MONROE ELK HUNT

Dan,

You are a class act. I have never met you but would love to share a campfire with you any day! The way with which you described your hunt in vivid detail showed me the type of hunter you are. You truly took time to "smell the roses" and enjoy what most will never have the opportunity to do, Chase giant bulls!

Was the hunt hard? Heck ya it was! Did you do your best? No need to answer as it is an obvious YES! Did you go home unsuccessful? NO! I wish you could of taken some elk meat home with you, but you will take home many vivid memories and friendships. Those can not be replaced or have a value placed on them!

Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. You epitomize sportsmanship and really made the last few weeks enjoyable for all of us! Have a great day!

Chad

Somehow I have missed this whole post until about an hour ago. Thanks for the best hour of my day. I really enjoyed the whole hunt. It was kind of like when you read a really good book and your sad when you finish it. Great post.

Great reads Thanks it was good to read when your stuck in the office but still feel like your there.

Thanks for such a great update on a hunt. I'm glad you're so patient with the numbers of quads and people in general. I can promise you that I would of tagged out early on in the hunt, with the only catch being it would of been a Sportsman 700 instead of a big old bull. I would of gotten so frustrated with all that traffic. I keep putting in for the Dutton and I hope that it isn't near as bad as you have seen. It's supposed to be steep and nasty and I sure hope it is. Thanks again.

Dan,

Congrats on a good hunt! I was really hoping you could have hung your tag on a bull. I am sure you walked away knowing you did your best and that is all you can do. I think you did great enjoying a Utah fair chase elk hunt. You can alway go buy a big fence bull, but it is not about that. Fair chase on public ground has no guarantees, and you made the most out of what you could control.

I hope one day the draw God's shine on you, possibly another go round with the stinkies?

Rick and Beverly are friends of mine as well. They never brought me pizza though? WTF Rick!;-) I am glad you got to become friends with them as well! They are great people in my eyes.

Thanks for the blog and hopefully you got another Utah elk tag in your future. You have a great attitude! Better than mine would be and I learned something by reading your entries!

RE: Postscript

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-08 AT 01:23AM (MST)[p]First of all, thank you very much for all the kind comments and words of support. It was, and is, highly apprecaited.

When I started this thread, I never had any idea or intention that it would become what it has turned into. I had just as much fun with it as many of you seem to have, and Nick was about the best camp partner anyone could ask for. He took care of a lot of extra camp chores so that I could write while he cooked, cleaned up and was patient as heck with me. I don't know that very many of us truly have more than a few true hunting 'partners' that they can enjoy experiences with, and I'm proud to have Nick Sikich as one of my closest friends and a great hunting partner. Not a lot of people would take two weeks off from work to go on someone else's elk hunt; but when I told him I'd drawn this tag, all he wanted to know was "When do we leave, and for how long?" I did the same with him when he drew an Arizona archery elk tag a few years ago, and when he arrowed a bull on that hunt, I was hiding under a juniper bush about 75 yards away - it was jst as exhilerating for me as him. It seems that as hard as quality tags are to draw these days, the easiest way to go on more quality hunts is to go when anyone gets drawn. I have one or two other friends like Nick, but only one or two with whom I get to share these hunts.

I'd also like to thank a few people who made our hunt better. Rick Farnsworth - Antlerrick, and Jason Rappleye - Fishlakeelk hunter both came by camp and spent time visiting. We really enjoyed that a lot. Of course, I owe Rick big time for the pizza delivery and use of his charger, as well as the advice that both Rick and Jason provided before and during the hunt. While I didn't get to meet her, Lisa Pascadlo - Predator, and I exchanged messages, seeing how each other were doing on our hunts and comparing notes about our parallel hunting experiences. I still don't know how her hunt concluded, but I have to believe that her hunt over on the Fishlake unit was at least as successful as mine. I don't think she'd measure her success by whether she killed an elk or not, as much as whether the elderly gentleman whom she pointed to her own honeyhole so that he could kill a 6 pt. bull, was successful in doing so. I'd love to hear how each of them did. I thought what Lisa did for that gentleman was a great example of true sportsmanship. There were certainly others who contributed to our experience, and I apologize for not remembering everyone's names, but I just got home from a 13+ hour and 680 mile drive. It is good to be home, and my Black Lab agrees! I guess my wife is happy also, but she's at Lake Tahoe with girlfriends, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see her. A couple of other people who made our elk hunt a better experience are Craig Rasmussen and Ralph Smith of the U.S. Forest Service. Both offered assistance and advice that made our trip better, and I'm disappointed that I didn't get a chance to thank them in person before leaving. There were many others who offered tips on places to hunt, showers at their family cabin, offers to come help pack out a bull if I ever got around to shooting one, etc. I can't list everyone, but "THANK YOU" to each and every one of you!

Our trip was a great success, but then it's rare when any hunting or fishing trip I go on isn't. I've long since gotten past measuring the success of a trip by the fish or game animals that I might bring home, or their size, even though that is still a very important aspect of any trip for me. While I don't know the exact number of times I've hunted elk either on my own tag or with buddies who had the tag, it's something over 30 elk hunts. When I was younger, the cheif reason I came home without an elk was poor shooting, hunting poor areas or not understanding how to hunt them. For the last 10-15 years, the chief reason I come home without an elk is passing up bulls that I could or should shoot. This trip was a classic in that regard. During the first week, I was sitting on some wallows at Fitzgerald Park, and the night that FLEH came by to visit, I had one 6 pt. bull feeding within range for the better part of 15 minutes, and he was around much longer than that. A bit later that evening, I had a 320+ bull broadside, right in front of me at 30 yards. I never picked up my bow either time, let alone drew an arrow back. When I have experiences like those, there is no way I can consider a hunt anything less than successful. There were more encounters with bulls than I listed, and each of them contributed to making this hunt a good one.

Some other things that made this hunt so great were things like watching that spike bull at five or six yards. I could see his nose dripping, litteraly! How many of you have ever been that close to an elk that didn't spook, and bedded down at 12 yards after staring at you for an eternity? Those are some of the reasons that made this hunt so great, and keep me going back year after year. It doesn't hurt that I have a very understanding wife and kids who tolerate my indulgences. Of course, my son is just as bad, or worse and I think that is a good thing in this day and age. There are so many other things they can do that are not as wholesome as hunting and fishing.

While I came home without a bull, there will be more opportunities for big bulls on many quality elk hunts in my future, God willing. I've got a bunch of bonus or preference points for all species in Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, California and Colorado. My son also has many points for most species in these states, so over the next ten to fifteen years we're going to enjoy some fantastic elk (and mule deer, antelope, sheep, etc.) hunts across the west. I started accumulating bonus/preference points for my son in just about every western state that offers them as soon as he was old enough to start applying, and he'll be 21 in November. Some folks focus on soccer or other things like that, and I have focused on putting my son into position to enjoy a ton of great hunts over his lifetime. Laying that groundwork means that we're both going to enjoy some great hunts together going forward. I might even come to my senses next time and shoot a really nice bull when I get the chance.

I'll try post a few pictures over the next few days. We didn't take that many photos, but I'll try to share those that we captured.

I hope the rest of you have as wonderful and successful a hunting season as I've had. Enjoy!

Dan

EXCELLENT post script elk nutz!!

I'm glad you had the elk hunt of a lifetime, and i'm glad your not the type of person that measures your success by what's in the back of your truck, hunting goes WAY deeper than that!!

Thank you for the constant updates, that will go down as one of the best threads ever in MM history.
And THANK YOU for caring ebough about you MM friends to keep us filled in like you did, i'm sure there were evenings you posted that you'd have rather just went to bed.

Congratulations on a VERY "successful" Utah elk hunt, your hunt was text book perfect!! ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

CAelknuts, I hate to repy at all after you ended your posts with such a fine ending but I did want to say thanks. You have had over 300 replies without the MM members getting mad at each other, that must be a first. I feel I know you through your posts if you are ever in Mid Mo look me and my family up. I will save a place for you at the Sunday dinner table.

Glad to hear you made it home safely. We took a ride back upon the Monroe yesterday but I wasn't surprised you had broke camp and headed home. It was nice to meet you and Nick and visit and share some experiences. I was so jealous of you guys being able to just camp and hunt and enjoy the simple life for your two weeks.
Of course, it is something we can all do anytime if we want, but your's was pretty special as you had 100's of friends there with you in your camp everynight.
Take care and keep in touch...

ps. I don't deliver Pizza to CA!

thanks again Dan!

Rick

Just an observation that this may be a record book post for many reasons but 300+ posts without a single post from BOBCATBESS or Pro! That's impressive.

Thanks for the fun ride 'Nuts. NOW POST SOME PICTURES!

HAZ

Dan,
Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. After reading your story it motivated me to finally join MM so I could tell you how much I enjoyed your hunt. I was lucky enough to hunt the Monroe 12 years ago and your story bought back many wonderful memories. You hunted hard and hunted the right way, how many stories have you read that ended with a kill the last hour of the last day. I'm glad you had the willpower to hold out because it could've happened the same way for you. Thank you and good luck on all your future hunts.

I honostly feel as if I was sitting right along next to you the entire trip. Thank you for taking the time to include us on your adventure. I can't wait till your next hunt almost as much as mine.

Even without an elk this will probably be the most "successful" post on MM this season.

Thanks for sharing!

Dan,

I enjoyed the post and following your hunt. My wife has been making fun of me when I've been sitting by the computer until 10:30 when I usually go to bed early. Good luck on future hunts and thanks again.

Dub

Wow Dan, look what you started. Thanks for the E-mail about this site. Reading all of these posts about your hunt from these great people reminds me of one of the reasons I hunt. Its the kindness and comraderie that I read from all of these great folks. Or it could be the value systemt that we all share as hunters, especially the guys and gals that put put the foot to the dirt and pound the mountains out west in search of ELK! i could see it in their postings.

For all of you that dont know CAELKNUTS, (well im sure most of you feel like you do after his great story), or should I say "have never seen him"... what a tremendous man and role model he is. Lets see if he can guess who i am???

I read on some of his posts about his ethics and other things that you might be able to draw a portrait of of him, but they dont do justice for the man.

It comes as no surprise to me that he didnt fill his tag. I can attest he does this for much more that the hunt as you have read. I know he speaks true when he say's that he is in it for the enjoyment of others as well. I have witnessed this first hand when he took my son on a youth day waterfowl hunt at his honey hole! I probably just gave myself up!

HE doesnt need to harvest smaller ones because, I have seen this mans trophy room and it rivals no other. (well maybe Cabelas). With this being said i know that he doesnt hunt just to put horns on the wall. When i learned that he drew this coveted tag, i was so happy for him because i knew he had been putting in for it for a long time and he is always taking time off to go with others who have drawn that special tag JUST TO GO and offer advice, experience and help. And I love listening to him talk about these hunts, not because the man has a way with words, but because he is so friggen knowledgeable about ethical hunting.

The word selflessness comes to mind when i think of CAELKNUTS. other than hunting, this man runs one of the top youth baseball programs in Calif. where he donates his time and on most occassions money to provide kids with an avenue to showcase their abilities. HE also paves the way for alot of kids to recieve college scholarships through his program...

In this day and age its hard to find guys like him. I dont mean to get on here and have a love fest, but i just thought i could offer some insight on this great guy and fellow hunter. And to acknowledge that all of your words are warranted.

Dan lets do lunch!! i cant wait to hear the stories that didnt make it on here.

>>>------------>

CAELK,

We do not have love fests around here. They are called a "man crush.";-) Lets get Dan on Deal or No Deal so he can buy a Monroe tag and go again?

My wife rides me about MM. A person can usually read some posts and figure out what a guy is like. I like Dan and I never heard his voice or seen his face. I know I wanted him to connect on Spidey!

KTC maybe a slight man crush. Just cause i would have liked to have been him for the past month. there is nothing like elk hunting with a bow, as im sure you know. Since my buddies all had things come up this year an OTC elk hunt was out of the question, so you bet im envious of NUTS. great story though huh. thought i was with him a couple of times. with this site and numerous DVD's, i still cant get my fix... maybe the OTC WA tag will do me justice this year.

I may have a slight man crush as well?;-) Anyone who can go out and enjoy a hunt like that, while bringing everyone along is a pretty decent guy.

I am not a bow hunter any more, but I got to enjoy one this year on Monroe!

I sure hope Dan beats the odds and gets to take out some revenge on those sly old Utah bulls. It is pretty amazing what Utah has done. I honestly feel the LE bow guys got short changed. I would have liked to see Dan have until the 17th or so. I have never heard him complain or any sour grapes either, I like that!

thanks for the awesome story. i waited till the end and then read through the whole thread at once. good writing, i know how frustrating it can be to hunt in utah with all the joyriders and sightseers anyway im sure you took a lot away from this trip even without a bull. way to hunt hard and thanks again for the good read.

RE: need some help to post photos

I downloaded some photos to my computer, but the files are too big to upload onto Monster Muleys. I've tried to reduce the file size, but don't know what I'm doing. If anyone can give me some direction, I'll downsize the files and then post them on here. Thanks in advance.

For posting my pic's, I go into my editing software and select the pic. Then I click edit. I crop it just slightly and then when I go to save it, I change the file size usually in half. I also rename the changed pic so my original stays large and untouched. I am not very tech savy, hopefully that helps get you in the right direction.

Can't wait to see the pic's

Chad

Open them in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, click Edit Pictures. On the right it says Compress Pictures. Click that and select the size that is less than 300Kb. Make sure to do a Save As... and name it something different or it will replace your original with the compressed version.

Hurry! We've been waiting for these a long time.

Haz

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-08 AT 11:19PM (MST)[p]Here is a bull that I passed up during the first week. I took this picture when he was at 48 yards, but earlier I had him at less than 30 yards, broadside and feeding his way along toward the wallow.

48d72aa023549072.jpg

Any guesses as to his size? I know how big I think he is.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-08 AT 11:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-08 AT 11:03?PM (MST)

OK, let's try this.

48d726b7782d3f92.jpg

Thanks for the help. This is a picture of me taken above Barney Lake, at 10,716 feet. This was only a couple days after we arrived, so there was definitely no oxygen up there. You can see the Beaver unit across the valley, in the background.

This is the view from my ground blind, of the tank that I sat on the last six afternoon-evenings. I had nice bulls come in on four of the six days, early enough to shoot. The biggest bulls were two 330s class bulls, and a 370-380 class bull.

48d7344f39a4d778.jpg

Dan,

Thanks for sharing your hunt!

I just returned from New Mexico and it was equally tough. The bulls were only vocal a couple of times, did not respond to cow calls and only answered bugles on a few occasions.

We intercepted a few elk going to thier beds. I had one opportunity at 63 yards at a 300" bull and thought he would move closer to 40 yards. He winded me in the swirling breeze and blew out.

That is hunting and I enjoyed myself and learned alot in my first archery elk hunt.

Ed
48d7d44a7628464d.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

Dan, thanks for sharing your hunt with all of us here on MM. It was great to get the daily updates and it sounds as though you successfully and thoroughly enjoyed every day of your hunt (as did I). It was a fun hunt to read about every morning when I turned on my computer and tuned in to your updates. -Cody

It appears that the big bull I was hunting the last week of my hunt has been killed by a rifle hunter. I provided this hunter with some information on where we were seeing bulls, including this bull. The hunter, Bobbie, emailed me to tell me that he killed a big bull scoring 384 very close to where I was hunting, at the end of the road where I was sitting. He posted pictures on another website (#####) and the bull sure looks a lot like the one I was hunting. I'm not positive it's the same bull, but if not it must be his brother. He killed it approximately a mile from where I saw it. If you go over there it's shown on a post titled 384 monroe bull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom