 3 miles from the truck when we spotted a nice buck bedded in the timber below us, just over the divide. i decided the buck was good enough and pulled the trigger. dang buck got up and ran straight for the bottom, into the drainage that was headed AWAY from the truck. we pursued and i finished him off as he started up the far side of the drainage. dragged him back to the bottom and started slicing and dicing. packed him all the way to the truck before my dad realized he had laid down his swiss army knife while slicing and dicing and forgot to pick it up.

now, you and i would say, oh well, there went a perfectly good knife and head to the store for a new one. not my dad. he waited for the snow to melt the next spring and headed in there to find it. on his way in he picked up a REALLY nice 4-pt shed and tied it to his pack. he located the spot where we had deboned the deer and, believe it or not, found his knife. he headed back out and got to the truck, only to find that somewhere along the way the shed had come untied from his pack. he still talks about how good he felt when he found his knife, and how frustrated he was when he found out he'd lost that shed. :)

This is why you should concentrate on elk antlers, youll always notice when your load lightens by a 15 pound bomber ;)

Ive had this happen too. Two years ago i went for a horse ride on the hill by the house and picked up a real nice set of whitetail sheds and tied them on back. When i got back they were gone, I tried to retrace my path but never did find them. Youd think my good for nothing "horn"dog would have let me know they fell.

My dad found a small elk horn so small that he pute it in his back pocket and it fell out along the trail and 2 years later i went up with him and fond it laing along the trail.

Non-Typ, you crack me up with your mouse fart jokes! Man, if you think I'm a horn spottin fool you outta go out with old NVMDF one of these days. Now he's a horn finding sun of a gun! I think he had me whooped about 14 horns to nothing to start of the last trip. He finds so many horns so fast it's almost like he's already been in the area and found located everything in advance. Then later he takes you in and shows you how fast he can run around and pick them all up! :) I couldn't even run as fast as he was walking. Maybe it had something to do with me having to pack all of HIS horns around! LOL! He "ACCIDENTALLY" forgot to put on his backpack so I offered to pack his horns around. If I'd a known how many he planned on picking up I would have just offered to hike clear back to the truck and get his backpack for him!

I seem to recall a time or two when you have spotted horns that where not meant to be found. One time from well over 1000yds. It took you 5 minutes to explain to me where the thing was laying. Granted it was a freaking HUMONGUS 5pt but still that's a long ways away!

NvrEnuf

NvrEnuf,
I just had the eye that day, as I said before, I was
unsure how we would do so I left my pack at the truck,
but your right, I was only moving faster than you because
you had 50 pounds of bone on your back, Thanks for carting
all my sheds that day, I'd say that's worth the brown 4
point to complete your set. Man what a day!!

NVMDF

NVMDF,

I'm planning on bringing your lunch and packing all your sheds for the rest of the year. I really appreciate you being kind enough to let me know you found the match to the heavy 4pt brown I picked up a couple weeks ago. Not many guys would have been willing to give up that horn. Not to mention sending it to me in the mail! You're a STUD! Thanks a bunch for being so thoughtful! I owe you one BIG TIME now!

May the shed gods smile on you for the rest of the year! :)

NvrEnuf

NvrEnuf,
Don't let everyone know how thoughtful and kind you think I am.
Just the sight of my face and the sound of my voice has been
known to start a couple bar room brawls. If my wife reads this I'll be in big trouble. she will be wondering what sort of gifts
I have stashed away for her. LOL, It's in the mail today.

Shon

Nvrenuf,
come to think of it you almost lost the first brown 4 pt.
I picked up from your pack that day, next time I'll pack
my own.

NVMDF

I had just found a real nice brown 4 point mule deer horn and then picked up a set of elk on the same hill. I stopped to tie the elk horns on to my pack frame and walked off and left the deer horn on the hill. I didn't realize it until i found another elk horn on the next ridge over which then it was to far to go back. i went back the next year and picked it up but it had layed out for a year.

bigole5

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom