Mountain Lion Double!!

riverrat

A buddy and I went out for a little drive yesterday and seen these two lions and after a short tracking and treeing job we each were able to shoot one. We had a lot that happened in between but end result was a male 7'11" and a female 7'8" tagged and in the truck. After the two wolves we got last year and these cats now we should be helping the deer and elk out.
7384image.jpg

I guess I will start off by stating that my spelling, grammar and story telling might not be the best. The day started off as we were driving up a main creek road and my buddy spotted the two lions across the creek from us running like crazy. We both jumped out and ran down over the hill hoping to get a quick shot but no such luck. We decided to continue up the road for another hour or so then turned around. On the way back down I told my buddy that we should at least go track the lions to see if they had a kill. As we both split and made a big loop we determined that the lions were still in a little draw no more than 100 feet wide by about 400 yards long. We started down the draw and the two cats split, I went left and my buddy went right. Within a 100 feet we were both yelling across the creek that the cats had both went up trees. It was then just a quick jump out away from the tree to see the cat perched about 15 feet up on a limb. One quick shot and my cat was down, as I walked over and made sure it was dead my buddy was yelling that there wasn't a cat in his tree. So once confirming my cat was dead I left my rifle laying by it and bailed down and across the creek to the tree were my buddy was at. After a few minutes we cut the tracks where evidently the lion jumped out and was headed down the creek. I stayed on the lion tracks and my buddy stayed up on the edge of the draw paralleling me. It was just another 100feet and my buddy yells "there it is and look out" just as I hear the gun shot I look up to see the lion leaping out of the tree right at me. All I had time to do was throw my arm up to block the cat, from a 20 foot jump above me the cat knocked me to the ground with ease. It all happened so fast but just as soon as we hit the ground the cat went running off in the opposite direction with my buddy throwing lead the hole way. The cat died another 100 yards down the creek and the rest was just pictures and celebrations. I faired good except for my wool gloves got tore and a little skin tore up from either the claws or teeth of the lion. All in all it was a lucky day from the start I guess. First picture is my buddy that is always up for a hunt and second one is the tiny scratch and ripped glove from the cat.
7489029.jpg

6801070.jpg

Wow, I can't believe you left that story out in the original post! That chit doesn't happen every day, congrats on getting it done, twice.

Keep it up.

Thanks for all the comments . I feel very fortunate to be able to live in the area I do and be able to go out and enjoy it a lot. Its like me and my buddy always say "you cant enjoy the outdoors from inside the house". Cant wait for the next weekend to go and try to top the last story!

Never been that public with my stories I just have seen a lot of people grilled on here so I have been careful with the ones I share. I still grin when I think of the first few minutes after it all happened. I told him I thought that cat was 12 foot long as it was coming down on me. Will remember this one for awhile for sure.

No doubt you will remember that for life. That's a great story to go along with your pics. Thanks for sharing it with us.

River rat, you oughta get yourself a job writing for one of those outdoor rags. That was a pretty well written story, lot better than some of the old time outdoor life stories. That's crazy to find a pair that a couple guys can put holes in without dogs!!!
Great story, great outcome!!!

Holy ##### what an awesome story. It doesn't get any better than that. Congrats.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-14 AT 00:09AM (MST)[p]Wow!!! Amazing story.

Thanks for your participation in the predator reduction program :)

Had I read your story before Jan 1, 2014 I would have probably been more wary when I took these photos. I did have a .357 mag in my right front pocket:

84391-16-14_103.jpg

23291-16-14_094.jpg

Those are some great shots. Thanks for posting. I think from all I know and what I have heard mountain lions don't normally come out of a tree towards a human. This case with me must of been a very abnormal deal. But then again they are a very dangerous animal and should be treated with respect. You just never know if they are having a bad day.

Unfortunately, where I live the only way you can kill one is if it poses a threat to you, thus it got shot with a camera instead of a gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom