MONROE ELK HUNT

10 p.m. and not a thing. I hope this is a sign of what we all want. The delay from live til post is brutal. Hope your packin him out now, bud. Best of luck. Let us know as soon as you can. Were dyin.

Maybe he is eating a good elk steak before typing tonight or re-scoring the spider bull once again and is in total shock.
Lets hope so......

RE: Ten down, two to go......

Today was a strange day. We figured that we'd be into a ton of excitement with the bulls this morning, but it was eerily quiet where we hunted. We went back to the spot where we encountered the herd that bedded down in front of me two days ago, and it was almost silent in there. Of course, we hardly heard a peep in there then, either; but we did encounter good numbers of elk. It started out looking like it was going to be THE morning, as we saw a small herd with a decent bull about 10 minutes after leaving the pickup. They were too far away to play with, so we noted which patch of timber they were heading in to, in case we needed to visit them later. Just a few minutes later, we herd a bugle right from the area we were heading to. We were about 125 yards from the trail where we were going to enter the trees, when out walks this 6 pt. bull, he might have scored 300, tops. At this point, he was in trouble if he came in, but try as we might we couldn't interest him. We tried cow calling, bugling, showing him flat cow, just about anything we coulld think of, and he just kept walking toward the next hill and disappeared. My best guess is that he got his butt whipped last night, and didn't want anything to do with any other elk for a while. A littlw while later, we called in another spike, to about 15 yards this time. He got a bit spooked and ran off, so we just called him in again for fun. The worst thing about the morning was that the wind was constantly swirling. Just about the time you'd think it was settling down, it would switch again and we just had not way to keep our scent limited to one direction. We kept working it, as it is getting late in this season, but all we managed to do was bump an elk at about 10 yards in some really thick stuff. So thick, we never saw the elk, just heard him crashing away from the other side of some trees I was entering. At this point, we'd climbed over approximately 10,000 blowdowns in there ( or so it seemed) and we headed back to the truck.

We took a bit of time to dry out some of our gear and I practiced my shooting for a while. I'm pretty much wearing out my 'block' target with broadheads on this trip. I've been trying to shoot 1 to 2 dozen arrows each day, whenever we get back to camp for lunch and camp chores.

We needed some more gas, so we headed down to Koosharem at noon to top off the tank and then we headed back to the tank I've been sitting on the last three evenings. I've had nice bulls come in to the tank each of the previous three evenings, but just didn't have 'the one' within range on any evening. Yesterday, I moved to a stand location that is closer to the tank, as I was previously sitting on a heavily used trail but all the elk were coming in from a different direction. You can guess where this is headed now. As soon as I moved my stand location, a nice bull, probably 330 class, led a group of cows in from exactly where I'd been on stand the previous two days. If I were there, he would have been less than a 30 yard shot. As it is, he's still out there somewhere.

I sat on that tank from 2:00 till dark, and for the first time in four days, no elk came in, though we did hear several bulls bugling up above the tank just about the time you couldn't see to shoot any longer. On the way back to the truck we could hear two bulls fighting. As we got within 100 yards of the truck, we were just able to make them out, they were fighting about 75 yards from the pickup, out in a meadow. Perhaps we should have been on stand in the front seat tonight? It certainly would have been more pleasant, as I just about froze out there tonight. We had a strong wind for nearly the entire 6+ hours that I sat on that tank, along with some thundershowers, so it wasn't real pleasant this evening. We couldn't wait to get in the truck and turn the heater on tonight.

Tomorrow, we plan to spend the entire day over where I've been tank sitting. There seem to be more bulls over there than anyplace else we've been, and they seem to be rutting more actively, so the rest of our time will probably be spent there.

I do want to note that I don't have the ability to include pictures, or I'd be posting some. I never expected this thread to become what it has, or I'd have brought a USB cable to download some photos I've taken on this hunt. I'll definitely post some pictures when I return home.

As for the laundromat, don't worry; we have plenty of clothes, we just needed some that were clean and scent free. I can only imagine what some of the people vacationing up here must think when they pass us, and I'm holding a bath towel out the window while driving 20 mph.

It's all been good, regardless of how this tale eventually ends. Gotta run off to bed now, we're getting up at 4:00.

Knock one down! Best of luck!

Drum

dan-henderson_wanderlei-silva.gif

thanks for the update Dan, best of luck tomarrow!!! make us proud!!your time will come..........

Thanks for the update nut.
We are all pulling for you here at MM.
This has been one of the most enjoyable post I have ever read.

Now I really have to go to bed, as I'm getting in trouble with Nick (not really). I was sending a couple emails out, to my wife and some related to work, and there have been a couple bulls bugling near camp. I decided to play with them, so I've been answering them back and forth. Nick says if one of them comes in to camp and stomps the tent, I'm in deep 'you know what'.

elknut, do you sell any of your photos? Can you send me a PM? You have one I'd like to print for my home office.

You have some great stuff.

Hang in there Dan, it will happen. I hope the big one comes in for you. But big or small or no bull at all, you've had one hell of a ride, and so many memories to store in your mind and heart. Keep your spirits up. Mark.

Dan, It is killing me that I am now in Kali and you are up in my backyard still hunting elk! I am glad that you are getting some action! I hope you get a good one!!!

If not, I will try and go kill it with my uncle on the Muzzy hunt. Keep us all up to date!!!

Sounds like things are heating up on the mountian. The next two days should be great and action filled. Thanks again for taking us along on your hunt and keeping us updated. This has been great. We are all hoping the best out come for you and your hunt. KILL A BIG ONE!!!! Best of luck tomorrow. ITS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

Dan Dan Dan,
I just got back from helping Jace retreive their bull, and have been wondering why you hadn't called with the good news...
I had to run right in and log on to see what the #%#$ was going on. Figured for SURE today was the day. Well tomorrow is another day and those bulls had better watch their back sides cuz I'm thinking you are ready to take one down!
Good Luck!
Rick

Chubby Tuna said:
"Have the Pizza guy bring you a usb card reader. We gotta have pix with the happy ending. Please!!!"

ROTFLMAO! That there is funny.

You guys crack me up. The Pizza Guy has already been over the top in what he's done for us, so I'd never dare suggest anything else. Besides, I haven't taken that many pictures yet.

This morning, the elk were again fairly quiet. There was some bugling, but nothing like two days ago. We danced around with a herd up in the thick timber until 10:00 and then backed out when the wind got bad. I did have what appeared to be a nice 6x6 pass in front of me at about 45 yards, but it was so thick I could only get glimpses of him, never saw much of him at all. We had three different bulls going at once, but nobody wanted to come party with us.

I did get to enjoy something I haven't heard in quite a while. There was a ruffed grouse drumming just ahead of us for about 1/2 hour. When I asked Nick if he heard the ruffed grouse, he asked about their call. He hadn't been around any before. I told him how the male beats his wings against his breasts to attract females. It was neat to hear, and then we bumped into him just before turning back.

We're staying out all day. We just got back to the truck so I thought I'd post a quick message. I'm heading back out shortly to sit on that tank again. It was hit three days in a row, and then yesterday - nothing. I'm thinking that this afternoon I'll get visitors and I can't wait to greet them.

GOOD LUCK CAelknuts! I HOPE YOU GET A BULL OF YOUR DREAMS! I LOVE THIS THREAD!

BUGLEMN

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-08 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]Believe me, the Pizza Guy would gladly run up if the need arose!
But I have other obligations with Predator and trying to help her finish her hunt off with a bull.
Stick with it Dan! It WILL happen!
I feel you are right with the tank plan!...The weather played you a bad card yesterday.
Good luck!

ps..Dan if you happen to kill today, call me and I'll run a card reader up on my way to Fishlake so you can post some pics!
Probably be in town until 4 or 5!
Rick

CA,

Awesome updates. Stay the course and good luck. I wont get to hear the end for 2 weeks because I'm off to the Pauns to chase an elk of my own. I hope to have some good tales to tell. Stick a big stinky.

Dave

I have enjoyed reading along. You already got you trophy........(but I guess from reading your post you already know that.) Now you just need a good bull down to help you remember the great time you are having. Good luck!
Antlerrick
Did josh get his bull down yet? I know you've been up on fish lake a lot.
Oh .....I heard someone saw spider bull on sunday.. I don't think he is gona make threw the rifle hunt?

CAelknuts, I remember this summer reading your posts. You were the voice of reason talking about spidey not being the only bull on the Monroe.You have proved to me and everyone else that you don't have to hunt Spidey to have a hunt of a lifetime. I hope you get a bull but if not, you have made my last week after getting back from the high country in CO very enjoyable. Thanks so much for taking us along on your hunt.

Dan, thanks for all the posts its been great.... Im pulling for you to stick a big stinky! Can't wait for your next post. I was in your shoes in 2004 and finally scored on the 2nd to the last day.. Shot a big heavy 5x5... not what I wanted but it was a great hunt!

Someone said they saw CAelknuts in down town San Francisco yesterday carrying a laptop!

LOL! JUST KIDDING!

Can't wait for your reports! I hope you seal the deal soon!

Eel

In commemoration of 911 today your hunting Osama Bin Laden. I really hope you've found your target and shot that ba$tard through the heart. Sorry, I got carried away I know your hunting elk but I can still dream. It's coming down to the wire.
If the deal isn't closed tonight there's always the championship game and the buzzer beater tommorrow. Good Luck.

LMAO stinky!!! :7

What's that lyrics to that old Bon Jovi tune about bowhunting??

"shot through the guts and it's too late, you give archery a bad name"...

it's bedtime, i'm tired. Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

lmbo. tired 2. but im not going anywhere. just like the other 25 of ya lurking around. waiting for the post. the one that will bring to and end this addicting story.

Ya, I'm not turnin' in until we hear. Hopefully his laptop isn't broke or he'll have us all freakin' out. If not today Dan there is still tomorrow. Hang in there.

Not to be a jinx, but bow huntins awfully hard when they aint ruttin. I was kinda hopin they'd start fightin by now, and no i'm not talkin about the members of mm hehe

RE: Headin to the ninth inning.....

Well,since I coach a lot of baseball, that seems like an appropriate heading for this post. We're going to the last inning of a scoreless game, so to speak.

This afternoon didn't turn out like we expected. It was threatening thunder storms when we left the pickup at 12:30 to sit that tank until dark. Just as soon as I got settled in, it began to rain a little bit, but the wind was terrible! At least it was coming from a good direction, but this is the second afternoon/evening in a row that I just about froze out there. I was wearing pac boots, long johns, two camo tees, a polarfleece light jacket between them and finally later on my heavy Berber Fleece jacket, and I still never got warm. It probably blew a steady 20+ mph, with gusts over 30.

The highligt of the afternoon was our second bird encounter. A Golden Eagle landed near the tank, then walked down into it for a drink. He walked around for a while, and then took off to ride the air currents. I enjoyed watching him on and off for the next hour, as he'd soar back and forth looking for a rabbit or whatever he might find for dinner. From the look of it, we did about the same today.

Just before dark, two raghorns approached the log fence and it looked like they were going to come in to the tank. Instead, they turned and parraleled it for a ways, and then began feeding. A third bull, a raghorn five point, joined them and they all wandered around until the five point decided to hit the tank. After he had a good drink, I gave a soft bugle to see how he'd react. I figured a bugle and having him around as a live decoy might bring in a bull that I wanted. No such luck, he just stared in my direction, and when Nick gave out a cow call or two, he began barking. He wouldn't leave, but he wouldn't shut up, either. That was pretty much the afternoon hunt. Other than the ruffed grouse this morning and the golden eagle this afternoon, the highlight was getting to the truck to turn the heater on.

Dinner was fried silver salmon!

Tomorrow we're goint to stay to the south of camp, hunting the same area as yesterday and the day before that. There is a decent number of elk in there, and we'll be out all day working each aspen covered hill until we kill a bull.

Thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement. It's been a fun hunt, if frustrating at times. There've been some great experiences that I'll remember for a long time. This has been the first elk tag I've drawn since 2005, the only other elk hunts I've been on the last couple years have been with friends on their tags, so it's been great to have a tag of my own and carry a bow while chasing elk again.

I'll check in after we're done.

Right down to the last day man I hope you get a bull. I am leaving for a two week hunt in Oregon tomorrow afternoon. I hope you have a post with a downed elk by then cause I don't want to wait two weeks to find out what happened on your last evening. Good luck I hope you are successful.

CAelknuts,
The best of luck to you on your final day tomorrow, even if you don't harvest your Bull this has been a fantastic ride for the rest of us here on MM. I have became addicted to your post, the first thing I do every morning is turn on my laptop and check to see if there are any new posts. Then when I get to my office I plug in my laptop and check to see what I have missed from the time I left home until getting to work. Like alot of the other guy's that are addicted to your stories I have to stay up every night to read your final post of the night before going to bed. I can just hope that my LE Muzzy hunt on Mt. Dutton in 13 more days will be as great as yours has been for you on Monroe Mountain.
OwnMoreBone

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed taters and gravy.

CAelknuts,

Hey, I've been reading this post for a while now, figured I better chime in and wish you luck...okay you can go kill your bull now. I think I was jinxing your hunt by holding back. This is really one of the best posts I've ever read, it keeps me coming back. I should be studying for my college exam tomorrow, but I'm not, I'm just hunting elk vicariously through you. Go get him tomorrow! Best of Luck.

CAelknuts: I have been reading this right from day one and decided i better make a post to. I wish i was there with you ,your posts are so real i can't wait to get to wyoming to hunt elk now. I will be praying for you to get that bull of a life time. May your Arrow fly straight and swift and find its mark on that bull. I will be up waiting for your next post, Best of luck to you

I'm off for nine days of my own bow hunt for elk today. Won't be able to see your final resutls for over a week. You can bet your pants that this will be the first thing I check when I return. Too late to wish you good luck on your final day today, but GOOD LUCK!

CAelknut-

Thank you so much for taking time to keep us all posted on your hunt....I too like all of the others am hooked on reading this thread and wishing you luck...I really hope you get a Bull today, we all know you gave it 100%....

Hunt like a Champ today!

Thanks again!

Man this this is addicting...Its the last thing I do before bed and the first thing I do when I get up. TODAY IS YOUR DAY ! ! ! You're gonna get him today. Shoot straight!

CSO

It's all about the good times...

WALK OFF! WALK OFF! WALK OFF! It's the bottom of the ninth, if you get anything out over the plate take it outta here. Best of luck to you today Dan, I hope you seal the deal.

I don't know that a single hunter has ever had so many people pulling for him. Even if you don't shoot your bull today, thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Nothing has got me pumped up for my hunt like reading this thread.

CAelknuts: Thanks for all the post. Just like everyone else, I can not wait to get to work to read about the days events. Hang in there and your are right, it is the bottom of the 9th and something is going to happen. I had a archery LE tag 4 years ago on the San Juan unit and something did happen on the last day. I was able to take a Bull at first light on the last day. I feel your frustration about chasing elk with a bow when the bulls have just not really turned on. Today is the day and I looking forward to hearing about you day.

Thanks for keeping me interested in your hunt...

come on ca i am pullin for ya let us hear about some last day magic thanks for the post it has been a fun ride i do not know what the record is for most post without getting the big nuke bomb but this has to be close

elknuts,

I sure hope you are hot on a stinky today! Enjoyed the read. I keep hoping a dead spidey would show up here.....and he still might! (Doesn't need to be spidey though!)

Rick been down helping? He knows how to kill em on the last minutes on the last day!

CA

Thanks for the great stories along with the play by play. I hope you end this post with a " BIG BULL DOWN " you deserve it and Thanks for taking everyone along.

M02

CA, hope you get to take a shot today. I was in your shoes in 2005 on the Manti. It seemed like everyone but me was finding the elk and getting into the bulls. I started to panick after 4 days of not even getting within 200 yards and I shot the first bull that came my way on the second to last day of my hunt. Definately not what I was expecting (smaller 4x5) after getting him all packed out we went to try and get my buddy a cow and I had a really nice 5x6 (lower 300"s)come in to about 45 yards and just stand there looking around. Man was I dissapointed. I'm glad to hear that you have had the strength to hold out, I sure didn't

Good luck, can't wait to see the pictures.

->>>--Elkoholic8-->

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-08 AT 05:56PM (MST)[p]I believe this post is the 355th on this thread if I'm not mistaken. Man....that has to be a MM record doesn't it? We're not done yet. Caelknuts if you slam a bull today and report on it tonight I believe this could flow over the 400 mark. Hey, maybe your bull could score that much as well. We can only hope the planets and the stars are all aligning. Good Luck

elknuts,

Lets here the final chapter? I sure as hell hope things worked out. It sounds like you met some great Utards, enjoyed the Monroe, and had a good time. Elk or no elk it was fun to hear about. I sure hope you got a good bull today! I have admired your effort until the end. You definitely deserved one.

I know were all waitin for it but honestly i hope we get nothing till tommorrow. Hope hes packin out a big ole bull miles from the road and cant get back to us till tommorrow! Hope ya got it done.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -- Abraham Lincoln

Dan....I am dying to know how it all ended?
I am down in LA right now as I am going to the USC-Ohio state football game tomorrow, or I would be up on the mountain trying to find you to see how it all ended up.

Either way, I hope you had a good time!!! I know I enjoyed getting to meet you and Nick. Come back down ANYTIME!!!!

Jason

This thread has captured the true spirit of hunting; it shows how hunters are willing to help hunters regardless of location and backgrounds if the tag holder is willing to put forth the efforts. We all hope it ends in a harvest, however if it doesn't we still own CAelknut a big thanks for taking us along for the ride.

I agree with BigWooley! I hope you cannot type until 6 in the morning, because the horns, steaks, and roasts were too heavy to get back earlier!?!?! I sure hope you have tired hands elknuts!!!

Dan,
Hope too we don't hear from you till tomorrow morning with good news of "BIG BULL DOWN". But no matter what happens, thanks for the memories of the story/hunt this past week or so.

Antlers_Ink,
Unless this thread continues for a long time, it will not be close to the TURTLE THREAD which holds the record here at MM.

Maybe this thread and Dan's hunting day by day accounting of it will continue and surpass the TURTLE, time will tell.

Good luck Dan and get a BIG OLD NASTY STINKY.

Brian

Boy all this waiting!! You would think it was all of us on the hunt and our tag!!! I'm with the others as late as it is getting I hope you can not get to us because "IT HAPPENED". You deserve the best!! Thanks for bringing us all along on your hunt and inviting us into your camp. You have made alot of freind for life and have not even met most of us face to face. I hope to met you on some mtn some day in person. I know if you ever drew a unit and ask for information or help on this site you will have plenty of people offering you the help. Thanks agian and I'm hoping for the final chapter to be successful, you have put in the time and the effort!!!

Dan,
I don't normally post comments on here but I just wanted to thank you for posting this thread it has been quite an adventure.It felt as if we were all there with you. No matter how it turned out, it was a heck of a ride.This is the true meaning of what these forums should be.Best of luck in your further adventures.
Shawn
p.s If you ever wanna hunt Idaho let me know i'll hook you up.

10:19 pm. cal. time Dan, your kill'n me, hope you stink and your hands are bloody and your back is sore...but i'm going to bed...i'll be check'n first thing in the morn!! hope you did it..good nite all........
Mike

RE: We're done!

With today being the last day of the archery season, I had decided that I was going to shoot the first decent branch antlered bull that I had an opportunity to take. I like elk meat, a lot, and this was my first tag in the last three years. I've been enjoying helping my buddies on their elk hunts over the last few years, but I couldn't seem to get drawn (of course, I pretty much just apply for tough to draw tags) so I had decided that anything bigger than a small raghorn was going to be in trouble today.

We left camp while it was still well before the first hint of daybreak. We headed south from camp, down toward Big Flat and the hills to the east of there. We'd been into elk just about every time we went down there, but I hadn't seen a single bull I wanted to shoot earlier in the hunt. Now, I figured that most any of those bulls would be welcomed to ride home in the back of my truck. We parked in several spots while it was still pitch black, listening for bugles. What we got instead was the old Simon and Garfunkel tune "The sound of silence". Nothing, not one single bugle. Since our final parking spot was right where we could encounter elk as soon as we left the truck, we waited until it got close to light enough so that I could see my sight pins, then we headed out to the specific hills where we'd called in several bulls on Monday and Tuesday.
Upon arriving there, we set up and called several times, but Simon and Garfunkel just kept coming back at us. Silence. We hunted several of these hills, going through calling seuences about every ten minutes, and....nothing. We finally decided that the elk that were in there had moved on, and we headed back to the truck to try some other areas around 9:00. We finally headed back to camp at 10:30 without having seen or heard a single elk this morning. We then had a difficult decision to make. Should we hit the same general areas for the balance of the day? Or, should we head clear across the unit to where we've been sitting on that tank? We decided that since elk had come in to the tank during shooting light in four of the five afternoons that I sat there, that would be the wise move. Part of our thinking was that today was crystal clear and warmer than it had been the last two days, so we figured that elk would water even more than they had the last couple days. Since the morning had been a bust, we figured it was our best option. It was a big gambleu, but we knew quite a few elk were living in that area and they seemed to be more vocal than in other spots, though it was all relative. The bugling has seemed to taper off significantly the last three days, perhaps due to the weather or to the moon, who knows?

We arrived over at the tank shortly after 12:00 and I settled in for eight hours of stand hunting. I know that most archers are used to sitting on stands, but for those don't bow hunt, or who haven't done much sitting, you probably wonder how a guy can sit there for so long without going stir crazy. I've learned that sitting for long periods is an acquired skill. You have to get out there and do it and stretch your times out to be able to eventually put in the time required to be successful sitting. It can be boring, but is very productive if you are persistent. I like to take books to read, and that really helps pass the time. However, I'd long since finished the only book I brought on this trip, so I just kept my mind busy for those eight hours by enjoying every bit of wildlife I could find to watch. A raven came in to the tank to drink, just like the golden eagle did yesterday. At 2:00, I heard a mew, and soon after saw a mature cow heading down the slope. I figured she was the lead cow for a group, so I prepared myself for an eventual shot at the bull that was sure to be with this group she was leading. The only problem was, she was all by herself and traveling. I watched the cow feed across the sage flat and out of sight, without ever coming near the tank. It's funny, the things you can find to occupy your attention. At one point, I noticed an inchworm on one of the branches of my blind, so I watched him go about his business for several minutes. Now think about this, how often do any of us take time to notice stuff like this? I know I generally don't, but when I'm on stand, whether in a tree or ground blind, I enjoy watching every little detail going on around me. The inchworm brought back the memory of sitting in a ground blind in New Mexico's unit 15A about five years ago. I was on a tank waiting for elk to show up, but the only wildlife that day was a tarantula hawk (a huge black wasp), and the tarantula that he had stung and was dragging around my blind. It was kinda fascinating to watch him go about his business, sort of like my own personal National Geographic moment. That particular event didn't end too well, as I was a full draw on a 330 class bull when I noticed something on my bow arm shoulder. It was the tarantula hawk, and he was just about ready to climb over my collar and go down into my shirt. While staying at full draw, I leaned toward a tree, intending to crush the tarantula hawk and then make my shot on the bull. Instead, he stung me and I let out a howl, my arrow went off into space on a trajectory similar to the space shuttle and the elk about jumped out of his hide, I gave him such a surprise. Those are some of the memories from stand hunting.

After the cow, nothing else came along for a few hours, other than a pair of hawks that were hunting the sage flat. They finally left and it was getting late, not a single sign of any elk showing up yet, but then, it only takes one elk and I still had plenty of time. I only needed one to come in. I whiled the time away by thinking of some past hunts, and hunting partners. I thought about the only two elk hunts I ever got to share with my father. He died in 1980, at the young age of 46, so we never got to do as many hunts together as we wanted. He never hunted elk in September, and that is something I think he'd have enjoyed greatly. I also thought about a great elk hunt I got to share with my son in 2004, when he drew his first elk tag at the age of 16. It was an early muzzleloader elk tag in Arizona. We had a great hunt together, and he took a beautiful 6 pt. bull for his first elk. A year later we enjoyed another elk hunt, right here in Utah when he drew a youth any bull tag. I remembered how much he impressed me when he declined to shoot a 310 class bull on the last day, because there were too many other elk around it and he didn't want to risk hitting more than one elk. When I was his age, it would have been 'blazing saddles', and who knows what may have been hit. That moment is one I'll always be proud to think back on with him. He was only 17, and walked away from a very nice bull for all the right reasons. Two years ago, we had a great hunt on the Kaibab plateau when he drew a late rifle buck tag. My son really wanted to come along on this hunt, but he's away at college now, so it just wasn't possible. That was what occupied my afternoon thoughts. It was becoming a bittersweet day.

I had placed a note on a log, stuck in the road headed into the tank, that read: "Archery elk hunter on stand just ahead. Please don't disturb. Thank you!" The few quads or pickups that had seen it previously had all driven off, respecting my request for solitude. About 30 minutes before the sun was to set on my season, two quads rode up to the sign on the road, read it and then came up toward the tank. When they neared, I stepped out from the blind and motioned to them, but on they came. When they got to within 15 feet of me, I told the fellow that I only had about 1 1/2 hours left in my elk season, and I'd really appreciate it if they went somewhere else instead of wrecking what little opportunity I might have left. He just looked at me, sorta clueless, and said 'Oh Yeah, I got it'; and off they rode back the way they came from. I was just a dad with his young child on one quad, and grandpa on the other, seemingly just out for a joyride. I doubt they were scouting for the rifle hunt, but who knows. At the moment, I didn't care.

A while later, I coyote came out of the timber from about 40 yards to my left, and he proceeded to start hunting on the sage flat. I watched him for about five minutes before he disappeared, along with the sun. I was down to my last 30 or so minutes before my season would be over, but I only needed one elk to come in. The wind was blowing briskly, this was the third straight day of full winds, but at least today the skies were clear. It was quite chilly, especially since I hadn't bothered to bring a heavy jacket to the blind at noon. As it got darker, I reflected on the bulls I'd seen on this hunt, and the ones I could have come to full draw on, but chose not to. There was a 320 class bull, two 330 class bulls and some smaller five and six point bulls that I'd be glad to have now...or their little brother for the matter. There were a number of other bulls which I didn't have a chance at, some of which were pretty nice. There was one very special bull, one I haven't previously mentioned for a reason. I realize that some of the people on this hunt have been following this thread, and a few knew where I've been hunting. I did not want anyone to realize the primary reason we've been hunting that one tank all week. On Monday, we had a herd come in to the tank at around 4:00, about twenty five cows and only one bull. He was a giant! I figured he'd score at least in the 370's, and possibly a fair bit higher. That bull was one of the main reasons we've been sitting that tank every afternoon. He never presented a shot opportunity on Monday, and I've been expecting to see him again at some point. It could happen, literally, at any time.

As it began to get dark, I kept watching for a bull to materialize where most of the others had jumped the fence, but still nothing came. As it got darker, I noticed a great view of the siloette of Monroe Peak, the pink glow of dusk behind it, and a lone star just above the peak.

My season had ended.

Dan, Maybe not a happy ending, maybe a bittersweet pill to swallow, maybe one of your most frustraiting hunts ever, but wow! WHAT A RIDE!!

You saved the best chapter for last. A super recap of your hunt and the little and large things that made it. Tag filled or Tag stew, as the years go by it will matter little, was so very awesome to follow this adventure. One i'm sure, you'll never forget, and rank right up there with the best!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Joey

What a great ending to a story. The events that unfolded around you while sitting in the blind certainly wisped me back to hours of "sitting" in wait for a trophy. It is one of the greatest times to ponder about life and nature. Thanks for the ride.

Dan, sorry it didn't turn out the way you might have planned, but like I said in one of my other comments, it is all of the memories like you've just written that will stay in your mind and your heart. I really wish you had taken a bull, and it makes me glad that I did, even though he wasn't exactly what I was after. Take all of those memories on to your next hunt wherever it may be, and thanks for letting us all come along for the ride. It was really great being able to go on 2 hunts at the same time. Mine and yours. I would come home well after dark, and usually you had written by then. I wish I would have done the same thing, especially since I was coming "home" every night. I was fortunate to live within the area I was hunting for my Limited entry elk tag. We all were hoping you'd get "the big one" and you gave it one heck of a try, you held out til the bitter end, and things just didn't work out. They could have in a blink of an eye, and that's why they call it hunting. Mine all happened in less than a minute from the first time the bull bugled until he was on the ground dead. I really wish it had for you. Take care, and thanks for sharing your hunt with us. No-one was more deserving. Get 'em on your next hunt. Mark.

Thanks for the taking the time to write. I really enjoyed it and hope to have a tag myself sometime in the near future. I had a great time. Too bad on no bull but the memories are forever.

this has been a fine example of what hunting is all about..
making new friends, enjoying old friends,,taking it all in..
eagles ravens coyotes inchworms,,the scenery..
close encounters with more 300+ bulls than i will ever see in my lifetime..
hearing elk talking rightout of camp,,
having the sand to pass on not so perfect shots ON BIG BULLS..
i think your hunt was more sucsesful than alot of people that did score a bull.. thanks for shareing your very exciting hunt..
i hope you have a safe trip home,, and i hope you draw another good tag in the near future,, if you do draw another DON'T FORGET YOUR LAPTOP...

Dan! It was a great ride anyway! I knew you weren't going to get anything when you started talking about inchworms and tarantula hawks. You gave it some great effort and passed on some bulls you didn't like. That is hunting! The taste of memories on your tongue don't fill your belly but they do warm your soul! Thanks for sharing the whole experience with us like you have. It has been fun! Congrats on a great hunt.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-08 AT 09:56AM (MST)[p]Dan, I finally figured out how to "hack" into this wireless system we had found up here so watched until late last night and didn't see your post so I hit the thread this morning before heading out.
Sorry to hear that it is over and ended the way it did.
AS I was reading your last post, the phrase "the agony of defeat" came to mind as I read thru your thought and experiences. Regardless of the defeat, you completed the hunt as a hero to many. Your grace and style and pure humbleness should have taught all of us who have been reading this thread morning and night, a lesson in humility and how to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. You are a great example and we all need to look at life and hunting thru your eyes.
I enjoyed meeting you and spending what little time I got to in your camp and visiting with you and Nick. You guys ARE my friends and will be forever.
Again sorry for the disappointing outcome, but the memories you have got will still last forever in your mind, as they will ours.
Gotta get going, you know elk may be bugling!
Will catch you later..
Thanks Again,
The Pizza Guy,
Rick

THANKS for taking me on your hunt. I can't tell you how much I appreciated your daily updates, It was a lot of fun and I'm sorry you didn't get a bull, but you did harvest a bunch of memories.

Your a class act and people like you definatelly give hunters a good name. CAELKNUTS has earned a lot of friends and respect on this site.

Thanks again, hope your trip back to CA is a good one.

My wife and I were just discussing the reasons why this thread has received so much attention. I'm sure she's glad this hunt is over because the first thing I do in the morning is check this thread!

There are a lot of reasons we hunt.....but this thread proves that usually the friendships and memories created by pursuing a common goal are some of the most important reasons. Thanks for your efforts to help all of us better realize why we love the outdoors and spend so much time and money preparing to have these experiences!

Scott

That last post was fantastic CA! THanks Very Much. I am just about to walk out the door for 8 days with great friends in elk country.... I hope my trip is half as successful as yours!

Ernie

Sorry to hear no bull. But it sounds like you had a ton of fun. I will be leaving the 18th till end of season here in Idaho. I dont care what I knock down though. Just going for fun with a seasoned elk hunter from Northern Idaho.

Good luck on the rest of your season.

CAElknuts,
This has got to be the biggest pot of tag soup ever shared on this site. We all are having a bowl right along with you. Funny thing is it doesn't taste bitter. Only sweet, chock full of memories, and definitely satisfying.
Thanks for the ride.

Dan,
Sorry to hear that you did not tag a bull!
I truely enjoyed reading the updates, thank you for the entire post! :)

Dan, I thank you for putting your perspective into such beautiful words. And for reminding me of my I love Gods great outdoors.
You have just had one of the most successful hunts ever. Congratulations!

Dude. what a hunt!!! im glad you took the time to share so mutch of this hunt with us. you take home some grand memmories. alot of new freinds. be safe going home. ken

Dan, like alot of others...thanks for takeing us along, i really enjoyed the trip, all trips don't have to end with a gut pile to be succesful. This year, this was my elk hunt as i didn't draw.Have a safe trip back to ca.Well get'm next year!
Mike

Elknuts,

Your season may not have been as successful as you wanted, but it was a success here. Thanks for the updates!!!

Sorry that the hunt ended without the bull you breamed about. I know we are all a little down about the outcome, but like I have always said and reading yor story and and becoming familiar with you I know you had a great hunt and have many memories and after all is said and done "TAKING AN ANIMAL ON A HUNT DOES NOT MAKE A HUNT SECCESSFUL OR UNSUCCESSFUL, IT'S EVERYTHING THAT YOU EXPERIENCE AND THE MEMORIES YOU HAVE ".

Enjoy your memories as we will and start planning for the next great adventure. This will just make the next bull you bag be that much better.

As I said before. Thanks for bringing us all along on your hunt and inviting us into your camp. You have made alot of freind for life and have not even met most of us face to face. I hope to met you on some mountian some day in person. I know if you ever draw another unit/hunt and ask for information or help on this site you will have plenty of people offering you the help. Thanks agian and be safe traveling home. Hope you drw a great tag soon and start a new book on your next adventure. Best of luck on your remaining hunts this year and on future draws. I hate to see this come to an end, but for now over and out!!!

CA, Thank you for the experience! I have sat here for an hour reading this entire thread. I have never spent this much time reading a single thread! After having finished my 3rd elk hunt in Colorado, I am now back to work in Illinois. You have enabled me to tag along with you and experience the thrill of the sights, sounds, and smells of being in the aspens and pines chasing bulls. Being a whitetail hunter, I know how hours of stand hunting can tax the mind and body! Thank you for the awe inspiring tales of the elk, lion, chipmunk, eagle, and the inchworm! It may not seem like it now, but your hunt was incredibly successful!
I wish you luck in your future encounters with big bulls. Thank you again, for letting us sneak along with you!

DAN, Sorry that you did not fill your tag with a bull I really am. I really appreciate the journey you took us on, it was very special. I think we can all learn alot from this forum about what hunting is all about, its not at all about the harvest of an animal but about a harvest of something inside us that just cant be explained, although you did a good job at it. I am impressed by your great attitude all the way to the end even though im sure it hurts to not get another opportunity towards the end of your hunt to harvest an animal. I admire your no quit to the end attitude. Thanks again for the stories, it was priceless, and good luck on your next hunt and that goes for everyone else also.

Dan,

Thank you very much for the post. As you can tell you caught the attention of quite a few members of this site and we were all rooting for you. Sorry you were not able to wrap your tag around a mainbeam. Sounds like a wonderful hunting experience and one that your father would be proud of.

I am sure there will be other hunts chasing bulls in your future.
Thanks again for sharing your story. Very well written and entertaining.

JR

Thanks CAElknuts, I just got back from an unsuccessful high country buck hunt in Colorado and enjoyed this post immensely! It reminds me of my 2006 Ariz. unit 9 archery elk hunt. Great memories of huge elk but no blood. You gave it a great try but that very small part we call luck was the only missing ingredient. It is a small part though and does not diminish the great memmories and fun you had. Thanks again for the great story.

CAelknuts,

Thanks again for a fun story. If you like I'll send you the full .jpg of this Monroe 380 bull that ran the some area you hunted. Kinda reminds me of your hunt. I don't normally give the shot away but for you it's free.

48cbf8ad61f205bc.jpg

Echoing the words of many before me on this thread, thank you for the entertainment for the last two weeks. Passing along your experiences via the internet made the workplace resemble a book club each morning. Sometimes it is hard to swallow, but it is not whether or not an animal is harvested, but the memories that were made and the experiences had. Once again, thanks for the ride...

Simply unbelievable, this is the closest I've ever been to a LE utah hunt, and it was extremely interesting to read along. You never think that drawing a tag like this that you could end up eating it, but this shows how easy it is.
Also congrats on holding your standards so high, it sounds like you have the experience needed to do so. around day four or five i would've stuck the first six point i could.
Again thanks so very much for letting us all tag along, it was really awesome.

CAElkNuts, like others I couldn't help but check a few times daily to see how the hunt was progressing. Sorry to hear you didn't harvest a bull but what a great experience you had. Thanx for sharing it as it really pumped me up for my hunt as it did for many others I'm sure. With the access today, hopefully others will do the same play by play on their hunts...

CA

Just want to say thanks for all the extra time you put in to keep all of us by your side on your hunt.It was something to be able to follow along every day while you hunted.Hope things would have turned out different for you as you put forth the effort.Good luck on your up and coming hunts.Hope you will take us along again.Enjoy the memories.

M02

Dan,
You are the man! Reading your thread makes me proud to call myself a "hunter", as you have exemplified everything good about our shared passion. You are certainly welcome to share my campfire anytime.

Thanks for the hunt. I enjoyed it from day one.

Some of my greatest hunting memories have nothing to do with the animals I was hunting. Rather the experiences along the way are what make each and every one great.

Thanks again. elkantlers

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom