Meat hunt - Leftover Cow tags

Kentuck

A couple of friends and I are looking at possibly going to Wyoming this year on a leftover cow tag hunt. Pretty much just looking to get some meat since all of our other options didn't pan out. Can this be a good hunt? One of my friends has never killed an elk. Thanks!

Cow hunts can be very good and there are plenty of tags in a lot of good areas when they go on sale 7/17. A lot of the units have long dates well into November and December after everything else closes and there is little pressure on them. I'd find one of those units with decent public land, prepare for possible weather problems, and go after the bull seasons are done.

Sounds like my friend wants to look at the Cody area. Possibly unit 61. Looking at maybe even some doe tags since they are so cheap.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-14 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]I've hunted 61 for cow elk twice. Both times a buddy and I each killed elk.

Its not an easy meat hunt. The elk we killed in late December were living between 9-10K feet. We started hiking at 3:30 AM both times to beat the horse crowd up the hill.

The elk are usually in bigger herds, both times we shot them out of 150-200 or so. They live in pretty open country for the most part, so if you go I'd have a rifle that you could shoot 300-400 yards. Be prepared to gain 1500-2500+ feet in elevation to get at them. Its a steep S.O.B.

Walk the finger ridges and avoid the draws, as the wind blows like a bastard and keeps the ridges mostly free of snow. Both times I was there the temperatures were 10-15 below zero. Wind chill was much colder.

If you put the effort in, you'll fill tags, but you'll earn it.

I believe there around 700 left over cow tags for area 61. The Pitchfork Ranch is a HMA area(Hunter Management Area) in area 61. You can get the permits on the Wyoming Game and Fish website in mid July. Its just a permission to hunt on the Pitchfork. A lot of folks hunt there as well as up Pickett Creek. Around November the elk group up into big groups. If it snows the snow usually pushes them down to the lower country. I have lived in the Meeteetse area that last 7 years and there a lot of elk up there. The tag goes clear till almost the end of December I believe. Just make sure to check a map to know where you are hunting and that you are not on private land.

>I believe there around 700 left
>over cow tags for area
>61. The Pitchfork Ranch is
>a HMA area(Hunter Management Area)
>in area 61. You can
>get the permits on the
>Wyoming Game and Fish website
>in mid July. Its just
>a permission to hunt on
>the Pitchfork. A lot of
>folks hunt there as well
>as up Pickett Creek. Around
>November the elk group up
>into big groups. If it
>snows the snow usually pushes
>them down to the lower
>country. I have lived in
>the Meeteetse area that last
>7 years and there a
>lot of elk up there.
>The tag goes clear till
>almost the end of December
>I believe. Just make sure
>to check a map to
>know where you are hunting
>and that you are not
>on private land.

Nice post. Glad to see some help being given. Hunted the Sleeper ranch several years ago near Meeteetse. Good fishing in the river there also.

Well we got our tags for 61. Looking forward to it. Talking about the the first part of November. We got some deer tags in a nearby unit so the meat wagon will hopefully be full! Would it be worth getting a wolf tag? Willing to help with that issue.

Well we did our hunt. Frustrating hunt. I have never seen so many elk. That was not the problem, the problem was either getting to them or having them on the right side of the fence. Really enjoyed our time there. Made some mistakes but learned more for next time. Coldest was -24 and snow was about 16 inches where we hunted. We ended up with two elk for seven hunters. Thankfully we got some 124 doe tags and got hooked up on a ranch that was loaded with deer.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom