Moose hunt dates ??

chipc

Very Active Member
Got lucky after 11 years and drew Wyoming unit 25. I'm hunting with a rifle and the season runs Oct 1 -31. Unit 25 is a little lower elevation than most ( the big valley beyween the Wyoming and Wind River ranges) and the Moose tend to hang mostly in the Green and New Fork River bottoms. I'll be hunting private land with little other pressure. I was wondering your opinion on the best week to go ? I've had some say go the first week and catch the rut, and some say go later and hope for some snow,colder weather, and no leaves on the willows for better visibility. What do you think ? THANKS. Chip

Chip,
With 11 points you should have been guaranteed a tag in unit 25! I think it's a great unit and I've seen moose in the area on several occasions. I'm sure some others on the site will have more specific info for 25 than I will since I'm more familiar with surrounding units.
I've always liked the rut and you should catch it during the first part of your hunt. You make a good case for snow and absence of leaves though. It would be easier to see them and perhaps some would come off the forest unit into 25.
Do you live close enough or have the schedule flexability to hunt BOTH early and late? If not, I would hunt early. The weather is usually still cold enough to take good care of the meat and not as rough as the later part of the season. But...who knows?
Zeke

I have unit 24 just to your west. I was in what is moose unit 23 two years ago and the rut was really going strong the first week of Oct.

Depending on my luck in other draws I plan on being there Oct 1st at the latest and giving it a good try for a week with the bow. After that its a week with the rifle( or muzzleloader)before my Bighorn elk tag opens.

Since you will have limited pressure I would still be there Oct 1 to hunt the rut. If you can find a little knoll to get on you will have no problem seeing the moose and they should be traveling good. Waiting for snow...............might be there Oct 1 or maybe Dec 1????????

Good luck

I hunted moose in unit 25 back in 2006. Saw moose every single day, the rut was on this first part of the month and they were on the move. Sometimes was only one moose per day but best day was a total of 13. I focused on the area west of Daniel and the Cottonwood drainages. I saw several 30-40 inchers but no monsters. I hunted 2 days for my antelope then focused on the moose. Call and talk to as many ranchers as possible, they are all very helpful and most will allow you to hunt their property. Also call the warden for that area he is helpful too.

My team had left for home when I finally decided on a bull....took his last breath and toppled over in the creek. Not a fun day for a solo hunter with a bull moose in knee deep water,not a task I want to do again anytime soon. I have 14 pts for UT moose and am still dreading the tag :) not really should draw that one in the next few years. Good luck

bp

Here is my 2 bits!
I hunted 26 many years ago and I went early. I also heard that later you can see them better when the leaves are gone, but I had no trouble finding moose during the rut. If you find cows, typically bulls are not far away. The bulls were also out looking for love, so they were pretty visible then, although I think 25 is thicker than 26. But if it were my tag I would go early and then if no luck I would quit my job and go back! You won't get another tag in Wyoming.
The biologist told me to cover as much ground as I could via my truck. He said you will end up finding more bulls that way than just concentrating on one drainage. That is not my style, but for moose it seemed to work. I ended up killing a 44" eight year old bull and it was a blast. Ditto to having help if you can. They are monster animals and it took me and my buddy two days to pack mine a half mile back to my truck.
Congrats on the tag and have a blast!

LAST EDITED ON May-24-11 AT 07:09AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the response guys. I assumed thats the input I'd get. The problem is that I'm going with an outfitter (I live in Wisconsin -once in a lifetime tag )and he wants me to come the week of the 17th of Oct. I assume he has Elk hunters and etc earlier and since we are hunting private the moose probably aren't going anywhere. He's highly recommended, seems like a really good guy, and 100% on bulls over 40" forever. They had a tough time in early oct last year because it was so hot. So, i don't want to be a pain in the a*s and I probably shouldn't second guess. However, like most of you I tend to obsess on this stuff and I want to make sure I'm there at prime time. I'm trying to decide if I should discuss it further with him or just let it go.

Zeke, last year you were guaranteed a tag in 25 with 9 points. This year it was 50% with 11 points. The 800 or so 11 point guys are doing the math and are realizing if they want to hunt moose in the next 15 years or so they better "settle" for a tag other than 1, 34, 38. THANKS. Chip

Chip,
Your situation changes everything. It's tough to make 2 or 3 trips from where you live! Also since you're going with an outfitter it would be in your best interest to follow his advice. Oct 17th shouldn't be bad at all.
I have not hunted with very many guides but when I have they have been straight shooters.
Again, you're right, I need to make a decision on what I want to do with moose points before the wolfies eat 'em all.
Good luck Chip and keep us posted. Enjoy it since we'll only get one shot at the Wyo moose.
Zeke

I also drew 25 and I start hunting Oct 16th,I know when moose hunting in CO last year we hunted early and ran into the heat issue some where they were bedded early so with it hopefully being cooler they will be up and around more

Zeke is right about the outfitter making a big difference. They are paid to know their area, and while they are also trying to juggle clients, they won't generally steer you wrong. My Wyoming sheep outfitter asked me to come two weeks after the opener of my hunt. The wait about killed me, but by then the locals were gone and we hunted by ourselves for the whole hunt. Fantastic experience and killed a nice ram.
Again, good luck and for sure share pictures!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom