mountainviewelk.com

Zigga

Long Time Member
Seeing as how we are on another high-fenced debate again, did anyone see this the other night? They were driving around on logging roads shooting 400" bulls like they were a nuisance. Not one word of it being a high-fenced hunt is what really annoys me. Not to mention the fact that they are actually in elk country which means they are risking the threat of disease and genetic issues with the wild elk and decreasing the range by however many acres this place takes up yadayadayada.

They shot one bull and watched it stand there for God only knows how long before they put another one in it. They then started hunting "the biggest bull on the ranch" and we all watched as it ran into the trees and then miraculously (from someone herding it with an atv I'm sure) it came running back to them. I'm not completely against high fenced hunts but it should be a law that the only people that can hunt high fences are the terminally ill and disabled and it also can not be where there are wild animals of the same species within 1,000 miles. Forgive me if this has already been posted and discussed. There should be outdoor channels devoted to high fenced hunting.....errr shooting so we don't waste our time watching this garbage. The least they could do is have a banner at the bottom of the screen saying that this is a high fenced shoot. God help us.

Never too late to email the Outdoor Channel and the show's (Northwest Hunter) sponsors and tell them what you think. If people are watching but the network is getting no feedback, don't expect much to change.

Proximity to wild herds is really the only thing that truly bothers me about this practice..........If someone wants to pay top dollar to shoot a domesticated elk, knock yourself out I guess. It aint elk hunting and everyone involved knows it.

Just keep your operation the hell away from real elk. You here me Rammell?

I don't get the Outdoor Channel, but a few years ago NorthWest Hunters were hunting a High Fence place in Canada. They were going after the 400" bull that nobody could seem to kill on this 1000 acre piece. Sorry it about made me puke. I sent them an email and never heard back.

What is interesting is you see these kids with terminal illnesses through make a wish foundation that want to go hunting. They don't want to shoot a tame elk, they go out with an outfitter and hunt.There was a very good story out of Oregon this past hunting season. JB

high fence hunting = high kill success
high kill success = lots of people watching
lots of people watching = happy sponsors

easy money for the outdoor hunting shows when they know they are going to kill something. them kind of shows offend most of us (me included) but they are probably fairly appealing to the masses

It might be appealling to the masses but it makes hunters look like idiots to the antis. We should care about our image.

I understand the business side of these shows and videos. The need to kill animals, not being jammed by some public hunter, etc. I have a lot more respect for a company that's willing to put out 100K for LO tags and hunt fair chase on a ranch than I do for an outfit only willing to put up 15-20 for the guaranteed kill of a penned Bull.

Zigga,

I just seen the show. A 452 bull. They mentioned they were hunting on a "ranch." Now you mention it, that bull did turn around and run back at them. They "worked" for that bull.;-)

CO,

I have never emailed about Northwest Hunter, but a while back I did email eXtreme Outdoors or whatever it is. That Jim Burnsworth makes me sick. I watched him kill a 365 or so bull in Colorado. After the show I punched in the web address of the outfitters and you can pay for whatever size bull you want. I told them if they are going to shoot pen raised bulls at least tell the whole story and let the public know he is hunting beef cow type bulls. Jim Burnsworth is a putz. I would rather watch a free ranging cow elk hunt than that POS Jim B on a ranch. BTW, I never got a reply back.

Just saw it today with my wife and we both were put off by what they portrayed hunting to be. Maybe it's just the wrong time of the month, but the more I see these shows, the less I care for what hunting has become and can actually visualize a day when I no longer have any interest in supporting this sport and the guys who now call themselves 'hunters'.

These types of hunts may have their place, but it is still conveying the wrong image to a general tv audience, some of whom may not be experienced hunters. I especially like the hunts where six or eight 350 plus bulls are herded up during the "rut" with no cows in sight. mtmuley

ktc,

I totally agree with you regarding Burnworth. I saw that episode in CO and knew the ranch. I waited the entire show to hear him say it was high fence, but never heard it. He was making comments about how Colorado manages for large elk herds and "it seems like all of them are right here on this ranch!" What a power tool.

I've seen him hunting high fence elk in MT and ID as well.

They might not return emails, but somebody reads them. I'll bet they don't get more than half a dozen emails though, because it's easier to complain on MM. ;-)

I am curious what place these hunts have? Elk farms produce meat, and supposedly the antlers are sold to lessen the price for poachers. What is the "hunting" all about? Of course I can't help ask, other than the fence what is the diff between these ranches and the guys who plant acres of crops planted with engineered food and "hunt" out of heated/air conditioned cabins sitting on ladders (lee and tiffany). I guess I am just a western diy hunter, but what is this stuff? As for disease, it was Utahs former governors family who introduced whirling disease to everyones fisheries, and we have wasting disease here in utah and colorado that supposedly was tracked to a ranch in colorado, so how long till one of our "rancher" friends helps the wild elk? Speaking of ranching elk aren't spideys DNA results about ready?

Yeah... I was growling at that show too. Was it the one with the girl and all of her makeup on and hair done pretty with big old dangly earrings ?

Well, I have mentioned it here before but I am disabled and last year I did my LE Elk hunt DIY and I did it myself... sure I had a few guys point me in the right ten mile area. Being disabled only makes the desire stronger to hunt just like healthy folks. I don't want a canned hunt or a high fenced hunt... I just want the opportunity to hunt just like everyone else. I can't walk worth a damn or very far at all... and a few months before my hunt I fell and broke my arm and hand to boot... but I could sit and observe the Elk and make my own game plan to suit my needs...

I shot a 6x6 at ten yards.. and it took hours cleaning the Elk with my one good hand... you think you are good at cleaning Elk... well try it one handed one kill. Ha ha. The Bull I killed might not be the greatest Bull on the planet but when you factor in my disablility... its twenty feet tall and weighed two tons. When I was done I never looked like those prissy girls hunting Elk in those Game Ranches... I was covered from head to toe in Elk blood and guts and the hose shooting ice water was my best friend.

Even as I sit watching these canned hunts on the TV... I look over at those Elk Antlers and I say to myself... I did it and I did it right.

Destiny

My favorite hunting photo is of my dad, out on the end of trail ridge(manti) with his portable oxygen tank two years into lung cancer. Their is no excuse for canned hunts. Destiny you also bring up a good point, I have never killed an elk and not had to climb inside of it to clean it, would love to see these "mighty hunters" covered from finger to armpit since they are all such experts. Next time you watch a show, look for a knife on the belt, very few have them. The come back on this show is a disgrace. Elk are the smartest and most cunning animal in the forest. You dishonor them by making them look like dairy cows.

First off let me say I agree with this post I believe canned hunts are wrong and in no way should we be watching them on tv. Game chasers had a show on awhile back in canada inside a high fence completly pothetic I sent an email and no response. With that being said do you think we as hunters are partly to blame for more and more people turning to high fenes to kill 400" bulls? What I mean is with all the magazines and shows putting such an emphise (no spell check) on trophy bulls and bucks and then you read on mm and other forums when somebody posts a picture of a nice bull or buck the first question is what does it score who cares what it scores if the hunter had a good hunt fair chase does it really matter? Apparently it does because if they do posts the score most of the time they get a thrashing because people dont believe them or they would not of shot it because it is to small. Untill we as hunters can accept a five point for what it is and be happy about it these shows will continue to show hunts like that because they think that that is what people want to see the biggest bull killed possible. The trophy is in the eye of the beholder not the people critizing it.

I completely agree with what has been said above. As hunters who have an interest in taking trophy class animals, we have created this problem because alot of guys want to feel that they 'belong' to this club. While the desire to limit one's self to trophy class animals has been around along time, because of the advent of the 'information age' (the internet and such)it has become very trendy to take trophy class animals and post them up for all to see. Any true hunter knows how difficult to see an elk of 450 caliber alive, even in a park. Yet, these people think they can pass as hunters by having one on the wall (hey, I'm certain that girl is a better elk hunter than anyone here because she has a couple of 400" bulls on the wall, right?)). I remember an instance one year when I was in a camp with a guy that held one of the special auction tags for deer in CA, which gave him the right to hunt from July to Dec 31. He showed up with a photo album full of big bucks that he, his father and brothers had taken on these tags and tried to pass himself off as a big time hunter. He asked us where he should go and we told him our opinion. He said others had told him the same thing, then said he didn't have a clue where to hunt in that area. My reply was to go down there and start scouting because this was a wintering area and the big bucks were regularly seen from the highway. The bottom line was that he had never killed a buck without someone taking him by the hand and saying,'There, shoot that one' and had no clue how to do it on his own. Yet, he had no problem pretending to be a big 'trophy hunter' because he had plenty of money to by the tags. We allow this under the guise of raising money for wildlife, but I bet it will be something that will come back to bite this sport in the butt!

MsDestiny, kudos to you and your elk hunt. I would love to see pictures of you and your elk and I'm impressed with your drive and spirit to kill and clean your elk by yourself. That hunt says a lot more about you than just being a driven hunter. Congrats to you! fatrooster.

Did anyone see Higher ground outdoors where Jodi shoots an elk in Colorado. That was under high fence and they never said a word about it. They act like Weston calls the bull in with his new calls. Pretty sad.
Elkhuntr

I DVR all these shows and usually look at the web sites for the ranches they hunt and then I UN-DVR the shows that hunt high fence hunts. I did see that Higher Ground Outdoors and feel stupid for not checking....that sucks!

I really was amazed at some of the animals being killed on the outdoor channel and immediatly wondered how so many B&C animals were getting shot but never entered, and no stories in any magazines....I soon figured it out. What a bunch of turds. Just tell us it's a fake hunt up front and let us decide whether to watch it or not....obviously there is a reason they don't tell us, MAYBE THEY THINK WE DO CARE AND WILL QUIT WATCHING???

Watching that chick hunt Mountainview Ranch was a huge waste of time...I started paying attention when they said they were going after "the biggest bull on the ranch"...What? Hmm..thats b.s. but it got better after she dumps the bull and the guides making random guesses that it could be 450 or 500, and they show 452 on the screen! I deleted it right then and then looked up the ranch....what a complete joke!

We need to PERMANANTLY name it something other then "hunting." I don't care if people shoot tame, pen raised game, but lets call it "butchering" not "hunting."

We can't email each show, so lets all email the OutDoor Channel as well as griping and complaining on here...

I don't think I would ever use a guide, but I really liked Outback with Mossback when I used to have Dish Network before they got rid of the Mens Channel. Lots of mullets to laugh at but each show they killed huge animals and guess what??? You would actually see those animals again in magazines and entered in B&C.... Those are the kind of shows I would like to see!

Tell the Outdoor Channel what you think. If one of you computer geniuses would find and post the email address we need to use to contact them I would use it and I'm sure many others on here would too. (course I might tell em I hate Whitetail hunts from tree stands and turkey hunting shows too, but thats ok right?)

Fill out their form and you should get an email back. Their contact info is...

CORPORATE OFFICE
Outdoor Channel
43445 Business Park Drive, Suite 103
Temecula, CA 92590
Tel: 800-770-5750

Well I went through most of the form until I read the bottom that informs me they are keeping my information ect, they don't sell it to third parties...what about second parties????

At the end it says that if you don't like it then don't fill out the form and call this number: 951-699-6991......

I will be doing that Monday morning. Zigga thanks for posting their other info.

I just sent this on their comment form. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

"While it is anyones right to hunt either fair chase or High Fence. I think you owe it to your viewers to let them know which episodes are either one or the other. Your recent airing of Jim Burnworth made me upset. Please do all of us hunters a favor so that we aren't misled by your programing selection and have a disclamer about each show. I hope in the near future you select programs that depict real hunting as it occurs for the majority of us public land hunters."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom