Mountain Lion

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-14 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]I'm not in the same class of the other guys on this forum but this is a once in a life time experience I'd like to share.

10321-16-14_099.jpg

13371-16-14_101.jpg

85211-16-14_088.jpg

I saw him jump up on the left side of these two junipers. I walked out there looking on the left side. I couldn't see him. I walked around to the right side and was looking at the front tree when I felt something looking at me. I looked into the second tree and he was hugged up against the trunk.

Enjoy.

I am hoping someday to have this experience, although walking around a tree with a lion in it would make me a bit nervous. It is fun for me to have up close encounters with wildlife. I have walked within feet of wild horses, deer, and coyotes, and the look on their faces was amazing when they realized what they were face to face with! And EVERY time, even though I was prepared to capture the moment with camera ,or video, I have muffed the shot! I can get "buck fever" very easily, even though I'm just using a camera! :)
Thanks for sharing!

I almost "muffed" this shot, then he wouldn't let me in the end.

I was heading out chukar hunting, left late as I usually do so I can look for bucks and maybe pop off a shot at a coyote this time of year. Anyways, he was in an area that burned 2 years ago, no cover what-so-ever. I got 2 initial impressions; he was big since I saw a large paunch and huge feet on him, and he seemed to be trying to cut in front of my truck to get across the road in front of me.

I took my eyes off of him for about 6-8 seconds as I unzipped my shell vest, retrieved my camera and took it out of the zip lock bag. Kitty was nowhere to be seen! Hill to the right was bald, valley he was crossing had burned hot and had no cover. There was a gulley on the left side of the road, about 8 feet deep with a few large boulders in it. I thought he my have hunkered down in there. At that point I thought I missed a golden opportunity. :-(

Looking uphill, across the valley and in my rear view mirror, no kitty. As I rounded the corner I saw him 200 yards in front of me, 50 yards from and parrelling the gravel road. I sped up hoping for a running pic. As I neared he turned away from the road, crouched under the 2 junipers and then sprang into them.

I put my .357 mag in my right front pocket and with camera in hand, I hot footed it to the trees. I went left where he went up. After about 10 seconds of looking and no cat I thought he may have come out of the tree but I'd watched it the entire time. So I walked around the front and looked into the first trre, no kitty. I glanced over and he had me if he wanted me.

I immediately took about 5 pics. There was glare on the view finder so I was concentrating more on the camera than the cat. I realized my heart was beating fast, realized why and drew the revolver. A few more pics and I backed the 100 yards back to the truck.. I never saw him leave so I thought, "I wonder if he'll let me drive back to the tree?" I locked in the hubs and drove out there. He just looked at me while I took about 20 more shots. I drove back and as far as I know he's still there.

Great story and what an experience I am sure. Pics turned out just fine! I really like the close up. Thanks for sharing

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom