Moose hunt for wife

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I met my wife 6+ years ago and got her started hunting 5 years ago. From day one she wanted to kill a moose. I don't know the fascination women have with moose but I recognize it. Anyways, she has 5 PPs in Wy and Ut so she's a long ways from a PP draw hunt. What should I do?? Fork out the $$ for Alaska or is there still good moose in Idaho that have avoided the wolves.

I can apply her in Idaho this year but Alaska or Canada would be 2014 at the earliest. She says size dosn't matter but all women say that :) Any recommendations??

I drew unit 18 in wyoming with 6 pref points and had a great hunt. Only saw one bull moose but that was all I needed.
great hunt and lots of good moose meat.Shot him on the first day of season at arround 9 A.M. .Took the rest of that day and most of the next day to pack him out.Scouted the area for four days before season and only saw three cows with calves and on opening day I found the bull.
Probably will never have the chance to do it again but will never forget the hunt.
Good luck to you with your decision.

I also took a moose with Pine Portage Lodge in Ontario.Kind of expensive but first class operation.
I think the cost now is arround $5000 for a week long hunt ,everything including license included.The week I was there they had 12 hunters and took 9 bull moose.

I would be careful about rushing into a "not so prime" unit for your wife's moose hunt. If she really wants a bullwinkle, you don't want the hunt to end up being so difficult and discouraging that she will never want to hunt again. Idaho would be a for sure application for me. I would also put her in for the random draws in Wyoming and Ut. because you never know when "lady" luck might smile on her. If you have the bucks, and you really want a great experience, hunt with a reputable outfitter.
Good luck to you and your Mrs!

A moose hunt had been on my bucket list for a while so I will share the info I have.

Alaska Interior

I went on an Alaska Dall sheep hunt in 2010, I thought I would go back there and hunt moose if I saw any moose, I only saw one moose. The guide did say the moose would move into that area later. But I left on August 28th and moose season opened on Sept. 1st. I think hunts in this area would be $10,000 to $14,000 and success might be 50%. Would have been spike camp, sleep under a tarp, eat MREs, etc. Legal bull had to be 50 inches. I didn't go back.

Alberta

They hunt moose in flat country in Alberta, cabin or lodge hunts, some farm country, at least some areas don't have antler restriction so you may be looking for a 30 to 50 inch moose. Some outfitters have good success, maybe a $6K to $7K hunt.

Newfoundland

Smaller moose, maybe 24 to 40 inches. Some outfitters have good success. Maybe $4K to $6K.

Yukon or Northwest Territories

Top end hunts. 90% to 100% success on big moose, $16,000 to $20,000. More than I wanted to spend on a hunt.

British Columbia

This is the hunt I went on. Fly in to a cabin, then a lot of horseback riding. Three point brow tine or 10 points on one side restriction. Not many moose less than 40 inches would be legal. Representative moose for this area were 45 to 50 inches with some over 50. Four hunters with moose tags killed two bulls. Of course I was told this was a really bad year and they usually do a lot better. (I think I have heard that on every guided hunt I have been on.) I killed a 48 inch moose and I am happy with that. Hunts in this area are $7,000 to $12,000, mine was $9,500 plus license, travel, etc.

Hope this helps

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-13 AT 08:42AM (MST)[p]I appreciate all of the info. I'm going to put her in for Idaho this year, just have to figure out which unit. And I'll put her in the draw in Wyoming for a unit that gives out random draw tags so she's dangerous there. And the 1/1,000,000 chance in Utah too.

When I said Alaska, I really meant Alaska or Canada. My Dad has been with an outfitter in Canada twice and had shot opportunities both times so that's an option. And I met a moose guide in Alberta on a waterfowl hunt that has good success but he mainly does archery hunts. Real funny, down to earth guy. That one would be fun.

Seems I have some research to do while keeping my fingers crossed for a shiras tag this year. I'd prefer hauling the horses somewhere in the US rather than the headaches of air flight, meat shipping, etc.

PS: thanks for the PM Please

I have been lucky enough to draw a moose tag in Wyoming and Utah as well as helping my son when he drew a tag in Wyoming.All three were great hunts. Let me know if I can be any help.
PM sent.

Rick

We still have some good ones here in SE Idaho. PM me for some discussion of what you are really looking for.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom