More bullets..............

adamsoa

So there we were.........My daughter and I were out Saturday morning chasing elk. We'd called in a nice 5 point who saw us before we saw him and he made a clean getaway. We watched a few more cows but as none of them were looking to grow horns decided to call it a day.
As we hiked up the ridge we met a guy coming down with horses. He was headed to the bottom of the canyon to get an elk he's shot that morning.
He was nice and told us to find a good seat as he would be moving down the canyon and might kick something out for us to shoot. He then asked us if we heard the 11 shots that morning.
I told him that we had but they seemed like they came from a long way away.
He told us that it was him and that he'd been shooting at his bull from 800 yards with his .270, but that he'd finally got it. There had been 2 bulls running together.
We took our seat and waited for about 15-20 minutes and saw nothing.
We started back up the hill. After a few steps we heard him shoot. He shot 9 rounds. We figured he got it. A few minutes later he shot again, and again and again. Finally he was up to 33 rounds fired. My daughter and I were counting them out loud.
Then some other hunters joined in. Everyone was shooting----and there wasn't really all than many hunters up there in the area we were hunting.
15 minutes later and we had counted 111 shots. It sounded like they were all shooting a long ways off but I don't know if they killed anything or not.
I do know that anyone selling ammo that morning would have made a killing.
It was a good time to talk to my daughter about ethical shooting and distance.

respect my authorita

Clearly, you were hunting in an area along with an infamous MM elk hunter, who has been know to expend multiple rounds to put down his animal.......just saying'

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Good thing they brought horses to pack all that ammo.

It is a rare day that I am carrying more than 10 rounds of ammo when in the field. A full box of 20 means I must have multiple tags.

Hard to believe that some people seem to think that after they missed the "easy" first few shots, that somehow they will be able to make the shot at a spooked critter getting even further away.
Bill

I witnessed a group of "hunters" pop off 60+ rounds. They were shooting off-hand so I assumed the elk were close to them.

I made my way down to them to see the slaughter only to find that they were shooting into a group of elk at over 700 yards!

Comedy comes in all forms. My brother and I had a good laugh and moved a few canyons AWAY from that group of hunters.

My ammo pouch holds 10 rounds and my rifle holds 3 in the magazine. After the elk hunt I had 12 rounds remaining and 1 elk. Silly me, I should have shot off-hand and I would have been able to shoot a bunch more!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-12 AT 11:46PM (MST)[p]

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I think its the basin shooting mentality. Ive seen video of one of its finest shooting 33 times at a bull at over a 1000 yards and finally shoots it in the guts.

This year we found a 30 caliber round in my friends LE bull it only penetrated one side of its back strap. So lets see 1.5"-2" of penetration and didn't even break its back. What kind of a tard shoots that far? This bull was killed on the archery hunt so the elk had been carrying the bullet for who knows how long.

The sad thing is some of these type of shooters are only getting worse by shooting further.

who farted?

I used to think I was perfect too. As I had a run that I shot 17 different big game animals in a row with one shot each. Then I had some malfunctions and had a bad run, humbled me a bit. I'm all about the meat and making a clean kill, so my shots don't range out too far. My sons and I have practiced some long range shooting and keep track of our ballistics so we know what our range is for each gun we shoot. Seems like knowing your limitations has gone by the way side with " I got the big one at a 1000 yrds" I passed up shots on the three biggest Mule Deer that I have seen in the wild because of them being out of my range (between 500 and 800 yrds).

DZ

lol at the dozens of shots taken or maybe not so funny when you think about it...

I had my day too. I had got myself way back in no-mans land up in a cinder basin that nobody seemed to ever want any part of. Steep country with sheer walls and footing similar to walking on BB's. Once i had finally gotten to my glassing point, i soon spotted a real nice 4x4 Blacktail cross buck looking right at me from inside a manzinita brush line, what looked like several hundred yards away.

Range Finders hadn't been invented yet and there were several little fingers and valleys coming down between me and the buck so that always makes judging distance a bit harder. I was locked in the prone position with my first well thought out shot. The buck didn't move. Second shot, same thing. Now i was getting frustrated as i was not at all used to my 25-06 not killing on the first shot. Again and again i adjusted for the buck being closer or farther but the deer didn't hardly move until he finally walked off when i was down to two shells left of the 13 or 14 total that i then had with me.

VERY HUMBLING!! After checking and finding no blood or sign of any hits, i started picking my way back down to where i had a little camp set up when i got the feeling in the hairs on the back of my neck one gets when felt that i was not alone. Sure enough, up behind me and to my left was a small buck at less than a 100 yds, looking down at me from his rocky perch. Ordinarily, i'd not shoot such a small buck in there because of the extreme difficulty of safely getting a deer, or oneself, out of there but all those misses must have got to my thought process. I turned, aimed, and offhand, cleanly took probably the smallest buck i have ever taken in all my adult life.

Now days, i have a good rangefinder, i practice a lot using the rangefinder in conjunction with my rifles at various ranges and know my limits. Something like that ain't happening ever again. I sure hope not anyways! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The cost of a NR tag, equals out to more shooting so the price of rounds spend isn't one shot for $300 so if you shoot 10 time the price of each bullet is now $30, so if you shoot 30 times the cost is only $10, This way you get your money worth for the price you have to pay for the tag. (Its all in the Math)

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Unbelievable!
I have to think after the first 33 shots from the guy with horses the rest were out of spite from discouraged hunters.
But who knows... maybe that canyon had a hundred and eleven bull elk in it!

Sometimes poor preparation or other factors kick in I wonder how many hunters go to the range the week before and fire a few rounds at a paper plate from a bench rest and call it good. Then in the field, there are all kinds of things that come into play,such as cold or chill, terrain, shadows,lighting, cover,sight picture/alignment, "buck fever", even wanting a deer so badly you forget to do the basics at the moment that matters most,etc.
I had an experience years ago in my younger days. I was hunting and jumped a nice buck on the run.After 7 misses(all poor shot selections),and with the buck what I deemed still in range, I was so disappointed in myself, I walked back to camp. I complained that I missed 'cause my rifle scope must be off. Well, my brother set a pop can out about 100 yds., drilled it with one shot, said 'your turn', and I hit it, too!We all had a laugh about my "buck fever" when it was "crunch time" must have kicked in. The very next morning, I was fortunate to encounter the same buck on the move, but waited for a good and proper shot, went prone with a pack rest, and harvested him with one shot at about two hundred yds.

Things have changed for sure since I was young and they will only change more the older I get.

My first year I was old enough to hunt (15 years old) I was about 500 yards from at the time the biggest buck I had ever seen. Didn't even think of shooting that far and my dad would have never let me.

Dad said if we just drop down this draw and up the other side we will be within 250 yards and he would give me first shot. While sneaking through the draw another hunter came onto the buck and jumped him out of the area. We never saw him again.

My point to the story is I still have that same gun and shoot it out to 500 yards on the range and hit really well with it. Well enough that I could justify that shot on an animal.

But it seems that there has become less respect for the animal as time goes on. It seems that trophy, Score and killing has become the way of hunting.

I heard two kids talking at my sons wrestling practice about their first hunts this year with muzzleloaders. One boy said they saw two big bucks about 400 yards away and they crack off a couple shots only to miss. His comment was "We gotta give it a shot". Do You? is my question.

The other boy mention that he hit a little two point could not find him after the blood dried up. He didn't seem at all upset and he mentioned that at least it was good experience. I remember how sick I felt a just the thought of wounding and not finding an animal.

Not trying to convince anyone on how to hunt. I believe you should always try to get better at what you do and continue to surpass you your limits. Just noticing the change from when I was younger and what hunting was like for me and how alot of people view it now.

The funny thing is I never carry that many bullets in the first place. I always felt a magazine full was plenty.

Oh Well, Carry on

Broadside, Very nicely said, +1

Your last comment though got me thinking just why i have usually carried more than a dozen shells and use a ammo pouch to do that. 3 shots in a row is the international recognized signal for distress or help needed. Maybe Hunters Education Class way back when, not sure when i picked up this bit of info , yet it has been with me a long time. I usually seemed to get in some nasty awful rugged places and usually by myself. I pack "extra" ammo mostly, just in case i might need help from injury and needed to use a series of 3 shot strings.

Twice in my hunting career going back near 50 years now, i can think of circumstances where i shot more than a rifle full at a buck. One, i put a good hit on with the first shot but didn't put him down. The following shots probably missing due to my youth and excitement, hurrying to finish the job. That time too, i was not very proud of my shooting results, even after i just walked up closer and finished the job with the one or two remaining shells that i had on me. Good hunting guys and gals!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Sage,

Your comments are right. There are plenty of reasons to carry more ammo.

I was just meaning that a magizine full seemed like more than enough shots to kill a deer or elk to me back then.

It just seemed like if I was going to shoot there was a pretty good chance I would hit my mark and one bullet would be enough.

I know there are situations where people miss and get excited and what not. Just from what I can remember between my grandpa, uncles and dad, it only seemed to take one shot.

I probably carried more like a box of bullets (20) with me when hunting, just never needed that much.

I went over to Modoc County (CA) one year to chase geese. It was deer season at the time. It started to snow and deer were moving all over. I saw a lot of really great bucks. I met a guy on the road who was going to town to get more shells. He said he emptied two boxes in two days. Cracked me up. LOL

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom