mounts in sub zero cold

piper

Long Time Member
mounts in sub zero cold

Need some expert advise.
I am thinking about winterizing and leaving my house for the winter, it get usually gets as cold as 30 below, I have a bunch of big game mounts and fish inside.
Is this a bad idea?

RE: mounts in sub zero cold

Don't see why it would be a problem. Once a hide is tanned it can withstand a lot. Getting that cold would just be like freezing a cape which wouldn't do any harm to it.

I left all of my mounts in an unisulated storage locker in Craig CO for a full year. No issues at all. I did have a mouse that made a nest in the ear of an elk but he did no damage to the mount. Just needed a little cleaning. I had two elk, a moose, a deer, antelope, bear and a bushbuck. All just fine.

They should be ok. I used to work for a guy that stored hundreds of mounts in freezing conditions. They seemed to be ok after multiple winters. I'd worry more about your house though. If it gets that cold its hard on stuff. Expect drywall cracks, the foundation could move around on ya depending on the soils, etc. Keeping just a little heat on would be way better than nothing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom