Meatshoots anyone participate?

John_The_Bastard

I have used my turkey gun thru the years and would win a match or two. Now here it takes a custom gun to be "in there". I bought one and am learning. Practicing-learning the other day I brush cleaned the barrel and choke after 4 shots and the pattern tightened very noticeably. Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments. The tighter the pattern the more chances that a single shot will hit exactly center on the X. I already for years have known that one or two budlights increase your odds of success!
Thanks
J_T_B

JtB, I've shot a few events for different meats from time to time so interested but i'm not sure of the game you plan to play? Rifle, shotgun, offhand or bench, what distance, just the one shot, caliber restrictions?

I always liked my chances against most but if Jagerdad showed up, i then had to get lucky.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

No experience with meatshoots but........"I already for years have known that one or two budlights increase your odds of success!"

That's true for me with golf. Relax and hit the ball farther and straighter.

During the winter here from January thru march you can find a shoot somewhere. 12 gauge shotguns, 18 yards 36 inch barrel or shorter, 670 or more open. You shoot a white card about 4 inches square. It has a 1 inch circle in the middle with an x thru it. The closest single pellet from a number 9 shell wins. If you blow out the x you are disqualified from the win. You would think a good turkey choke would do well but they do not. My best performing tube gets tighter in steps. Many of the match guns are medium high dollar customs....Maybe up to $2500 or so. My next shoot is week after next and I hope to stand my own with an old Marlin (I believe) bolt action with machinist built choke tube. I poneyed up $450. for the old girl!
J_T_B

Eel wants to play, says he can get over 3 oz of 9 shot in a AA hull. ;-)

JtB, sounds like fun but maybe too dependent on luck to see who wins, no? Good luck with that ol gal Marlin, hope you do well!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

You cannot use your own loads. It is fun. It is usually a fund raiser and a chance to get together and talk ##### and get just a bit buzzed and combine our love for guns, shooting, and family and have a good time. It is carefully controlled to be safe and the spirit of competition and a love for the ways of hunters and shooters makes for us all going home feeling with the belief that there is a way and a path for us to to follow. It is a confirmation for our religious beliefs! Do good ,,,, be good, things will be alright. Shoot straight and be decent! The path is not all that narrow!
J_T_B

I used to go to these almost 40 years ago, they were a big thing in my area back then, even had some indoors.

The ones I went to weren't fund raisers for the church, it was usually the bar owner having them.

Custom guns weren't a big thing back then but some people had better stock guns than others.

They were a lot of fun but I'm not sure they have them anymore.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom