MORE WY MULIE UNIT HELP

MITROLL

I have to hunt after Nov 1 and that leaves 3 units with 100% draw that I can possibly combine with Antelope. I still need some info on do it yourself public land hunts for Region C area 163 & 169. Also region F area 105, 121,122, & 124. Any info will be helpful such as public access, deer #s, lodging or camping. Someone already gave me info on Region A. I may combine with antelope if I pick reg A or C. I understand that some other units in C such as 17, 23, 27, 29, 30, 32, & 33 have difficult public access. Any info on this will help also. I am not looking for giant trophies, just want to have opportunities at some decent bucks. I will need vehical access and/or areas and that I can hike in from my vehical. I don't want to have to do a lot of road hunting. Would rather do some leg work to get at more and better deer without killing myself, especially since I'm a flatlander from Michigan. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've watched this for a while and thought I'd try to get you a response to get something started. I don't know much about C or F, but I used to live in region A. I'd say that most of the public lands there are better suited to whitetails than mule deer. You'll see a lot more whitetails than mule deer in most of the region A public country. Since you are from Michigan, that may not be what you are looking for. And it might be the same for many of those late season areas in C as well.

You might try calling the Game Wardens in the respective areas, or even the Cahambers of Commerce. They might all have some info on ranchers that allow trespass fee hunting or other areas you can hunt. You might struggle to find a public land mule deer in November in Wyoming. There really aren't many November mule deer licenses and the access could be tough.

Good luck and I hope you hear from others. I'm not much help.

Far as I know, the only Mule deer hunting in Reg. C in Nov. would be a few areas with type 6 still open--doe/fawn tags, and probably only on private land.
Reg. A has got it's Mule deer, but I'll line it up with a landowner before taking a chance on catching a nice one in the Public, and I live only an hour away, not a thousand miles.
ICM calls it good--probably 95% of the deer I've seen on a public land hunt in A are Whitetail. The patches of public down off the BHNF aren't bad if you're the first one in there. Muleys there don't even break a sweat jumping into private, though. In about 15 years of mooching around in the Wyo. Black Hills N.F. for all sorts of purposes, the best Muley I've seen was about an 18" three-pt. 3 years ago, sparring with a 2x3, not 200 yds. from a bunch of Whitetails, just out of Sundance (a Black Hills-west-side-standard-small 4x4 Whitey filled the tag).
I don't wish to discourage, but facts is facts. If I had to wait 'til November for Mule deer, I'd be bee-lining it to Cody, take my chances, and hope to heck I get lucky.

Consider MT. If you apply for the deer/elk combo tag, its a pretty good bet you'll get one. Then you have a tag good for all of november for all but about 15 districts in the state.

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

How about a hunt that starts Nov 15? As a yooper I thought I would throw that out there for a troll:} If you want to talk about region F a bit send me a private message.

Thanks for the info. Back to the drawing board. I take it that the mulies are pressured onto private land early in the season. Any opinions on REG F. I'm coming out here cold turkey so any of your info is helpful. Just want to get out of Michigan and Nov 15 doesn't mean %&%* to me since the DNR has screwed up Michigan's deer herd so much. Thanks again.

Haven't toted gun in those parts for over 9 years, so I'm not much qualified to give notes on F. One piece of advice a guy could figure on going in as a newbie would be get in there and Learn The Darn Roads! The territory open for Nov. is pretty big, Gen. or Lim., and "where's the deer?" doesn't do much good if someone's never laid eyes on the country. This tends to pertain to basin and high plains areas quite a bit, and a guy doesn't have to post his land, hunter has to know which fence line means what.
That's the best line of b.s. I can muster this morning.

Thanks RUMPROAST. That's some good advice. I've never been there but I have to start somewhere. I'll have maps in hand b4 I go. I'm just trying to narrow down an area. After I draw a tag I'll talk to biologists some more and ask more questions here. Every little bit helps especially for a flatlander newbie. Thanks again.

Yer welcome. What the heck...I was born in Michigan, so I was green to this country once...can't rember dat far back too good, dough.

Maybe I got lucky but the very best biologist I ever talked to was in Wyoming. Gave me real good advice on a pack-in elk hunt bordering a wilderness area. Spent 45 minutes easy on the phone with him doing all of the talking. Got the feeling from that experence that They treat non-resident hunter as customers instead of nuisances. I'd take the advice of calling the region offices of areas you are interested in and asking to talk to the biologist. They are in the field, know the regs and seem to want to really help. GOOD LUCK

I've had good and bad experiences talking to Biologists in WY. Sometimes the game wardens can be helpful as well but they seem to be more difficult to get ahold of if you are calling from out of state. I would say that there has been a noticeable change (from good to bad) in the quality and quantity of advice I have gotten from WY biologists in the past 2-3 years. I don't know the reason why but perhaps the turnover has something to do with it. The very best hands-down assistance I ever got from a biologist came from a guy who retired a few years ago. Wish he was still around because he was a treasure to talk to. Also, it helps to have some specific questions to ask before you call. I never had much luck starting out the conversation by saying..."Can you tell me where to hunt?"

Tim
Searchin' for a 4 X 4

I tend to agree to some extent. It depends on which office you talk to. Some offices act like its a nuisance to give you to the biologist and they want to know what questions you have. I think to myself UHH I want to talk to the biologist and ask the question ONCE! Not to an office girl. Some have been helpful and some not. Most don't want to talk to you untill you have a tag. I told them I need to talk to the biologist to help with my decision in applying for a tag. I may be done with Wyoming after this hunt is over in the fall if I get drawn. I don't like the pref. point system and prices any ways. Sounds like they hinder more than help. It's tough as a non-res. to plan over the phone, but that's life. Thanks for the replies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom