Max Points Non-Res Elk Hunt Info sought

Jeffpg

Hey fellas, I am holding 8 points going into the 2014 draw and I'm ready to go hunting for a big bull.

I prefer to rifle hunt but I can do any weapon and don't mind hiring an outfitter if needed.

My focus is on having a great hunt for a trophy bull elk.

Thanks for your input,
Jeff

Hey Jeff! I think if you would just scroll down through the threads on this Forum for the last couple months you'll see units and outfitters that guys have recommended if you have a lot of PPs like you do. If you have the stash to go to a place like Wagonhound in unit 7 or a number of other places that are on this website, then that should increase your chances of tagging a good bull. Good luck!

I would look at the late hunts in the NW corner of the state if I had my points back. nothing else.

Stay thirsty my friends

I am a resident and if I had one elk tag I would take area 58...... Heck I would give up 5 years of elk hunting for that one tag...

>I am a resident and if
>I had one elk tag
>I would take area 58......
>Heck I would give up
>5 years of elk hunting
>for that one tag...

***There you go Jeff. That's right from a resident member that's in the know on elk hunting in Wyoming. I'd take his advice and not look back!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. My only hunting experience in Wyoming was for antelope last year, so I'm going in blind for elk. Of course, having applied for years I do try to learn something each year that may help me choose the best unit for a trophy bull.

Unit 58 was my top choice last year and for this year I had narrowed it down to 56, 58 & 59. How do you think these units compare?

I know 56 came back with the late season hunt last year. only 10 tags were issued. Lot of good areas on the North Fork but in your case you will need a guide. Area 55 was general and got cut down to only 50 tags but I think non-residents still get their full amount of tags to help the outfitters... 56 is a tough unit. Those elk move so fast in those areas and the best way to hunt is horses.

>Well, I now have 9 elk
>points in Wyoming, lol.

***So what did you end up putting in for and not drawing with your max PPs?

I took the advice of you knowledgable guys and chose the same unit that I applied for last year. I'd love to have drawn the hunt, but I'm also good with retaining my max points for the future. I want the best quality hunt that I can get for my points and I'll draw it eventually I believe.

Thanks again fellows,
Jeff

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom