MASSive W. TX 10 Point

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
Here is the story of the best buck I've ever killed, this past Friday.

When we got to my inlaws' ranch on Tues, I had a chance to run over to a portion of the property that hasn't been hunted in years and do some glassing of the winter wheat field to see what was coming out in the evenings. I saw lots of deer including a few shooters and this deer that I eventually killed the morning after Thanksgiving. I came back to the house and told everyone I'd seen the biggest buck I'd ever seen in person at about 450 yds. I made a plan based on that scouting and snuck to a tree that I thought would be about 200 yds from where I saw him but still give me a shot at a large portion of the field. At the start of first light, I could see a good buck on the edge of the field but he left the field before shooting light. 15-20 mins later, a big buck walks back into the field in the same area. It took what felt like forever before I could get a good enough look at him to determine if he was a shooter or not. Eventually it was obvious he was and I got into a comfortable position to get a good solid rest on my shooting sticks for the 210 yd shot. I took some extra time to calm myself down and then squeezed off the shot. Watching the buck leave the field, I felt like the shot was good and it appeared that he was acting hit. After a 10 min wait, I quietly walked down to look for blood and after an hr, still hadn't found a drop. I was really starting to doubt my shot and decided to drop some of the heavy clothes as I was getting hot and then start a search pattern in the direction he ran. After hanging all the extra clothes on a fence, I turned around to start looking and there he was, 20 yds from me, stuck in a tree. I could not believe it. I had walked within 10 yds of him 4 times searching the gravel road I knew he had crossed for blood. I then realized he was bigger than I originally thought. I feel so blessed to have inlaws that allow me to hunt a place like this. I still can't believe it happened. I put a tape to him yesterday and rough scored him at 148 4/8 gross with 40" of mass. I can't wait to see him on my wall in the future. I'm working on getting pics posted and should have them up shortly...

Damn fine buck!
It's always nice to have a place to hunt. Don't burn any bridges!
Zeke

Congrats on a great whitey! What county are you hunting? Must have a some good rains in your area this year to produce that kind of mass!

Howard county TX. The crazy thing is that that area didn't have a ton of rain this year early enough to affect antler development. I got very lucky as the normal really good buck from that county is in the 130 range. It may be a while before I kill a bigger deer on that ranch if ever!

He is a bruiser, great mass on him.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom