Mearns Quail in Arizona

huntzall

Im a Utah boy and have always wanted to hunt Mearns. Is anybody willing to point me in the right direction. I have hunted quail on the San Carlos Indian reservation but that's about it

Good luck getting a good spot. I lived/hunted Arizona for eight years. People guard their mearns and scalies grounds like the holy land.

I'm sure there are plenty of honey spots out there, I never found a consistent producer. I will recommend the book, "Wingshooter's Guide to Arizona Upland Birds and Waterfowl". Beyond that, I can only tell you where not to go.

+1 DryFlyGuy!!! LOL

But check-out SE Arizona! Grass & oak canyons in the National Forest and/or other public ground around Sonoita/Pagagonia for starters...

Scottyboy or Doug might have some advice... ;-)

S.

:)

I'm friends with a professional guide out of tuscon who might have some openings if u want. His dogs are top notch!

I went out on the opening weekend for a couple days. I am going back next weekend. This year doenst seem to be as good as past years but I saw on another website that Scottyboy really got into them. You want to go South of Patagonia. Also try East of Pena Blanca Lake. The closer to the border the better really. Pick wide washes to hunt and walk the edges. Hopefully you have dogs becasue these birds will let you walk right past them. They hold very tight. If you want to hunt them you should really go with someone that hunts them regularly. A lot of out of state hunters come to Sonoita and Patagonia and never jump a bird. They have to be one of the most difficult game birds to hunt. You could write a book about finding these elusive bastards.

If you do not have a pointer, I would not consider hunting mearns. If yo do not have dogs, considering a guide would be a good option.

The AZGFD website gives some possible areas in their unit descriptions. Look at units 34A, 35B, 36B.
http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_34a.shtml

Generally, I hunt the base or 1/3 way up the slopes in oak lined grassy draws. Look under the oaks for fresh scratchings.

Some say to look at popular Hog Canyon NE of Sonoita to see what good mearns habitat is, and then hunt other areas that look similar. Look for about 50% oak coverage. Key on north-facing slopes.

InnerBasinPano2-copy.jpg

If you do get lucky and bump a covey please exercise some restraint. A good dog and a half way decent shot can eradicate a mearns covey in no time. Take a small bore and light loads. Your shots will likely be close. "Pheasant loads" just tear up a mearns quail.

Spot we go to a lot with GREAT success.... south of Wilcox on Hwy 181 in a place called Rucker Canyon. After you hit the public land on Rucker road go about 2 miles (before the first campground) especially on the north side of the road. Full of quail and a dog isnt necessary. Most people we see there are border patrol

This season seems to be ALOT drier than in other years, but the birds seemed to have scratched out a decent hatch. Nothing to write home about though. I've seen WAY better years.
We had a decent opener and hit three diff areas over the first 3 days. Best day was the third day with 9 coveys found by the pups.

As others have mentioned, do all of us a favor and take a bird or 2 out of a covey and move on. They're all too easy to wipe out entirely. Small coveys that won't fly far and pitch back into the grass. The gentle draws get wiped out EARLY every year.

I'm headed out in the morning with the intent of taking all three species.. An AZ slam morning. I'll let ya know ho we do.

Took a handful of pics on the opener, but haven't downloaded them onto the laptop quite yet. Here's a few for ya from last season.

DSC02903edited.jpg

Picture127.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

Picture122.jpg

Picture140.jpg

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-09 AT 10:48PM (MST)[p]Good lookin pointer Scotty. That crack tail could sell a few pups!

I see you guys really like to give the bird a fair chance, shooting with the wrong arm and all. ;-)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-09 AT 10:59PM (MST)[p]LOL!! Gotta give'em a chance somehow!! Firstcoues took that pic late last season of me on our 11th or so covey of the day.. It was my limit bird for that day.

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

Thanks guys for the info. I have a Drathaar and an English pointer. I never take more then a few birds per covey. We have similar problems with people wiping out chuckar coveys in Utah. Do Scaled quai hang out in the same area as Mearns?

Look for blues out in the classic Chihuahuan desert habitat.. Grass plains dotted with soapstone yucca.. Elevation usually runs in the 3K to 4500 tops.. Think NM pronhorn country.. long horizons with short grass to the ends of it..

Looks for Mearns in the oak country in southern AZ, NM that starts at the 5K and runs up to the 6500-7K mark.. Ive seen Mearns at over 8K out here in the pines.. But the majority will be at the 5500 range. 25% oak coverstory is the bare minimum to look for.. Rough draws and shady sides with deep, ungrazed grass.

While you won't find them together, you can find them in the same general areas.. especially where the sky islands meet the desert. In a few rare locales, you can get them all on one walk with a bit of boot leather burnt.. The San Carlos is a good area from this, if ya know where to go!!

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

Still looking for some info or places to go. I would be willing to help with some Utah info or maybe some Snowcock info for a succesful hunt

I can get ya lined out on a few spots that'll produce some birds providing your pups can keep their end of the deal and find 'em. There's plenty of them if ya know where to look.

Chukar in the hills and maybe a ruffie and blue in the UT highcountry sounds fun!

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

You tell me when and your on!!! Those birds wont be a problem. Maybe we could add in some sharptails and sage grouse to boot. If you ever make it up I'll take you after what ever you want.

Or this close.
4b3255b12a11b38f.jpg

Found quite a few South of Pena Blanca Lake about two mile from Mexico.

A few Christmas weekend birds.. The weather smiled upon us this weekend. It was perfect for quail hunting.

Got a single on LOCKDOWN..
DSC03096.jpg

a couple of mature males from a nice double from the Dakota 20ga..
DSC03102.jpg

a fresh covey..
DSC03111.jpg

"take your time Pop, I've got 'em pinned down for as long as need be.."
DSC03115.jpg

a couple more nice males for the bag..
DSC03106.jpg

shoulda had a limit, but I crippled one and counted him as taken..
DSC03117.jpg

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

Huntzall, PM me and we'll get you lined out for a hunt down this way sometime soon..

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

I am curious if you guys could do me a favor. My wife makes jewelry with my pheasant, chucker, quail, etc. feathers. Would it be possible for one of you guys to pluck some of those males and send the feathers? They have some beautiful feathers that would be great for that stuff and she would de very happy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom